Home

Old 05-02-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
Contributor

TheKnack's Arena

OVR: 6
State of DD

Well, there's a first for everything. I'm by no means a great player. My rating is 690 and I'm fine with it. I have no aspirations of reaching WS, I'm not that competitive.

Today, I lost an RS game 38-33 in 9 innings. There were 68 legitimate hits, 23 home runs, and 7 grand slams hit. I repeat, this was a legitimate game. No boosting, nothing like that.

I understand the game is a WIP, but I've just about had it. You'd think that type of game would be fun. It wasn't. Neither of us could get an out, and every ball hit went to the warning track or farther. The guy who beat me was a 568. This was not at Coors. This was not at Shippett. This was not at Shibe. This was Oakland Coliseum.

I'm lost for words, to be honest. Part of me wondered is this just a coincidence? No. All of his players had batting averages in the .270s. Most of mine in the .330 range.

We are by no means good players.

This was, and I cannot stress this enough, a glitchy, broken game. There was something wrong in the code, and I'm so sick and tired of uttering that sentence. Neither one of us deserved to lose that game, let alone have to experience an exercise in such futility.

I hope for the sake of this franchise SDS can start debugging sooner rather than later. I'm an SDS apologist and give them all the credit in the world for trying to right this ship while working from home in the midst of a pandemic.

At this stage, I'm hopeful, but not optimistic. This feels like a lost year where competitive play is void.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by TheKnack; 05-02-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2020, 05:26 PM   #2
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: State of DD

Unfortunately I believe this game plays nearly identical to how they want it to play. For whatever reason, they think this game needs to be a glitchy broken mess to keep people funneling money into packs and stubs.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:49 PM   #3
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

I was watching that Canada vs USA stuff or whatever those guys were doing and it’s like all games are 15-14.

6382638277373 pitching changes and 648373738733 home runs. Zero fun to watch!

Why don’t those guys use bronze and common cards and play a game of baseball?

Those guys obviously really good, but show case how good you are with some great games with bronze and common cards. That would be more entertaining than what was going on.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 05-03-2020, 05:53 AM   #4
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

My RS games have been the opposite. While I have had some 6-5 games most are 1-0 or 2-1 snooze fest pitchers duels. That said yes way to much glitchy things or bizarre events seem to steer those games to a particular outcome.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:30 AM   #5
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

Unfortunately, what you mention is pretty much a perfect example of the game not playing "straight". Some games, the game engine seems to be deliberately tilted one way or the other, so either nothing lands or everything flies out, sometimes for both teams, sometimes to help keep the game close.

When the game is playing "straight", it's pretty decent, it feels fairly rewarding (hitting at least, pitching and fielding is still god awful) but at least it feels like your hitting is mostly down to what you are doing. But for whatever reason, they have absolutely wrecked their game by putting in so much code that messes with the way the game is supposed to play.

They need to get rid of all that stuff and let the game play fair, have some faith in the sport of baseball and the game they made and stop trying to artificially create excitement and tension.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #6
Pro

JHodges57's Arena

Oh. I thought we had a 51st state. I was wondering where it was.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #7
MVP

papadell's Arena

I said last year that I think each game gets a unique seed that alters sliders or how the game plays in some way. It's not a coincidence that the game plays differently more often than feels familiar.

But with the perks in Showdown, it made me wonder if there's some random assignment of those kinds of perks before the game or something. Again, I don't believe the game is scripted and the outcome is predetermined. But it DOES feel at times like there's nothing you can do as you constantly end up with negative outcomes. And also times where nothing you do can go wrong as you're just piecing everything even with poor contact or your opponent lines out all game. I experienced both plenty last year and I'm sure it will be the same this year.

Whether it's a "seed" that determines gameplay variance or something simple as teams being assigned perks each game something always feels different each game. Combined with the terrible matchmaking and ping issues it's just all over the place.

Whether it's true or just fun conspiracy ****, I've wondered how different RS would feel if there WAS a visible way of getting the perks assigned. Not chosen by players but the game rolls the perks and you see what you get before the game and can at least play around it. Similar to Showdown where you can lean into those strengths and possibly alter your strategies. Because if something like that IS going on in the background, I wonder if making it visible would make the game feel more like a game and not a frustrating mess because you feel like the game is skull****ing you for no reason.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 6

I've stopped playing 20 and am taking a break. Again this year I wish there was more offline content. It'll never happen as that makes them no money.

Having no real season hurts the game too. I booted up 19 a few days ago and just went thru all the topps now moments that i never completed and all the other moment content that game had to offer. It is really impressive how they kept adding content weekly to 19.

maybe if we have a season more will be added to 20. but the game sort of is flawed mainly because of the terrible fielding and i may go back to 19 to finish those offline DD moments and other modes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »