Home

Old 10-24-2023, 02:45 PM   #6225
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: Boxing Off-Topic

I might not even watch that fight if it were on regular old ESPN...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2023, 06:26 AM   #6226
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Didn’t see the fight but… WOW!
Old 10-29-2023, 11:44 AM   #6227
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

You could see the Mike Tyson influence on Ngannou. He was doing a good job of setting up the shots upstairs with those jabs to the body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2023, 05:05 PM   #6228
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Didn’t watch but the typical Twitter posters all had Ngannou winning. The 2-3 people I saw actually score it (idk who they were) said 95-94 Fury. Compubox stats looked to show slight edge to Fury in most rounds too.. regardless looks like this was a great showing from Ngannou or horrible showing from Fury, maybe a bit of both?

Does Fury look better/more motivated for a fight with Usyk, or is he done. Does Ngannou box again down the road?
Old 10-29-2023, 08:07 PM   #6229
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Didn’t watch but the typical Twitter posters all had Ngannou winning. The 2-3 people I saw actually score it (idk who they were) said 95-94 Fury. Compubox stats looked to show slight edge to Fury in most rounds too.. regardless looks like this was a great showing from Ngannou or horrible showing from Fury, maybe a bit of both?

Does Fury look better/more motivated for a fight with Usyk, or is he done. Does Ngannou box again down the road?
Before the 10th (and final) round DraftKings had Ngannou the favorite to win the fight at -125, with Fury not too far behind at +100. One of the three judges gave Fury the last round.

Old 10-30-2023, 02:00 PM   #6230
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

I watched it and Tyson looked terrible.

HE should be embarrassed and someone like AJ should try to fight either Francis or Tyson asap. imo both are so beatable but major props where it's due to Francis.

I think one major point of confusion for Fury was Francis switching to southpaw for a good portion of the fight.

My own obvious thing I noticed was before and after the knockdown whenever Francis was in orthodox he would try to counter Fury's 1-2 with his own hook which is what caused the knockdown. Fury should have been coached to throw the jab and feint like he's going for the 2, let the hook whiz by then throw his big right - mix it up and throw his own hook as well. It was like clockwork - everyone in the building knew the hook was coming and when and Tyson still didn't know how to deal with it.

Tyson's punches are also not technically sound imo. I always hear what a good boxer he is, but he can't seem to throw proper punches. There's a lot of arm punches and weird wrist alignment - he's just really big and really awkward.

So the big takeaway is Francis's stock skyrocketed in the boxing world so Usyk, Wilder or AJ should all be chomping at the bit to fight him. As well as he did, any top heavy should be able to beat him down. The whole fight was very low volume as well - I'd be surprised if either threw over 100 punches! (slight exaggeration there). Cash in! the time is now!

The only thing that saved that fight was the drama from the knockdown - otherwise it wasn't very good aside from the hype. Scores were a bit dubious as well.
Old 10-31-2023, 09:22 AM   #6231
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Fury's co-promoter is suggesting Ngannou fight the fast-declining Joe Joyce. That's his way of telling the Cameroonian that the rematch timetable is controlled by Fury.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2023, 09:42 AM   #6232
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Terrance Crawford was tweeting about how boxers need to come together and control the sport and engage fans more. Too many belts, too many champs, etc.

I completely agree, but I thought it was hilarious coming from a fighter who was one-half of the reason he and Spence didn't fight years ago, when both were in their 147 lb primes and before any serious car accidents.

Then, about a week after he makes this post, he tweets at the WBA about getting him one of those belts.

The fighters are no better than the promoters. Too many of them hide behind multiple belts, weight classes and catchweights.

I'm 100% pro fighter. These men and women should be working together to form a union that pays for basic needs and their fair share of purses.
At the same time, they also need to stop skating around each other for years to let the fights 'marinate', or hide behind some obscure belt so they don't have to fight a fellow champ as one of their mandatories.
Crawford is the poster child of the modern fighter who does all of the above.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »