Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2023, 10:47 AM   #9617
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: College Football Off Topic

It'll be cool to see Delaware as a D1 school in a couple years
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20231127_104544_X.jpg (96.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 11-27-2023, 01:50 PM   #9618
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Rumor that Indiana has reached out to Jon Gruden's "camp" to gauge interest in coaching vacancy.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:18 PM   #9619
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Rumor that Indiana has reached out to Jon Gruden's "camp" to gauge interest in coaching vacancy.
I have no clue why he would want to coach again, especially college, unless he was just crazy bored. He may be able to win enough at Indiana to satisfy them without having to spend a crazy amount of time though.

I don't know what some of these schools are doing.

A&M thinks they are a top team, overspends on a coach who got lucky with 1 QB while they fire a coach that was improving. Then they finally realize they screwed up and they have to initially settle for Stoops because no coach views them as a top school because of their actions.

Indiana paid way too much money for a coach and expected to win in the Big Ten because they got to 8-4 1 year. They haven't had a coach with a .500 record since the 40s. They need to realize who they are or if they want to actually play football then they have to spend money required to win. Allen was in the top 20 for coach pay when he signed his deal.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2023, 08:59 PM   #9620
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovarich
Well, he inherited a highly untalented roster. Michigan State's definitely beyond what he took over here. It took some years to mold the roster to his liking. That can be sped up with the portal, but most Big 10 teams are a good fit already for how he wants to play. Also, I assume he'll be bringing some players with him. Who knows what his staff will look like, but what he's walking into already is light years better than his start at Oregon State. He's used to winning with little to no quarterback ability, which seems accurate for Sparty's current situation. So the rebuild won't take as many years, that's for sure.

I tend not to think he'll out-recruit Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State, and those schools will be able to just continue to out-athlete Michigan State for the foreseeable future. The bland Big 10 offenses are the kind of things we've excelled at stopping. The Ohio State types with speed, not so much. As far in-game coaching, prepare for lots of 4th down attempts, field goals only when he must, fake punts, surprise onside kicks that don't surprise anyone, 2-point conversions that aren't really needed and nonsensical fake field goals. They rarely seem to work, and they're rather frustrating and he's definitely lost some winnable games in his tenure they could've won, but he gets the idea to do one of these more games than not, and he can't help himself.
Much appreciate that synopsis. I really only paid attention to the Beavs starting last year, and he seemed to be able to put together a winning group, albeit with some somewhat questionable over-aggressive calls...but I think you accurately pegged what he'll be walking into in East Lansing, so it should be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
sounds like Dantonio

Mark Dan2.0

I'd take that in a heartbeat. Dantonio was the best thing to happen to MSU football since Duffy Daugherty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I'm not denying it, so I agree. They can call it what they want, but it's pay for play and their employees. I can understand the sentiments about nothing really changing, NIL just makes what was done behind closed doors public now. This is college sports now.

But, the part I don't really like it coaches using NIL as an excuse for not having success. I get the reasoning behind why they are using it as an excuse. If you are a G5 or lower tier P5 school, it might be harder to obtain certain recruits without enough NIL money. Also, if you have a star player on those lower tier schools, it's harder to retain said stars if a top tier P5 school comes knocking with a bag. But, for me, as a coach you have to get the most of what you have on the roster and work with that. I just don't like hearing "we're losing because we can't afford better players''
Agreed on all counts, illwill10. Well stated.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:55 PM   #9621
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
That's what the university endowments are for (among other things)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app
No way that compares to booster and NIL donatee monies.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2023, 12:36 AM   #9622
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
No way that compares to booster and NIL donatee monies.
Probably depends on the school, but there are plenty of schools with $1B+ endowments

Watch me play video games
Old 11-28-2023, 12:38 AM   #9623
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

This is an interesting stat

https://twitter.com/CFBNerds/status/...tTmr3VLAw&s=19

The number is the teams ranking on opponent penalty yardage. So the bigger the number, the less penalty yardage the team's opponent averages per game

Watch me play video games
Old 11-28-2023, 01:50 AM   #9624
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
I'd take that in a heartbeat. Dantonio was the best thing to happen to MSU football since Duffy Daugherty.

Had to google to learn that was a real person and not a Simpsons character

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »