Home

Finding the Optimal Simulation Sliders Cpu vs Cpu Watch Mode

This is a discussion on Finding the Optimal Simulation Sliders Cpu vs Cpu Watch Mode within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-19-2023, 06:25 PM   #41
Rookie

ShadowGhost25's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Finding the Optimal Simulation Sliders Cpu vs Cpu Watch Mode

what are some good xp sliders to use ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2023, 03:32 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
Quote "Run/Pass Ratio

This is determined by the gameplan in the playbook. The default playbooks predominantly call too many pass plays. In fact, the only playbooks that have the correct run and pass ratio are TEN, BAL, SF, and LAC when comparing them to their NFL teams for the 2023 season. The only way to get the other teams right is to edit their playbook’s gameplan and save it as a custom playbook. Then you have to use the Play the Moment trick described here along with the two controllers to set that custom playbook for the CPU team. I have created new custom offensive run-balanced playbooks for each team and shared them online. Search for user thirteensunrays." Quote

This is overall Madden false. With certain slider sets you may have to do this to get a better ratio. Play calls are dependent on sliders. I have been using cpu vs cpu all year (and past years) and have not (and dont ever) made one player edit, scheme changes, or playbook change. I can say with confidence that play calling is dictated by sliders. I have used armors, cdcool, default, JoshC, and my own. While the programming leans to passing (which is real in NFL) the closer the pass and run blocking is (from what I can tell) the better the ratio. Ive used blk ratios far apart and cpu calls more pass plays. Ive done closer ratios and have seen better ratios. With some games even running more then passing.

I am not knocking your sliders or trying to nitpick or disrespect your work or anything. Just trying to share my cpu vs cpu experience with another cpu vs cpu gamer. Not many of us out there.
I have to disagree I'm afraid. I think Red467Doby is correct about the playbooks determining the run/pass ratio. I will set out my evidence below.

1. Back in Madden 20 on the PC, chief Madden modder supremo Sabo did a very successful mod via the old Frosty editor, I helped him quite a bit with simstats and general feedback with his work. Madden 20 (like it seems most Maddens) gets run/pass ratio wrong. Fortunately Sabo had a mechanism for altering playbooks. So he painstakingly went through every playbook, removing plays that were glitched and adding run plays to get a more realistic run/pass ratio. This was successful when using his Mod. At no point were sliders involved.

Now I appreciate Madden 20 was a few years back and this was on the PC. But there is no logical reason why Madden developers would have switched over in the meantime to having the AI make playcalling decisions on the basis of sliders.

2. Take a look at My Gameplan for each team playbook. That right there is the tendency mechanism. Look at the Baltimore playbook. You will see multiple option plays and if you give the AI team the BR playbook then you will see the QB take off on lots of option runs regardless of whether its Lamar or Kirk Cousins. Nothing to do with sliders. Look at the Tennessee playbook, 14 runs and only 6 passes on 1st and 10 vs the Tampa Bay playbook which has 8 runs and 12 passes on 1st and 10.

3. I've run multiple controlled experiments on this over the last 6 months - changing only the playbook. I have a sandbox franchise Week 1 Denver vs Seattle game ready to go - where I can alter ratings, sliders, playbooks to my hearts content.

In fact I ran 9 CPU vs CPU games today ( I "work" from home a lot!)

So running 6 games with both teams getting the Bears playbook, which I like giving the AI, as there are quite a few runs, and quite a few QB option runs (not as many as Baltimore), I got 293 runs (57 QB runs) and 470 passes (including 18 sacks).
That's a run ratio of 38.4%, which is not too bad.

I then ran 3 games with the Buccs playbook for both teams. No changes to the ratings, rosters, sliders or anything else, just changing the playbook. So a proper controlled experiment. BTW The QBs were all Strong Arm archetype so no spontaneous scrambles to mess up rush attempts.

So using the Buccs playbook I got 123 runs (including a couple of QB kneel downs) and 273 pass attempts (including 8 sacks)
That's a run ratio of 31.0%, which is in my view significantly different to the Bears playbook (although funnily enough very close to the real life Buccs who had the lowest run rate in the league in 2022- guess they wanted TB to pass all the time).

So for me the evidence is pretty clear that this is PB related, although I appreciate opinions and observations can vary. Guess each of us will look at what we see and come to our own conclusions.

One way sliders might indirectly influence run/pass ratios is if high RBK sliders lead to significant rushing gains on 1st/2nd down. With only a short 3rd down needed the AI is more likely to be calling another run. Whereas if the runs get stuffed on 1st/2nd down then a pass play on 3rd and long is almost certain regardless of playbook.

FWIW I give the Baltimore Ravens PB to the teams with outstanding running QB's like Lamar, Jalen, Fields and Jones.

For mobile QB's who can be a ground threat but ideally you want them to pass like Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes I give them the Chicago PB.

And for teams with statues at QB like Kirk Cousins (I'm being a bit unfair, but he is not very mobile!) I give the Tennessee PB.

Last edited by British Bronco; 03-22-2023 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:04 AM   #43
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Bronco
I have to disagree I'm afraid. I think Red467Doby is correct about the playbooks determining the run/pass ratio. I will set out my evidence below.

1. Back in Madden 20 on the PC, chief Madden modder supremo Sabo did a very successful mod via the old Frosty editor, I helped him quite a bit with simstats and general feedback with his work. Madden 20 (like it seems most Maddens) gets run/pass ratio wrong. Fortunately Sabo had a mechanism for altering playbooks. So he painstakingly went through every playbook, removing plays that were glitched and adding run plays to get a more realistic run/pass ratio. This was successful when using his Mod. At no point were sliders involved.

Now I appreciate Madden 20 was a few years back and this was on the PC. But there is no logical reason why Madden developers would have switched over in the meantime to having the AI make playcalling decisions on the basis of sliders.

2. Take a look at My Gameplan for each team playbook. That right there is the tendency mechanism. Look at the Baltimore playbook. You will see multiple option plays and if you give the AI team the BR playbook then you will see the QB take off on lots of option runs regardless of whether its Lamar or Kirk Cousins. Nothing to do with sliders. Look at the Tennessee playbook, 14 runs and only 6 passes on 1st and 10 vs the Tampa Bay playbook which has 8 runs and 12 passes on 1st and 10.

3. I've run multiple controlled experiments on this over the last 6 months - changing only the playbook. I have a sandbox franchise Week 1 Denver vs Seattle game ready to go - where I can alter ratings, sliders, playbooks to my hearts content.

In fact I ran 9 CPU vs CPU games today ( I "work" from home a lot!)

So running 6 games with both teams getting the Bears playbook, which I like giving the AI, as there are quite a few runs, and quite a few QB option runs (not as many as Baltimore), I got 293 runs (57 QB runs) and 470 passes (including 18 sacks).
That's a run ratio of 38.4%, which is not too bad.

I then ran 3 games with the Buccs playbook for both teams. No changes to the ratings, rosters, sliders or anything else, just changing the playbook. So a proper controlled experiment. BTW The QBs were all Strong Arm archetype so no spontaneous scrambles to mess up rush attempts.

So using the Buccs playbook I got 123 runs (including a couple of QB kneel downs) and 273 pass attempts (including 8 sacks)
That's a run ratio of 31.0%, which is in my view significantly different to the Bears playbook (although funnily enough very close to the real life Buccs who had the lowest run rate in the league in 2022- guess they wanted TB to pass all the time).

So for me the evidence is pretty clear that this is PB related, although I appreciate opinions and observations can vary. Guess each of us will look at what we see and come to our own conclusions.

One way sliders might indirectly influence run/pass ratios is if high RBK sliders lead to significant rushing gains on 1st/2nd down. With only a short 3rd down needed the AI is more likely to be calling another run. Whereas if the runs get stuffed on 1st/2nd down then a pass play on 3rd and long is almost certain regardless of playbook.

FWIW I give the Baltimore Ravens PB to the teams with outstanding running QB's like Lamar, Jalen, Fields and Jones.

For mobile QB's who can be a ground threat but ideally you want them to pass like Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes I give them the Chicago PB.

And for teams with statues at QB like Kirk Cousins (I'm being a bit unfair, but he is not very mobile!) I give the Tennessee PB.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 04-01-2023, 10:37 PM   #44
Banned

If you use these to watch a user vs CPU watch, does it use the cpu skills for your team? If not, can you just mirror the settings to user skills or is there something else that should be used instead for user skills?
Old 04-03-2023, 11:03 AM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 2

Are the 1st page sliders compatable with playing on PC?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2023, 11:13 AM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest625
If you use these to watch a user vs CPU watch, does it use the cpu skills for your team? If not, can you just mirror the settings to user skills or is there something else that should be used instead for user skills?

If you are spectating in slow sim than both teams use the cpu slider. But it doesn’t hurt to set both user and cpu the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-04-2023, 11:14 AM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustinLoose
Are the 1st page sliders compatable with playing on PC?

I would imagine that they are, but I don’t have the pc version. Maybe some other pc users can chime in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-07-2023, 09:01 PM   #48
Rookie

Just started my slow sim franchise with the Steelers! Excited to try this out. What are your XP sliders?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »