Home

EA Sports PGA TOUR Impressions (Console)

This is a discussion on EA Sports PGA TOUR Impressions (Console) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-04-2023, 03:48 PM   #401
MVP

PhantomPain's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: EA Sports PGA TOUR Impressions (Console)

Yeah, originally I started playing with my created player and didn't have Spinner or Finesse as options so I didn't understand. Played as a pro and remembered that you have to build out your player to get those shots. So I spent a few points and grabbed those badges (specifically Spinner and Finesse).

Thanks again everyone. Now if I could find a replay somewhere 😂
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2023, 03:50 PM   #402
Pro

OVR: 0

One scenario happened to me last night that I hope gets addressed:

Can't remember which course, but it was a Par 3 infront of the water. I hit my tee shot long, it rolled through the green, through the rough and into one of the bunkers on the back of the hole. The thing was, because it was in the bunker, I only had the option to hit a "Blast" shot. The problem? The wall infront of me was about 20 feet high lol. The only shot that would've got me out of there was a flop shot, but I wasn't able to use it because of the bunker. In fact, the next round I did the same thing but the ball hopped just out of the bunker so I was able to hit the flop shot and save my bogey. In the first scenario, I basically had to blast it into the rough and then waste another shot to flop it over the wall.

Now, maybe there's a shot type I haven't unlocked that would've helped me here, but I'm hoping EA can either adjust or add some kind of flop shot form the sand to avoid this situation. It's a very niche spot on the course and I don't think you'll run into this too often (Mainly because the game moves your ball if it ends up in some position where you'd have to shoot it over an obstacle) but considering I did it twice in two rounds (Doesn't help that the patch of rough on the back of the green doesn't do anything to catch the ball) I would hate to have to deal with that on a consistent basis, especially online in a tournament setting
Old 04-04-2023, 03:50 PM   #403
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by William85
I spent 10 minutes trying turn off what I though was a flagstick while on the green only to finally figure out it was a rediculous white line showing where the hole was . Progress man ..
Isn’t that what the flag is for?
Old 04-04-2023, 03:54 PM   #404
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
The way the ball rolls at St. Andrews makes this course absolutely no fun like it should be. It's atrocious.

Funny how 2k got raked over the coals for excessive roll out when you had the misfortune to leave yourself in a less than desirable spot.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:58 PM   #405
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

Just to start, as I've been pretty quiet in the threads leading up to early release.

I want to thank our old friend scagwi for his many posts, as it built up so much 'virtual hate' for my pre-order that it was impossible to be disappointed once I got to play it for myself (wink, nudge, scags....)

So far, first two rounds I played I used a Sim/Custom setting, no ball trails, no putting line, tournament course conditions, Sim difficulty for most settings. So these are EARLY IMPRESSIONS, subject to change as I continue on.

Pros
--AMAZING graphics, in particular on the newer courses like Pebble. I was ooh-ing and ahh-ing a lot in my first round at Pebble. A very smooth 30fps as well.

--Very good presentation, though I wish the Broadcast cams worked a bit better (way better with this on TW14). I switched to follow cams. Looking forward to the presentation when I'm on 'the tour' in Career Mode.

--Excellent audio, love the various strike sounds and the dynamics of the gallery. I appreciate that they chatter/buzz at the tee, but then go quiet when I address the ball.

--Overall, I like how much more engaging this game feels than Rory ever did, it's much more inviting and I feel more 'in it', where Rory just was always kind of meh about it's immersion for the player.

--Played two quick rounds last night before signing off, shot +9 at Pebble, and then +3 at Banff while I felt the game out. I enjoyed both rounds.

--Swing mechanics and difficulty....a bit of both pro and con.
Pro is I like that it's different than 2K's mechanics so I feel like I'm playing a different game, with it's own feel.
The Con is that it's actually a little tough to MISS the fairways, there should be a bit more user influence on the drives in particular, and perhaps this will evolve a bit w/updates.
Putting is different, that's for sure, but I'm okay with it and having to work a bit more to find my ranges and breaks (I use a grid w/beads but no putting line).

Cons
--Chip in hole outs, 2 rounds, and it only happened once, but the manner in which it happened didn't feel organic. Feels like it might need a tweak.

--As mentioned under Graphics (Pros), the broadcast cams need some work....which surprised me a bit.

--A LITTLE concerned that the game is almost as hard as I can make it and that I'm catching on pretty quickly to it's difficulty.

I'll not be turning off the green grid or beads because I can't walk around and feel the greens otherwise like you can IRL (though putting is presenting a decent challenge so far).

As I continue to 'power up' my golfer though, in theory, the game will only get easier. I will probably cap myself at some point like I did for TW14 and previous games with that aspect.

I'm very much looking forward to playing it again tonight. But so far, I'm happy with it, and hopeful for some good updates to keep it viable.

Even just THIS far in, it's a good sight better than Rory was, IMO.

It is the finest looking and sounding golf game I've played.

EDIT: Playing on PS5

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"

Last edited by Lieutenant Dan; 04-04-2023 at 04:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2023, 03:59 PM   #406
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpaiddonkey10
Funny how 2k got raked over the coals for excessive roll out when you had the misfortune to leave yourself in a less than desirable spot.
2K games for a lot of heat, in retrospect unfairly, now that we’ve seen EA’s crack at things.

Plenty of warts to go around here.
Old 04-04-2023, 04:00 PM   #407
MVP

sooner1's Arena

OVR: 10

Can not believe you can't invite a friend to play and both use pro golfers. It doesn't give the man invited the option to use anyone other than their created golfer. Anyone else seen this? Am I tripping here or is it not allowed. I mean how does this happen EA?

Last edited by sooner1; 04-04-2023 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-04-2023, 04:03 PM   #408
Pro

Dawgfan1's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakywwe
Meanwhile "links" style courses have WAY too much rollout right now. I brought it up but I'm wondering if this had to do with all the scanning they did for these courses? I'm wondering if one of the calculations or something is wildly off for these types of courses/grass, because I'm only seeing it specifically on those courses
I can’t speak for Chambers Bay or any other links courses, but Whistling Straits’ roll looks fine to me. Something between 20-50 yards usually? And the 50 is usually only when it catches a downslope.

But yeah St Andrews to me looks too much roll. I checked some quick highlights from last year’s Open and saw more roll especially around the greens, but I don’t think I was seeing 55-90 yard rolls off drivers lol. Maybe it should be more like 30-60 yards.
MLB: Atlanta Braves
Soccer: Southampton and Atlanta United

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »