Home

Old 08-15-2023, 09:50 AM   #6201
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Boxing Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I hope Wilder can win his tune-up bout and we finally get AJ-Wilder.
I know Fury is the best, but I honestly don't have much interest in watching him fight.
My hope is Wilder wins so we see him fight Usyk.
I honestly want to see AJ v Fury as the best heavyweight matchup. I think his style and size is best suited for success vs Fury than anyone else and I'd like to see AJ beat him. It's all about matchups and that one is best imo.

I'd still like to see the wilder fight but for this generation I feel like the AJ Fury bout has to happen soon or it's gone - if Wilder were to win we'd end up seeing a 4th bout vs Fury which is fine, but I'd rather everyone fight each other first before someone like Fury hangs them up.

look at the 2nd Usyk fight - that was a great match! People already forget that and only look at the L - it was close and it was a war at times.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2023, 10:20 PM   #6202
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I hope Wilder can win his tune-up bout and we finally get AJ-Wilder.
I know Fury is the best, but I honestly don't have much interest in watching him fight.
My hope is Wilder wins so we see him fight Usyk.
I think AJ gets a glass jaw tag for life if he ends up fighting Wilder. I'd love to see Usyk-Wilder but matchup-wise the Ukrainian is better off with Fury. I don't think he can take many direct hits from Deontay. I know you guys probably think I'm overvaluing Wilder but it's a matchup thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I honestly want to see AJ v Fury as the best heavyweight matchup. I think his style and size is best suited for success vs Fury than anyone else and I'd like to see AJ beat him. It's all about matchups and that one is best imo.
I wouldn't mine seeing it but he'd have to beat Wilder to earn a shot.

Quote:
I'd still like to see the wilder fight but for this generation I feel like the AJ Fury bout has to happen soon or it's gone - if Wilder were to win we'd end up seeing a 4th bout vs Fury which is fine, but I'd rather everyone fight each other first before someone like Fury hangs them up.
I don't think Fury-Wilder 4 will ever happen.
Old 08-23-2023, 08:41 AM   #6203
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
I think AJ gets a glass jaw tag for life if he ends up fighting Wilder. I'd love to see Usyk-Wilder but matchup-wise the Ukrainian is better off with Fury. I don't think he can take many direct hits from Deontay. I know you guys probably think I'm overvaluing Wilder but it's a matchup thing.
Totally agree.
Nobody is going to say Wilder is one of the greatest HWs ever.
But that right-hand is one of the best the division has seen.
He has said before, "You have to be perfect for 12 rounds. I only need to be perfect once" and it's true.

Sometimes I think HWs get a bad rap for having a glass jaw; these are very large, strong men throwing incredibly hard punches afterall.
But we have seen AJ struggle with taking direct shots and I don't think any of those opponents had the power that Wilder possesses.

AJ is clearly the better boxer, but Wilder's patience and ability to land that right-hand make for a dangerous fight for AJ.

P.S. I agree that we will never see Fury-Wilder 4 and I'm happy about that.
Old 08-24-2023, 04:33 AM   #6204
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

I just can’t see any of them beating Fury. I know it’s HW and it only takes one punch to completely alter any fight but especially HW.. but he’s just got such a unique combination of size, speed, timing, stamina. I think his power (because of his size) is underrated, and he’s gotten up from some massive shots.. even in a tie up situation, that weight just leaning on his opponent just wears and wears on them.

Don’t think Fury will ever face the competition to put himself in contention with the greatest heavyweights ever, he doesn’t deserve that career wise, but it’s tough for me to imagine in terms of “Time Machine” thinking who I think would just obviously beat him when he’s at his best.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:19 PM   #6205
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
I just can’t see any of them beating Fury. I know it’s HW and it only takes one punch to completely alter any fight but especially HW.. but he’s just got such a unique combination of size, speed, timing, stamina. I think his power (because of his size) is underrated, and he’s gotten up from some massive shots.. even in a tie up situation, that weight just leaning on his opponent just wears and wears on them.

Don’t think Fury will ever face the competition to put himself in contention with the greatest heavyweights ever, he doesn’t deserve that career wise, but it’s tough for me to imagine in terms of “Time Machine” thinking who I think would just obviously beat him when he’s at his best.
Smokin' Joe!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2023, 11:44 PM   #6206
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Smokin' Joe!

Maybe so. Lennox Lewis was actually the first to pop in my head.

I wasn’t really saying I believe Fury would be the favorite over everybody and couldn’t lose. More so that it’s just hard for me to see someone being an obvious favorite over him either.

Watched Lewis tie up with guys time and time again and he was so tall in comparison that he was basically putting his entire weight down on top of them. Fury did that to 6’7 Wilder lol. It’s just crazy to see a dude that big not tire out when fights go the distance, get up from late round knockdowns, and still have speed like he does. Wilder got him down 4 times in total and he kept getting up.

A guy like Joe might be the pick. Obviously at that size Fury would be a big target to get inside. Young Tyson maybe too if he gets him early enough. But we also saw Forman fairly easily use his length to push Frazier down and brush him aside every time he lowered his head. Fury doesn’t have that type of power obviously, but those punches still have a ton of weight behind them.

Would be interested to watch for sure. Hard to compare any modern heavyweight against those guys from the past though. Different breeds back then.
Old 08-26-2023, 05:59 PM   #6207
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

That was a clean shot by Dubois

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2023, 07:07 PM   #6208
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
That was a clean shot by Dubois

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it was on the belt and the trunks are a little high too. Easily clean IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »