Home

Old 08-14-2020, 12:51 AM   #5505
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Boxing Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Boxing isn't dead. There's always one or two truly big fights that happen a year where even non-fans, or casual fans are interested in. And when you see the PPV numbers, you realize how much bigger it is than UFC.

Saying that, while boxing isn't dead, it's not exactly vibrante either. It's like that guy that sits on the couch, smoking weed and eating cheetohs all day, but a few times a year, it puts on some pants, goes outside and shows everyone that it used to be somebody.

I've grown so sick and tired of:
- a gazillion belts
- fights 'marinating' for 2+ years
- a million weight classes
- and then we add catch weights to the mix.

If someone would come along and find a way to force all these ridiculous sanctioning bodies to recognize each champ in their rankings, most of this crap goes away.
Pac-Mayweather and GGG-Alvarez both happened about 3 years too late.
And now we're STILL waiting for Spence-Crawford.
These are the fights that can keep boxing in the limelight on a more regular basis.

I know many people who can tell me who the champs are in most of the UFC weight classes, without having grown-up MMA fans, but couldn't even begin to guess who the champs are in boxing. And these are friends who would attend or host fight parties quite often.
agreed...boxing is not dead. it just has competition now with UFC, who happens to be a well-run organization (one belt per champ and good promotion) and gets most of the press these days. still can't believe HBO is out of the boxing game now. crazy. if boxing was smart, now would be a good time to come out with a high quality boxing video game to promote the sport to a younger demographic. floyd is gone and manny's days are almost over. maybe manny vs. crawford as his farewell fight. it will be a changing of the guard, if you will.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2020, 09:06 AM   #5506
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Good grief, was that a devastating left uppercut from Potvikin. Whyte was in total control and coming off a round in which he floored the Russian twice and appeared to be putting an end to his career.
Then, in a blink of an eye, Potvikin became the new WBC and Diamond WBC interim champ. Which is odd, because I have those belts in my closet. The WBC was nice enough to give one out to anyone who asks.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-23-2020, 10:09 AM   #5507
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Good grief, was that a devastating left uppercut from Potvikin. Whyte was in total control and coming off a round in which he floored the Russian twice and appeared to be putting an end to his career.
Then, in a blink of an eye, Potvikin became the new WBC and Diamond WBC interim champ. Which is odd, because I have those belts in my closet. The WBC was nice enough to give one out to anyone who asks.

I ain't seen an uppercut like that since the Tommy Hearns episode of Martin
Old 08-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #5508
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

I am somehow waiting for the news that Potvikin tests positve for PED use as he is a known offender. That comeback was ummmm!!! not natural lol !! and he looked in great shape hint hint!! Hope im wrong or he got away with it this time. I wouldnt trust him or Big Baby ever!!
Old 08-25-2020, 04:31 PM   #5509
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaddy
I am somehow waiting for the news that Potvikin tests positve for PED use as he is a known offender. That comeback was ummmm!!! not natural lol !! and he looked in great shape hint hint!! Hope im wrong or he got away with it this time. I wouldnt trust him or Big Baby ever!!
LOL, I had the same thoughts too.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:36 PM   #5510
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Tim Tszyu destroyed Jeff Horn today.
He should think about retiring. Since his controversial win against Manny, he's been stopped 3x.
He had no answer for Tszyu today.

Old 08-27-2020, 03:39 PM   #5511
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredia
agreed...boxing is not dead. it just has competition now with UFC, who happens to be a well-run organization (one belt per champ and good promotion) and gets most of the press these days. still can't believe HBO is out of the boxing game now. crazy. if boxing was smart, now would be a good time to come out with a high quality boxing video game to promote the sport to a younger demographic. floyd is gone and manny's days are almost over. maybe manny vs. crawford as his farewell fight. it will be a changing of the guard, if you will.
I think boxing was finding itself in a good place when they brought fights back to ESPN as well as Fox. The Welterweight division is deep and I thought Deontay Wilder represented the Heavyweight division well as champion; and Tyson Fury was the perfect opposition. I think Errol Spence getting into that car accident and of course Covid-19 stemmed the tide some.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2020, 10:37 AM   #5512
Rookie

mr420_qq's Arena

OVR: 0

Cgcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWartown
I ain't seen an uppercut like that since the Tommy Hearns episode of Martin
Ggccggååååg

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »