Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-09-2024, 06:14 AM   #9953
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: College Football Off Topic

It'll just be a little worse weird seeing these NFL coaches adjusting to the college game. The previous coaches ran a variation of his defense, so shouldn't be big adjustment

Old 02-09-2024, 10:49 AM   #9954
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

I can see why he would he would take that job. Wonder what his long term goal is. Does he want to stick in the College ranks or NFL.

I wonder where OSU pivots for OC, not sure if they'll go to Brian Hartline at this juncture.

Old 02-09-2024, 01:58 PM   #9955
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

I wonder if it is for the Seattle OC job. Nope the Ohio State OC job. This whole situation feels so bizzare. It's one thing if UCLA was a G5 school or one of the remaining Pac-2 schools. But, for him to be willing to take a step down to be a OC for a conference he was going to join, tells you how messy this situation was

I don't blame Kelly for wanting to get out of this situation. But UCLA should've fired him if it was well known you were going to fire him prior to the USC game. If not, they should've publicly backed him. Now they're in a situation where in February, they're looking for a new coach and the 30 day transfer window opens
It feels like the USC victory saved his job, but then they get blown out by Cal. I don't get why they didn't just move on. If it got to the point where you were ready to hire someone before the season was over dependent on a victory, then you're not really committed to that coach. It got very obvious over the past couple weeks that Chip Kelly wanted to get out of this situation. The timing is brutal, but I put a lot of this on UCLA for staying idle and not knowing the direction. Now not only do they have to look for their new HC and staff, they have to do it quick to try to retain roster. All the while heading into a tough conference

Last edited by illwill10; 02-09-2024 at 02:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2024, 02:51 PM   #9956
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Barring a conference championship, UCLA and Ohio State won't play until at least 2026 unfortunately.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:02 PM   #9957
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
Barring a conference championship, UCLA and Ohio State won't play until at least 2026 unfortunately.
I don't see Kelly staying there more than a season. I think he was intent on leaving for the NFL, I just think his relationship with Ryan Day is what makes this a good situation. I think a good OSU offensive season and he leaves for the NFL as a OC.

From what I've seen so far, Kelly was one of them coaches who wasn't fully willing to adjust to NIL or transfer portal. I think he's one of them coaches who want to focus on the coaching aspects.

But, I don't understand what UCLA is doing. Should've moved on after the bowl game. Then the writing has been on the wall that he has been trying to leave and they just stood there. Not sure if they didn't want to pay the buyout for firing him. But, not sure why they just stood pat and miss out on good coaches.

Last edited by illwill10; 02-09-2024 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:38 PM   #9958
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

I do think UCLA is still an attractive job. Good recruiting base, playing in the Rose Bowl, attractive place for recruits. I think Chip Kelly is a good coach, but he's more of a old school coach that just wants to focus on coaching and development. I just don't think that type of coach works in today's college football. You have to either embrace the NIL/Portal or have a General Manager/staff who is very good at it. It's weird to hear how Kelly didn't really love recruiting. He only had the 70th ranked class, which would be the third worst in the new Big 10. And how he's only recruited 2 top 100 recruits in the tenure with UCLA despite the advantages UCLA should help. I think Kelly will only do a season or two with OSU and then go to NFL.

I think UCLA is still an attractive job. They just to hire one who's willing to play today's game and everything that comes with it
Old 02-09-2024, 09:23 PM   #9959
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

UCLA allegedly doesn't invest in it's football program.

Kids don't care about playing in the Rose Bowl, man lol. But even if it that were true, all your other points are true, yet UCLA has still remained pretty irrelevant overall.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 02-09-2024, 09:50 PM   #9960
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
UCLA allegedly doesn't invest in it's football program.

Kids don't care about playing in the Rose Bowl, man lol. But even if it that were true, all your other points are true, yet UCLA has still remained pretty irrelevant overall.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
I can definitely see that. I can see today's kids not really caring about playing at the Rose Bowl unless it's a Bowl game. It is weird thinking about how some schools can not have as much success as they could. I can understand a school like Cal, but I would think a school like UCLA should have more. I get it when it's a school with another powerhouse in the state, but there's certain schools you think should always be revelant. When you're a school in the states of California, Florida, Texas, Georgia, Louisiana, if you could at least recruit well at your home base, you should have some type of success

I do agree with UCLA being so irrelevant. They couldn't take advantage of USC stretch of mediocrity. Now they're heading into a tough conference where there's plenty of other schools that have better outlooks. I think for a school like UCLA where the program doesn't really invest in the football program or donors don't invest, it takes some sustained success or at least potential success for them to invest. I think it starts with hiring the "right" coach. It doesn't have to be a splash hire, but it needs to be a coach that inspires confidence in the fanbase. If you don't have a coach that wants to put a major emphasis on recruiting and NIL/Portal, than it is imperative that there is a staff that that is great in that aspect.

Last edited by illwill10; 02-09-2024 at 09:56 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »