Home

EA Sports PGA TOUR Impressions (Console)

This is a discussion on EA Sports PGA TOUR Impressions (Console) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2023, 06:19 PM   #1809
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: EA Sports PGA TOUR Impressions (Console)

How often are you guys using the shot shaping mechanics in this game? I have really tried to understand how to properly move the thumbstick to hit draws and fades, but I'm not 100% convinced I've actually nailed what I'm supposed to be doing. For reference, I'm playing on modified 'Sim' with full shot-shaping controls enabled.

As an example, if I move the (Left, in my case) thumbstick to the right to hit a draw, the 'swing plane' circle meter changes from a straight up-and-down line to an angled line. However, if I follow that angled line exactly (on the backswing and downswing), the ball goes dead straight (out to the right, in this case). I can occasionally get it to 'work' by angling the backswing on that angled line, and then finishing the swing exactly at 12-o'clock (as per a normal follow-through on a straight swing), but it doesn't seem consistent enough that I fully trust my understanding of the mechanic.

Not sure if the above makes sense, but anyone have any thoughts on how to properly execute draws/fades in the game? My cursory look through the Tubes of You yielded largely irrelevant or useless info...
Old 11-10-2023, 11:37 AM   #1810
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
How often are you guys using the shot shaping mechanics in this game? I have really tried to understand how to properly move the thumbstick to hit draws and fades, but I'm not 100% convinced I've actually nailed what I'm supposed to be doing. For reference, I'm playing on modified 'Sim' with full shot-shaping controls enabled.

As an example, if I move the (Left, in my case) thumbstick to the right to hit a draw, the 'swing plane' circle meter changes from a straight up-and-down line to an angled line. However, if I follow that angled line exactly (on the backswing and downswing), the ball goes dead straight (out to the right, in this case). I can occasionally get it to 'work' by angling the backswing on that angled line, and then finishing the swing exactly at 12-o'clock (as per a normal follow-through on a straight swing), but it doesn't seem consistent enough that I fully trust my understanding of the mechanic.

Not sure if the above makes sense, but anyone have any thoughts on how to properly execute draws/fades in the game? My cursory look through the Tubes of You yielded largely irrelevant or useless info...
I do not use the angled "advanced" shot shaping style because I cannot for the life of me match that angle. I used to be able to do it much more consistently when it was in Tiger Woods 14 on X360, but either due to PS5 controllers or just my lack of ability, I can't get that angle right in EA PGA, and the shots I try to hit never achieve the intended result.

Therefore, I have it so I still just swing the stick straight when I add draw or fade.

Last edited by MrArlingtonBeach; 11-10-2023 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-10-2023, 12:22 PM   #1811
Pro

OVR: 0

I'm the same way. I tried many times early on to get the shot shaping down, and I just can't do it (PS5). I don't think it's the controller, I just think it's me haha. I can't shot shape in real golf either!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2023, 04:05 PM   #1812
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArlingtonBeach
I do not use the angled "advanced" shot shaping style because I cannot for the life of me match that angle. I used to be able to do it much more consistently when it was in Tiger Woods 14 on X360, but either due to PS5 controllers or just my lack of ability, I can't get that angle right in EA PGA, and the shots I try to hit never achieve the intended result.

Therefore, I have it so I still just swing the stick straight when I add draw or fade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut67
I'm the same way. I tried many times early on to get the shot shaping down, and I just can't do it (PS5). I don't think it's the controller, I just think it's me haha. I can't shot shape in real golf either!
OK, I feel a bit better now. I don't think it's the controller, either, to be honest. I think something is quirky/funky about the way the shot-shaping in the game works vis-a-vis the input from the user. It would help if a) there was a tutorial of some sort, and b) there was a driving range/practice area to practice the different shots. Why have 20 "shot types" and nowhere to practice any of them, other than on the course where practice is a bit...cumbersome, to say the least.

I'm moving toward being convinced that the advanced shot-shaping using the analog sticks in the game doesn't work. I have fooled around with it enough that I am reasonably confident that there is no consistency whatsoever. There are also no official EA notes or instructions on how, exactly, that mechanism (angled swing) is supposed to work, ideally.

Last edited by pietasterp; 11-11-2023 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-10-2023, 04:06 PM   #1813
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut67
I can shot shape in real life golf....I just can't do it when I want too. LOL.
Old 11-10-2023, 04:45 PM   #1814
Pro

There are definitely people that I play with and against online that certainly have shot shaping mastered. I've seen guys standing directly behind a tree, maybe 15 yards back from it, and hit beautiful fades around the tree and land on the green lol. I can't do it. I just use a 3 iron and aim low to try to plow through the branches haha

One thing I've wondered about...I've seen guys take shots from say, 10 yards from the green, maybe 20 yards total to the pin, where they take a FULL swing with whatever club they are using. When I'm that close, obviously the only club I can use is the 60 degree wedge, which for me, a full swing of that club goes about 95 yards. So obviously the challenge in those situations is gauging how hard to swing, which in the above situation would be less than half, maybe even only 1/3 of a swing, to avoid sailing it over the green.

How are guys taking full swings with a wedge, or any club, from 20 yards away, and not hitting it 70 yards over the pin?

Last edited by golfnut67; 11-10-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-10-2023, 05:37 PM   #1815
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

I think the problem with trying to fade/draw shots may be the controller. I know it's a different game but I prefer the PS4 controller using the swing stick over the one for the PS5. 3 click I prefer the PS5 controller. 2k23.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2023, 06:02 PM   #1816
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

Looks like they added Ryder Cup stuff back into the store. You can get the official USA team uniforms, the Jordan shoes and hat, the USA golf balls, the Puma USA shoes, etc.

They're in the featured section and seems they'll be in there for 3 more days.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »