Home

AI Bullpen Logic

This is a discussion on AI Bullpen Logic within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-17-2024, 10:39 AM   #209
Rookie

tytyboogie's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: AI Bullpen Logic

Think its been alot longer than 5 years unaddressed. Im.curious about the cpu Sp stamina slider if its even working becuase im seeing 90+ stamina pitchers with Sp stamina slider set as high as 8 still move into red energy level at the same rate as a picther with around 80-81 stamina...yet my stamina is set to like 6 and its almost realistic...if i have pitchers around 83-85 its about correct or i just put it to 7. But the cpu gets tired too quick no matter where im adjisting the stamina and sliders.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:35 PM   #210
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan
Just playing my Cubs franchise game the Rockies starter Cal Quantrill went 5 innings and their only reliever used was Kyle Freeland who pitch 4.2 including bottom of the 10 inning. This needs looked at.
As someone who plays every game without QC, I dislike how the AI will use the same sequence of relievers in consecutive games (and sometimes all three games) but I’m not having any issue with them leaving guys in too long.

In the case of a reliever pitching 4.2 innings, I presume you didn’t do much against him? That is, unless you bopped him for 4+ runs and 50+ pitches, why would they burn another arm? If dude comes out and handles you to the tune of say 6 outs on 19 pitches, I would expect him to return for a third inning if he’s a LRP type.

You gotta get those guys (LRPs) to 60+ pitches and/or score some runs before the AI has any reason to remove them. The code isn’t just gonna say “ok that’s enough of this guy” if he’s owning you.

You should see this kind of situation as a failure on the part of your offense imo.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:42 PM   #211
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

Ok, can someone give me a cliff note version of what to do with the AI/HUM Bullpens when simming and or playing the games? I'm talking default rosters, no slider adjustments, no ratings adjustments, just MLB's Opening Day Roster.

I understand changing sliders will help with pulling guys etc. But by default without adjustments where should each relief pitcher go slot wise? Thanks in advance..
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2024, 06:01 PM   #212
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRambo
First, make sure cpu only has ONE 6th starter or guy with high stamina. After that, set up their bullpen this way. I promise it's the best possible setup for the cpu. I doubt they can fix the logic, or they would've by now.

Put your 2 lowest rated RP pitchers that have less than 40 stamina in the 2 LRP spots.

Put your best RP/setup man in the SU1 spot.

Put your closer in the closer spot like normal.

Put your highest rated RP’s in the MRP 1-3 spots.

Put the 6th starter/LRP pitcher in the MRP4 spot.

SU2- empty

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
This is the best I have seen for played games, not sure about simming. Takes a little bit of time to setup but worth it
Old 04-18-2024, 07:57 PM   #213
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

Unfortunately, and sadly, I will switch controller over to the cpu side and put in another RP that isn't already half energy like they will do. And to stop them from leaving a guy in for a 3rd, or even 2nd inning sometimes. After one meatball smashed, there is no reason to leave a RP in on red or even yellow energy lol. Still a problem even with hook slider at 10 once SP is pulled.

Setting up bullpens like above definitely help but not perfect.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo

Last edited by DarthRambo; 04-18-2024 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:57 PM   #214
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Best method I've found. Starters pitch a little more than they probably should, but it's not too crazy.

For Played games, human and CPU starter stamina at 6, reliever stamina at 5, Hook at 5 for the starter, upped to 10 when they go to the bullpen. For sim, starter stamina at 5, reliever at 0, hook at 7.

Closer goes at closer. Next best 3 relievers go to MRP, next 3 go to LRP, worst reliever goes to MRP, provided there isn't anyone with high Stamina. Any pitcher with high Stamina (over 40 or so) can't be LRP. Typically MR (and then just make LRP your 3 worst low stamina relievers).

You can also do closer by committee by having two setup men and no closer. They'll mostly share both roles. But it's either 2 setup men and no closer, or no setup men and 1 closer. Anything else, and the CPU won't use the Set Up enough.

They still go to LRP a lot, but now there are three of them, so the innings get spread out a little more.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited by DonkeyJote; 04-19-2024 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-21-2024, 06:49 PM   #215
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

The issue with starter stamina set at 5 or 6 is you have too few 200 IP guys by season's end. Not that you want a ton, but it's something to watch for.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2024, 02:20 AM   #216
Rookie

tytyboogie's Arena

very dissappinted nothings changed with late inning cpu usage...same exact pattern if they arent winning the 8th setup man or 9th inning closer will not come in..5 times the game was tied and 4 of them they used the Lrp as the next guy in...starting a inning. teams use these guys in tie games especially at home to give the offense a chance to walk it off...well so far nothin.. started my chise and have had 6 of the first 7 games be compettive and close into the 7th, 8th and beyond even extras. in my 7 games played as nyy the first 4 Hou didnt use hader at all or even the setup slot...all of the games were either tied or they trailed by just 1 run... Ariz same thing not using the setup guy or closer either but went right to Lrp...The games were tied and even into extras where i had guys on..the 3 batter rule had passed and with manager hook at 8. stamina sliders seem proper. just sucks

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »