Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2024, 07:53 PM   #9937
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: College Football Off Topic

Hired the only other B1G coach to beat Day. I like it
Old 01-27-2024, 07:29 AM   #9938
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I saw that 8 of Washington's starters went to the Draft and the other 3 starters(IOL) transferred. So, I expect Washington to take a step back going into year 1 of Big 10 going with a new coach and replacing all 11 starters. If they were able to land Fifita and McMillan, then I think they would've been a little better to start off. But I can see a 5-7, 6-6 season at best
Old 01-31-2024, 08:44 PM   #9939
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

With Haley leaving BC to be a DC with Green Bay, I do think that's a trend we'll continue to see. But first to staff off, I do think that's a logical step up. It's easy to say why would you leave a HC coach to be a coordinator. But, that statement applies more to coaches who are remaining in college and not moving up a level. It's the NFL and if you're a college coach, who has aspirations to go to NFL, it's hard to pass up that opportunity. It's one thing if he would've went to be an assistant coach. I wonder if someone like Matt Campbell(ISU) regrets not jumping at the chance at a NFL job when he had the chance. Same with David Shaw when he was at Stanford. I think he had multiple offers to jump to the NFL, but stayed. I think he interviewed for the Chargers HC job. I have a feeling Shaw might take an assistant position with the Chargers. I think it's actually a good idea for HCs of G5 or FCS to be humble enough to take a coordinator job of a P5 school in order to later flip that to being a HC of a P5 school. That's what Sean Lewis did when he left Kent State to go to Colorado. If their season didn't go to the dumps, he would've landed at a P5 school instead of SDSU. I know the NDSU HC is a LB coach for USC and the FAMU HC is now a RB coach for Duke. Sometimes you have to drop back down a peg or two to get to a better place than you are now. I think that's a reason we don't see certain coaches resurfacing because they don't want to go back to being an assistant coach

But, back to the point. I do see some college coaches continue to jump to the NFL if the opportunity arises. In this landscape, you have to really love it and be willing to adapt to the new climate. It's not just about coaching, developing, and recruiting. It's also about roster retention and roster acquisition and a business. I don't think the days of getting a recruit and having them sit and develop for 2-3 years before seeing the field are here anymore. Especially if you're a lower level P5 or G5 school. It feels like when, not if you're quality player might transfer if you're not a higher level P5 school. It feels like the only players that will stick it through now are the ones who fully commit to the schools or coaches there.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:48 PM   #9940
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

I saw a few rumors about Chip Kelly going to the NFL as a OC. He did go from potentially being fired before the season ended, so not surprised that he's exploring his options. I wonder if he'll take another NFL offer this offseason since there's still a few OC spots open.

I think he's another one of the coaches willing to leave a college HC job that is going into the Big 10 for a NFL OC job.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:07 AM   #9941
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

If y'all want a really good college football movie, last night I watched My All-American and thought it was great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2024, 05:46 PM   #9942
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Dabo Swinney, Shane Beamer, Tim Beck urge lawmakers to pass law allowing their schools to directly compensate their athletes.
https://x.com/Jon_Blau/status/1754961964596421024?s=20

Did Dabo have a change is heart? I thought he said he wouldn't coach if they ever did that...
Old 02-07-2024, 08:28 AM   #9943
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Dabo Swinney, Shane Beamer, Tim Beck urge lawmakers to pass law allowing their schools to directly compensate their athletes.
https://x.com/Jon_Blau/status/1754961964596421024?s=20

Did Dabo have a change is heart? I thought he said he wouldn't coach if they ever did that...

Dabo is as full of crap now as he was back then. The tide has changed so much now though that his stance could actually hurt Clemson with recruits and winning. That old timey ball coach crap doesn’t work anymore in 2024. So now he has jumped onboard to avoid getting left behind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2024, 11:46 AM   #9944
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Today is signing day. Completely forgot. Not complaining about it, but the Early Signing Day has pretty much killed today.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »