Re: Com vs Com sliders

Ok, I have just run three more games with the running aggression dropped to @75

D'backs 2-6-1
Rockies 4-10-1

Yankees 5-13-0
A's 2-9-0

Orioles 3-11-0
Mariners 2-9-0

No real change in the stats from the @100 running aggression sliders, but I did notice that the stupid running stopped. The stats for these three games:

Runs : 3
Hits : 9.66
Ks : 7.33
BBs : 2.5
Avg : .282

There were 2 errors, 5 HRs and teams were 3/9 stealing bases.

The overall stats for 13 games with these sliders regardless of running aggression are:

Runs : 2.84
Hits : 8.65
Ks : 6.61
BBs : 2.23
Avg : .260

There were 14 errors, 22 HRs and teams were 14/24 stealing bases.

The sliders were:

Batting contact 50
batting power 80
bunt contact 50
bunt success 50

pitch speed 50
pitch success 65
strike zone tendency 55
break influence 15
composure 5

gather error freq 55
throwing error freq 60
OF throw speed 70
IF throw speed 50
OF run speed 90
IF run speed 90

runner speed 50
hit and run 75
sac bunt 75
squeeze 65
agression 100
steal aggression 85
catcher arm strength 60
catcher arm acc 40

I decided to up contact to 50 to avoid too many strikeouts which started happening when I increased pitch success and strike zone freq. in order to avoid too many BBs as had happened during the WS, it seemed to be the only real option, and although pitch counts are low which has impacted BB numbers, I am very happy with the numbers of hits, Ks and batting average. The runs are low-ish, although every game was realistic, obviously a few runs were 'lost' because of low BBs meaning that on average there was one man less on base via that route than actual MLB, but the number of runners being tagged going for stupid extra bases had far more impact on the number of 'lost' runs. The hits and batting averages worked out pretty close to the mid range in both categories for the MLB and even the number of homers was not far off. The number of runners caught stealing also seemed too high, so given the number of hits and batting averages being ideal it seems to me that the average runs are low because of too many 'lost 'runs'. I've decided to try a few tweaks based on Bulls23 'Holy Grail' sliders:

Bunt Contact 30
Bunt Success 30

Pitcher Composure Influence 10

Base Running Aggression 80
Catcher Arm Strength 30
Catcher Arm Accuracy 35

Hopefully this will mean fewer runners making unnecessary and fairly hopeless attempts to try for 3rd or Home when already safely in scoring position. I decided to move pitching composure up to 10 just to see if it may allow for a slight increase in homers, if hits and average go up significantly I'll drop back to 5.

Last edited by Lupus11; 06-01-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #82
Pro

johnriii's Arena

OVR: 6

finally, I have my new (refurbished) xbox 360 and playing again. will post stats with my current settings later, since I really don't remember where I left off. I did download the patch, so I wanna see what new things they fixed.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:53 AM   #83
Rookie

OVR: 2

Welcome back johnriii.

I've been tweaking the sliders and at the moment I think these are the best I've seen so far in terms of stats:

Batting contact 50
batting power 80

bunt contact 30
bunt success 30

pitch speed 50
pitch success65
strike zone tendency 55
break influence 15
composure 5 or 10*

gather error freq 55
throwing error freq 60
OF throw speed 70
IF throw speed 50
OF run speed 85
IF run speed 85

runner speed 50
hit and run 75
sac bunt 75
squeeze 65
running agression 80
steal aggression 85
catcher arm strength 30
catcher arm acc 35

• I changed bunt contact and success simply because I hadn't seen a failed attempt at a bunt on the other sliders.
  • I dropped the fielding speeds back to @85 in order to give the base runners that little bit of help which might help boost scoring a little without having to mess around with hitting or pitching.
  • Running aggression needed to be toned down simply to cut down on the number of 'lost' runs, which again was keeping scoring down despite realistic hit numbers
  • I moved steal aggression back to @85 which had generally provided realistic steal attempts on all other sliders and with the reduction of catcher throwing power and accuracy this means fewer lost runs due to almost flawless throwing by catchers.
  • The pitcher's composure is a tricky one, and your choice depends on how you like your baseball. When @10 there was an increase in homers (15 in five games) and strikeouts seemed to be in the 7-10 range per team. However, both hits and batting averages were fine and all five games were tight: two went to extra innings, two were decided by one run and the fifth game was decided by a walk-off two run homer. With composure @5 the range of strikeouts was more varied, from 2 to 12, BBs varied from 0 to 5, while batting average was also varied but realistic. Home runs were 12 in eight games. Errors have generally been a little too high so I would recommend dropping throwing errors back to @55, gather errors are fine. Pitch counts on both are low, an average of just over 12 pitches per innings compared to MLB average of about 16. But this isn't an issue for me, games run faster and pitchers can go deep into the game: Shields (TB) pitched a complete game four hit shutout. On the other hand good hitting teams seem to hit well, the Red Sox had 17 hits with an average of .459. Composure @5 does give a slight edge to the pitching, but I'd rather see that than hit fests, but @10 will guarantee you higher numbers of home runs.
The main thing is both versions of these sliders do provide realistic stats and I suppose that is the important thing. As long as you have realistic and believable stats for a game then ultimately it doesn't matter if your season stats don't exactly match actual MLB league wide averages. Although composure @5 did seem to provide a little more variety in terms of scores, but this was a small sample of games.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #84
Pro

johnriii's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus11
Welcome back johnriii.

I've been tweaking the sliders and at the moment I think these are the best I've seen so far in terms of stats:

Batting contact 50
batting power 80

bunt contact 30
bunt success 30

pitch speed 50
pitch success65
strike zone tendency 55
break influence 15
composure 5 or 10*

gather error freq 55
throwing error freq 60
OF throw speed 70
IF throw speed 50
OF run speed 85
IF run speed 85

runner speed 50
hit and run 75
sac bunt 75
squeeze 65
running agression 80
steal aggression 85
catcher arm strength 30
catcher arm acc 35

• I changed bunt contact and success simply because I hadn't seen a failed attempt at a bunt on the other sliders.
  • I dropped the fielding speeds back to @85 in order to give the base runners that little bit of help which might help boost scoring a little without having to mess around with hitting or pitching.
  • Running aggression needed to be toned down simply to cut down on the number of 'lost' runs, which again was keeping scoring down despite realistic hit numbers
  • I moved steal aggression back to @85 which had generally provided realistic steal attempts on all other sliders and with the reduction of catcher throwing power and accuracy this means fewer lost runs due to almost flawless throwing by catchers.
  • The pitcher's composure is a tricky one, and your choice depends on how you like your baseball. When @10 there was an increase in homers (15 in five games) and strikeouts seemed to be in the 7-10 range per team. However, both hits and batting averages were fine and all five games were tight: two went to extra innings, two were decided by one run and the fifth game was decided by a walk-off two run homer. With composure @5 the range of strikeouts was more varied, from 2 to 12, BBs varied from 0 to 5, while batting average was also varied but realistic. Home runs were 12 in eight games. Errors have generally been a little too high so I would recommend dropping throwing errors back to @55, gather errors are fine. Pitch counts on both are low, an average of just over 12 pitches per innings compared to MLB average of about 16. But this isn't an issue for me, games run faster and pitchers can go deep into the game: Shields (TB) pitched a complete game four hit shutout. On the other hand good hitting teams seem to hit well, the Red Sox had 17 hits with an average of .459. Composure @5 does give a slight edge to the pitching, but I'd rather see that than hit fests, but @10 will guarantee you higher numbers of home runs.
The main thing is both versions of these sliders do provide realistic stats and I suppose that is the important thing. As long as you have realistic and believable stats for a game then ultimately it doesn't matter if your season stats don't exactly match actual MLB league wide averages. Although composure @5 did seem to provide a little more variety in terms of scores, but this was a small sample of games.

lupus11,
first of all what the heck happened to the run aggression? I have seen three runners run into double plays on simply flyouts to the outfield. it's like they have no concept of baseball at all. I lowered mine from 85 to 50, just to see if that stops it. I like your contact/power sliders at 50/80, but I'm a bit scared to leave contact @ 50. I have pretty realistic numbers @ 40/85 (well, maybe a bit too many hr's), so I will try it at 45/80. yes the pitcher composure slider does affect hr's as well. I started a new franchise, because Hosmer and moustakas were having unbelievable seasons moving into June. both were still hitting over .400, and both had over 15 hr's. moustakas actually had 74 rbi in 50 games. starting over with the Whitesox, a good medium tier team. will post stats and sliders later this evening and this week. BTW, my "new" XBOX sounds like a miniature vacuum cleaner....much louder than my original one. however, it blows a ton more air out the back, which I figure keeps the machine much cooler. I'll take that tradeoff.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #85
Rookie

johnriii,

I can't say I've seen any bad running with aggression @80, I've run a dozen games with the above sliders with pitcher composure @5 and have seen nothing but realistic games with a nice range of stats, scores, etc, but all what you'd expect in a MLB game. Pitch counts are low, and BBs are maybe down on average of 1 per team per game on MLB stats. Home runs are down, but I've used different teams in each game, so I'm sure the power hitting teams have been going yard. I haven't kept an eye on who has been pitching, so maybe I'll run a few five game series to see if the weaker pitchers on the rotation get a bit more hammer. I suspect this will be the case. Pitcher composure @10 definitely produces more homers, possibly a little too high on average, but there didn't seem to be the variety of scores and stats, strikeouts were also up. Unfortunately I think the ideal number for composure influence would be @7 or @8 which of course we can't get.

Have you been using the above sliders or just using tweaks from them to your own? The 50/80 contact power seems to work fine, although I may try experimenting with 50/85 with composure @5 to see if there is just enough of a boost to nudge up the homers, otherwise 45/80 or 50/75 with composure @10 might be an alternative to drop the homers down to realistic i.e. 2 per game combined.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #86
Pro

johnriii's Arena

Quote:
johnriii,

I can't say I've seen any bad running with aggression @80, I've run a dozen games with the above sliders with pitcher composure @5 and have seen nothing but realistic games with a nice range of stats, scores, etc, but all what you'd expect in a MLB game. Pitch counts are low, and BBs are maybe down on average of 1 per team per game on MLB stats. Home runs are down, but I've used different teams in each game, so I'm sure the power hitting teams have been going yard. I haven't kept an eye on who has been pitching, so maybe I'll run a few five game series to see if the weaker pitchers on the rotation get a bit more hammer. I suspect this will be the case. Pitcher composure @10 definitely produces more homers, possibly a little too high on average, but there didn't seem to be the variety of scores and stats, strikeouts were also up. Unfortunately I think the ideal number for composure influence would be @7 or @8 which of course we can't get.

Have you been using the above sliders or just using tweaks from them to your own? The 50/80 contact power seems to work fine, although I may try experimenting with 50/85 with composure @5 to see if there is just enough of a boost to nudge up the homers, otherwise 45/80 or 50/75 with composure @10 might be an alternative to drop the homers down to realistic i.e. 2 per game combined.

here are a few games I have run with the pertinent stats. using the white sox now.

KC 5 CHI 2
HITS KC 8 CHI 6 (1HR)
SO KC 7 CHI 11
BB KC 0 CHI 4

KC 1 CHI 13
HITS KC 5 (1hr) CHI 16(2hr)
SO KC 7 CHI 7
BB KC 4 CHI 1

TB 6 CHI 4
HITS TB 9 (1hr) CHI 6 (1hr)
SO TB 11 CHI 6
BB TB 5 CHI 4

I think this is a nice variety, but that stupid running glitch happened again, even @ 50 aggression. it's not an every game thing, more like every 4 games, a simple flyball will turn into an unnecessary DP. I am listing my setting below, for you and anyone else to compare

contact 40
power 80
bunt contact 50
bunt success 50

pitch speed 50
pitch success 60
SZ tendency 55
breack influence 15
composure 5

Gather error freq 55
throw error freq 60
OF throw speed 70
IF throw speed 50
OF run speed 75
IF run speed 75

running 50
Hit n run 75
sac bunt tdy 50
squeeze tdy 50
BR aggression 50
steal aggression 75
catcher arm strgh 35
catcher arm acc 35

I'm going to leave this for at least two series to see if the team ratings don't make a difference (they should). hopefully, they will spawn a variety of games, but only time will tell.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #87
Rookie

Here are the games from the 50/80 (contact/power) sliders, with pitching composure @5. All other sliders as listed above.

Rangers 2-8-2
Indians 5-9-0

Ks : Rangers 3, Indians 10
BBs : Rangers 1, Indians 0
HRs : Rangers 2, Indians 0
Avg : Rangers .228, Indians .290

Twins 5-12-1
Royals 2-10-3

Ks : Twins 3, Royals 2
BBs : Twins 1, Royals 2
HRs : Twins 1, Royals 0
Avg : Twins .307, Royals .322

Rays 4-13-0
Mariners 0-4-1

Ks : Rays 10, Mariners 12
BBs : Rays 1, Mariners 5
HRs : Rays 0, Mariners 0
Avg : Rays .351, Mariners .156

Athletics 2-4-3
Red Sox 9-17-0

Ks : A's 5, Red Sox 7
BBs : A's 3, Red Sox 4
HRs : A's 0, Red Sox 3
Avg : A's .148, Red Sox .459

Tigers 1-5-3
White Sox 6-11-0

Ks : Tigers 4, White Sox 5
BBs : Tigers 3, White Sox 1
HRs : Tigers 1, White Sox 1
Avg : Tigers .172, White Sox .297

Blue Jays 2-8-2
Orioles 4-9-1

Ks : Blue Jays 7, Orioles 6
BBs : Blue Jays 2, Orioles 2
HRs : Blue Jays 1, Orioles 0
Avg : Blue Jays .228, Orioles .264

Yankees 5-7-0
Angels 1-13-0

Ks : Yankees 7, Angels 10
BBs : Yankees 4, Angels 3
HRs : Yankees 1, Angels 0
Avg : Yankees .218, Angels .371

Phillies 1-6-1
Pirates 1-5-0

The Phillies eventually won this game 2-1 after 15 innings

Ks : Phillies 7, Pirates 11
BBs : Phillies 0, Pirates 2
HRs : Phillies 1, Pirates 1
Avg : Phillies .193, Pirates .156

The only real issue here was the number of errors, but this problem can be overcome by dropping throwing errors back down to 55. Pitch counts were low-ish as mentioned above, but not a problem. HRs a little under ideal, but this could just be due to the matchups, I've decided to run a similar number of games with a 50/85 (contact/power) setup with composure @5 to see if this gives the small boost to power. But all the games gave realistic stats, and a good variety of scores.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #88
Pro

johnriii's Arena

Quote:
Here are the games from the 50/80 (contact/power) sliders, with pitching composure @5. All other sliders as listed above.

Rangers 2-8-2
Indians 5-9-0

Ks : Rangers 3, Indians 10
BBs : Rangers 1, Indians 0
HRs : Rangers 2, Indians 0
Avg : Rangers .228, Indians .290

Twins 5-12-1
Royals 2-10-3

Ks : Twins 3, Royals 2
BBs : Twins 1, Royals 2
HRs : Twins 1, Royals 0
Avg : Twins .307, Royals .322

Rays 4-13-0
Mariners 0-4-1

Ks : Rays 10, Mariners 12
BBs : Rays 1, Mariners 5
HRs : Rays 0, Mariners 0
Avg : Rays .351, Mariners .156

Athletics 2-4-3
Red Sox 9-17-0

Ks : A's 5, Red Sox 7
BBs : A's 3, Red Sox 4
HRs : A's 0, Red Sox 3
Avg : A's .148, Red Sox .459

Tigers 1-5-3
White Sox 6-11-0

Ks : Tigers 4, White Sox 5
BBs : Tigers 3, White Sox 1
HRs : Tigers 1, White Sox 1
Avg : Tigers .172, White Sox .297

Blue Jays 2-8-2
Orioles 4-9-1

Ks : Blue Jays 7, Orioles 6
BBs : Blue Jays 2, Orioles 2
HRs : Blue Jays 1, Orioles 0
Avg : Blue Jays .228, Orioles .264

Yankees 5-7-0
Angels 1-13-0

Ks : Yankees 7, Angels 10
BBs : Yankees 4, Angels 3
HRs : Yankees 1, Angels 0
Avg : Yankees .218, Angels .371

Phillies 1-6-1
Pirates 1-5-0

The Phillies eventually won this game 2-1 after 15 innings

Ks : Phillies 7, Pirates 11
BBs : Phillies 0, Pirates 2
HRs : Phillies 1, Pirates 1
Avg : Phillies .193, Pirates .156

The only real issue here was the number of errors, but this problem can be overcome by dropping throwing errors back down to 55. Pitch counts were low-ish as mentioned above, but not a problem. HRs a little under ideal, but this could just be due to the matchups, I've decided to run a similar number of games with a 50/85 (contact/power) setup with composure @5 to see if this gives the small boost to power. But all the games gave realistic stats, and a good variety of scores.
Lupus,

I'm not going to post any stats, but only my thoughts on what has happened in my new franchise since my last post. Royals again, created a few of the "top rookies" but didn't go crazy on their ratings. they are now 5-8, with a five game losing streak mixed in there. I did keep up with the averages of pertinent stats, totals for both teams

HR's 2.8 per game
hits 16.1 per game
SO 16.3 per game
BB 5.8 per game
errors 1.8 per game

what I'm getting at is after almost two months of testing and tweaking, I think we both have sliders that are about as perfect as they are going to get for CPU vs CPU. the game that broke the Royals five game losing streak was a 13-1 drubbing of the Mariners, but then the very next game, the Mariners beat them 3-0, with two pitchers I don't even know combining for the shutout. I'm really happy with the variety of games, the feel of the games (seattle's 3-0 game was a three run homer from some weak hitting outfielder in the 4th inning) and the way that little things matter, like composure, injuries, hot streaks, cold streaks, etc. this is what can say for sure: all games are competitive, realistic, and fun. I don't feel like I'm wasting my time, like I usually ended up feeling with other versions of sports games. I bet I have watched over 75-90 games in this mode, and I still keep seeing things that surprise me. One more thing: have you noticed there is little if no holding the runner on at first base by the pitcher? I seriously have not seen one throw over to first base since I've had this game. anyway, it's not a game killer for me, and I'm going to enjoy this franchise. I will post every few weeks, stats of my league and such. thanks for the help dude, it's been a lot of fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K > MLB 2K Sliders »