Home

2011-12 Big East Thread

This is a discussion on 2011-12 Big East Thread within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: 2011-12 Big East Thread

I dont usually watch College BBall, but it seems like this is the last year or two of one of the strongest conferences in the nation. So I will definitely watch it this year.
This is making me miss a College BBall games. I might buy NCAA Basketball used
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2011, 03:17 AM   #26
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
9/18/11....RIP to the best college basketball conference we've ever seen.

Years from now we'll reminisce over how awesome the Big East tournaments were at MSG, how deep, tough and physical the conference was and how absolutely amazing the rivalries were (too many to name).

I guess this is the last "official" Big East annual thread here as well, let's enjoy it.

I wonder if the "Cathodic" aka non-football league will remain, it'd still pack some serious basketball power.
This sucks on so many levels. I grew up on Gtown vs Cuse and tbh, that is the definition of the Big East. The erosion of tradition in favor of TV contracts. SMFH.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #27
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcrb
Not sure, but I think Big East Basketball will go on. I mean you have Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova, St. John's, Providence, Seton Hall and DePaul who dont' have BCS Football teams. That is 7 teams right there. Then you have UConn, West Va, Notre Dame(independent in football), Louisville, South Florida, Cincinnati and Rutgers. TCU(comes next season). That is 15 teams right there and still a good Basketball Conference. Then they have leverage to make Notre Dame join football conference giving them Louisville, Notre Dame, UConn, West Va, TCU, Rutgers, South Florida in football. So then it gives them Leverage to bring in another school(s) for Football and Basketball, maybe Texas, Missouri, Texas Tech, Baylor, but if this happens they need to re-align Basketball. Here is my Realignment Idea.

Football- Notre Dame, Louisville, West VA, UConn, South Florida, Cincinnati, Rutgers, TCU, Texas, Missouri, Texas Tech, Baylor

Basketball- Marquette, Villanova, St.Johns, Georgetown, Plus 12 teams from football

I know this is cutting out Seton Hall, Providence,DePaul but they really haven't added much to the Conference lately.

Just my random idea.
It's only a matter of time before UConn is out. We'll go somewhere, we're committed to building our football program and will want to be in one of the four Super-16 conferences. That being said, if we don't get into the ACC we're in trouble.

The ACC wants Notre Dame obviously though I still don't think they're going anywhere. UConn and Notre Dame to the ACC would be interesting.

At this point I hate all of this but I have to pull for UConn to move the ACC. Worst case scenario is we get left out in the cold conference-wise, Calhoun retires after this year, basketball falls back down to earth (like EVERY other program has once their iconic coach retired) and football never makes it. There's a legit chance that by 2015 we're UMass except with a IA football program.

I don't see WVU sticking around either, they're they best football program in the conference and I'm surprised the ACC wasn't interested in them. Was it academics?

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 09-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #28
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Conference realignment normally focuses on football. But any chance Georgetown goes to the ACC as well? They would keep many of their current Big East rivalries, as well as add some regional rivalries.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #29
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

I don't see how the ACC would benefit from adding non-football schools but apparently Villanova did apply for membership.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #30
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I don't see how the ACC would benefit from adding non-football schools but apparently Villanova did apply for membership.
Adding G-Town, Villanova and St. Johns, you would have most of the old Big East rivalries...SU, BC, Pitt. Plus a bunch of new ones with NC, Duke etc.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #31
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

Well yeah but tradition and rivalries play no part in all this realignment.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #32
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Adding G-Town, Villanova and St. Johns, you would have most of the old Big East rivalries...SU, BC, Pitt. Plus a bunch of new ones with NC, Duke etc.
Non-football schools. Won't make sense for the A$$...err...I mean ACC.

This is horrible!

Take from the Independents or something.

The BE...from a competitive, traditional standpoint...is toast. Yeah, Kansas is a good add (from a basketball perspective) but damn. The BE tourney is just not the same with Syracuse not there. And what looks to be UConn right behind.

The ACC has sucked nuts over the last half decade or so (outside of UNC/Duke) and that's no one else fault besides the coaches & ADs.

If you can't recruit...you can't win.

I hope these 2 BE teams go down there and win the ACC tourney for years running and the Blue Devils start bitching & moaning.

For a commission so hell bent on keeping money out the players' hands...the NCAA sure are lining their pockets from all these moves, huh.

This is sick.

I hope Cuse & Pitt get rained on with boos every road game here on out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »