Home

AI Bullpen Logic

This is a discussion on AI Bullpen Logic within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2024, 08:58 AM   #225
MVP

ltw0303cavs's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: AI Bullpen Logic

Well the other thing to consider is you have relievers in these rosters with 70 stamina. Stamina to me is broken in this game. To me in the modern game pitchers who go deep in games are the ones that are most efficient ? first of all if you are a reliever and your overall rating is affected by stamina ? Problem. Change a reliever to a SP and their overall rating changes by ten points, part of the reason why RP have low overall. Also pitchers stuff not being figured in more or at all in overall ? And i think that bleeds into the AI. SDS really needs to rework pitcher ratings and how the AI uses those ratings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2024, 06:15 PM   #226
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
And this usually produces around 20 SPs with 2+ complete games with a rare few having 3.
That's too many with 2+ CGs though. There were 8 pitchers with multiple CGs last year, 4 in 2022, 8 in 2021. You're getting as many pitchers with multiple CGs per season as there have been in MLB The last 3 years combined. The last time there was a season with 20 pitchers with multiple complete games was 2015. If that's what you're going for, cool. Makes sense, I think a lot of people would love a return to that irl. But that's not really representative of baseball today.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2024, 09:07 AM   #227
MVP

ltw0303cavs's Arena

OVR: 10

I did edit a roster, where all SP-75 Stamina, all relievers 25 Stamina and All CP changes to RP. I will use S&B Sliders but will use 5 for Staminas and 5 for Mangers Hook, just to see how it play in franchise and sim. Ill post some results as I go
Old 04-24-2024, 01:52 PM   #228
Rookie

tytyboogie's Arena

OVR: 0

Just to add from my previous post, i just played my home opener and i cant believe it was the same exact situation. leading me to go ahead and remove all of the su 1 slot pitchers, and i basically put the best reliever other than the Cp in lrp1 slot. and the 2nd best in mrp1 slot. im saying this cuz again, what a game...nyy vs jays 0-0 pitching duel c.bassit was owning me 1 hit shutout going he goes 8 innings 103 pitches and its 0-0 bottom of the ninth home opener and they put in The Lrp 1 slot and on the first pitch Judge hits a walk off HR for me...there entire bullpen was rested..and they didnt use any high leverage choices..that needs to be where sds invests time and money..figure out how to have AI that makes sense..this game is so great but its so annoying how they cant get bullpen usage to work better if they ARENT winning a game. without us having to rework all the slots,stamina or swtich sides to put in Rps etc. just to try and get it somewhat realistic.

Last edited by tytyboogie; 04-24-2024 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:37 AM   #229
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
That's too many with 2+ CGs though. There were 8 pitchers with multiple CGs last year, 4 in 2022, 8 in 2021. You're getting as many pitchers with multiple CGs per season as there have been in MLB The last 3 years combined. The last time there was a season with 20 pitchers with multiple complete games was 2015. If that's what you're going for, cool. Makes sense, I think a lot of people would love a return to that irl. But that's not really representative of baseball today.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Yeah, sorry, I got my numbers mixed up. I'm looking for around 20 guys with 190 or more IP. CG, yeah, you should be seeing about 1 per month per league, roughly.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:01 AM   #230
MVP

tc020791's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytyboogie
Just to add from my previous post, i just played my home opener and i cant believe it was the same exact situation. leading me to go ahead and remove all of the su 1 slot pitchers, and i basically put the best reliever other than the Cp in lrp1 slot. and the 2nd best in mrp1 slot. im saying this cuz again, what a game...nyy vs jays 0-0 pitching duel c.bassit was owning me 1 hit shutout going he goes 8 innings 103 pitches and its 0-0 bottom of the ninth home opener and they put in The Lrp 1 slot and on the first pitch Judge hits a walk off HR for me...there entire bullpen was rested..and they didnt use any high leverage choices..that needs to be where sds invests time and money..figure out how to have AI that makes sense..this game is so great but its so annoying how they cant get bullpen usage to work better if they ARENT winning a game. without us having to rework all the slots,stamina or swtich sides to put in Rps etc. just to try and get it somewhat realistic.

I’ve been doing something similar. Putting the teams second best reliever, that’s not their closer, at LRP1, the best at MR1, third best at SU1. This will almost guarantee you will see two of them. Once I see two of them in a game I will put them back to MR1 (2nd/3rd best RP), LR1 (2nd/3rd best RP whoever didn’t pitch the first game), SU1 (best RP). Game 3 of the series will depend on what happened in the first two games.

It’s also always helpful to go over to the CPU’s team in the lineup/pitching selection prior to the game starting and check what energy their relievers are coming into the series.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:22 PM   #231
Rookie

StonewallTexan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp005
What I've noticed is that there aren't enough injuries for RP to have enough call ups..
This is very true . . . though in real life there is a question as to whether RP are always being really injured at that rate, or if sometimes teams are hiding pitchers on the IL to keep from burning options.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2024, 06:26 PM   #232
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonewallTexan
This is very true . . . though in real life there is a question as to whether RP are always being really injured at that rate, or if sometimes teams are hiding pitchers on the IL to keep from burning options.
That and pitchers being sent up and down because they have options left and they need fresh arms at the MLB level. That’s why I don’t think we’ll ever get this fully fixed until the rosters get expanded or player movement AI improves.

Which reminds me of another thing: Seeing player energy on the Roster Movement screen. This way you don’t have to go into the game start screen to see what the energy is when you call up someone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »