Home

Undisputed Update Adds Career Mode, Character Creator, Camera Angle and More on February 12

This is a discussion on Undisputed Update Adds Career Mode, Character Creator, Camera Angle and More on February 12 within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-18-2024, 03:27 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Undisputed Update Adds Career Mode, Character Creator, Camera Angle and More on F

Why aren't you selfish SOBs not updating us on your careers??

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2024, 12:01 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Undisputed Update Adds Career Mode, Character Creator, Camera Angle and More on F

Career mode is what I use to ultimately decide on whether or not to buy and after reading some of your feedback I'm leaning towards giving it a purchase. But I'd feel better if they commit to releasing more updates to add features into career mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
My big takeaway here was that this is the final update before launch...

So,... I believe a few things going on here. 1st, I think Ash after initially announcing the game and basically falling 2 years behind what he thought would happen I think they hit an inflection point of 'enough is enough' and want to get the game out, support it and eventually make a sequel.

2nd, they hired 7 senior people some with big-time resume's which leads me to believe they are going to have a shorter time-frame to full release with this added experience. They will also go hard on console release as I think that's always been the goal to have it very closely behind PC release. They also have the money for this with the recent SAUDI investment (imo).

3rd, and most interesting to me is - all the above info aside regarding career and character creator etc - what time and effort will they actually still have left for GAMEPLAY? I think there will be a substantial improvement since the last update in terms of AI, but the biggest stuff to me I'm not sure they will address. A while back they did additional mo-cap to try and iron out major issues but that never made it to the game and made me think it just won't ... something went wrong over the past 6 months (all imo). I think Ash needed to right the ship and there was a lot of wasted time and conflicting direction.

Gameplay issues that I really want to see (and they're not huge) but I don't think are coming:

• punches reflecting real life ranges
right now standing jabs are thrown as if in hooking range, and hooks and even uppercuts have MORE reach (which is ridiculous and hurts the gameplay)

• Clinches are stagnant and non-existent in Multi-player.
I think they will add multiplayer, but I know am 99% certain clinches will ship as they are now. This is a bummer because it's a sore thumb with all they great movement they have this is so not dynammic. It's simply a numbers game of you'll be able to do 4 or 5 before a point comes off then a disqualification - so NOT boxing and the mechanic also drains the stamina of the non-initiator ... very much an afterthought of a mechanic for something so core to boxing. I wanted dynamic clinches that would happen naturally and also have the fighters move and jostle a bit. I wanted natural tie-ups when both fighters move too aggressively towards each other and get their arms tangled sometimes. Not always full clinches like freeze tag. This would also really help w/ realistic punch stats.

• More deliberate, calculated gameplay as a result of realistic situational damage. Sometimes people get flash knockdowns, and ko's and that's in the game (but rare)- but the stunned states are not dynamic and they dont reflect the sport. There should be like 4 or 5 different kinds of 'stunned' sometimes in real life knees buckle and it's a surprise (to both guys), sometimes hands are arms drop and the guy moves like he's just got out of a pool wearing jeans and a winter jacket lol... you get the point - I'd like to see loss of balance sometimes and guys woozy, but also be able to fire back. They just use the gassed animations for punches while you're hurt which sucks

• DEFENSE! What they call bob and weave (left trigger) mostly doesn't work - earlier builds particularly a demo of wilder v fury you'd see them miss badly as the body bent and ducked and you'd see big whiff's. While actually playing the game the punch tracking is too tight and the movements are too small. bob/weave left to right is pretty much pointless are you can't really dodge a punch. The slip is ok but it costs stamina (which is fine) but I think punches also need to lose more stam on a whiff vs a solid connect. My main point here is that if I'm 100% focused on defence and getting out of the way - I should be harder to hit. opponents connecting 45% on someone bobbing and weaving shouldn't happen. It should be hard to hit a moving target!

to recap - appropriate punch animations, appropriate damage, dynamic clinching and effective defence would make this a kick-arse game!

As it stands now it's definitely 'good' - but that's all it will ever be. I'm just hoping they will address at least the punch ranges - that is just crazy....
Its regrettable and I know I've brought this up before, but when this was initially announced and the first bits of info came out the priority was gameplay. At some point the focus became getting as many licensed fighters as possible.

Would've been better if game 1 was focused on perfecting the foundation and then they made a sequel where they went all out on licensed fighters. Because now I'm worried that for any sequel we may lose some licensed fighters. Thats a long way off though
Old 02-20-2024, 10:31 AM   #27
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Career mode is what I use to ultimately decide on whether or not to buy and after reading some of your feedback I'm leaning towards giving it a purchase. But I'd feel better if they commit to releasing more updates to add features into career mode.

Its regrettable and I know I've brought this up before, but when this was initially announced and the first bits of info came out the priority was gameplay. At some point the focus became getting as many licensed fighters as possible.

Would've been better if game 1 was focused on perfecting the foundation and then they made a sequel where they went all out on licensed fighters. Because now I'm worried that for any sequel we may lose some licensed fighters. Thats a long way off though
Licensing is always handled by a separate department until it's time for the art department to create the assets. There's always a fear that they could lose fighters, especially considering current-day fighters are ummmm....a little volatile LOL.

I don't think Steel City was at a point where they could afford to just wait until the gameplay was perfect, they would have lost a lot of players out of sheer boredom with only being able to do a handful of modes (online, title fights vs the AI, etc...).
Old 02-20-2024, 01:27 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Licensing is always handled by a separate department until it's time for the art department to create the assets. There's always a fear that they could lose fighters, especially considering current-day fighters are ummmm....a little volatile LOL.

I don't think Steel City was at a point where they could afford to just wait until the gameplay was perfect, they would have lost a lot of players out of sheer boredom with only being able to do a handful of modes (online, title fights vs the AI, etc...).
Different department, but the game has a single budget.
I watched some Lets Play of career mode and was disappointed over lack of voice over and how everything is text driven. Especially your coach giving you advice in between rounds.

For the second paragraph, I think you misunderstood me. I don't mean the past 4 months, I'm talking about the past 2 years. With how long they've been in EA yes they needed to get career mode out to keep a player base. But they've spent much of the game's full development history trying to perfect their licensed fighters instead of perfecting the foundational boxing gameplay. What I would've preferred is if we go back to development day 1 and they say lets perfect the foundation before going all out on licensed fighters. I think we would have a smaller scale game that has a better foundation.

Edit: To clarify the loss of licensed fighters because its a bit nuanced, what I'm talking about is that when they go back to the currently licensed fighters to be in the sequel, some of those fighters may ask for a bigger cut the second time around. That alone could result in some boxers not being in the sequel. Then the second part of that equation is judging by the comments in the lets plays I watched, the game may be a disappointment, which would lead to decreased sales in any sequel. Which would further cause SCI to tighten the belt budget wise leading to more boxer dropoff.

Last edited by ggsimmonds; 02-20-2024 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:09 PM   #29
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Why aren't you selfish SOBs not updating us on your careers??

Career update from me incoming! lol

After deliberately choosing a mix of challenges vs middleweight soft touches I finally made it to belt city. First I fought for a 'continental' belt, then quickly vacated it as I wwas in the top 5 and fought for all 4 belts 'undisputed'. At some point I think one of the belts Roy Jones had but when it was my time to go for it Sugar Ray Robinson was undisputed and I signed a contract w/ a rematch clause. First fight was a big step up since he was 92 or 94 overall and I was around 85 or so. I went in and boxed very well taking very few risks and out landed him keeping away, clinching and landing quick ones inside. I never rocked him once and he came close to rocking me a few times but I ultimately one a unanimous decisions for my patience.

2nd fight... he knocked me out in the 5th round haha. Part of that was having 3 media events and coming in either undertrained or overweight (can't remember) so I was ultra cautious but had so little health that I just couldn't take many shots. After that I wanted a couple of long camps to rank up my stats and did just that. One note here - RJJ and Canelo were notables in the top 10 but they were both on the decline. Canelo was already just a 78 and an easy 'name' to rank up with. RJJ was 89 but next time I saw his name had dropped to an 84. Kell Brooke and Shawn Porter was hovering around 9-13 in the rankings and stayed more steady in the mid-80s.

I eventually fought SRR for the title again - with a rematch clause again and by the 2nd fight his stats were reduced as well. I think getting KO'd does that to the CPU (I think) but also age. I'm still only 31 or 32 w/ a record of 42-8-1 (29ko's) so maybe that will happen. I've defended my undisputed titles twice - but once didn't include the WBC belt for some reason and I was also looking to negotiate without a rematch clause so I had to give up some % purse to get the agreement. They also like when you take a hometown fight and do more media (probably because it ups the fame).

Other notes
- most I've got from a bout was just over 500k 'pounds'
- mix of believable cpu fighters w/ the standard crap ones (like blue hair and things that just scream "NPC")
- stats vary wildly in the ranking, which I like - as do strengths and weaknesses. example' before guys like my SRR which was 90s everywhere, you'll get some that are high everywhere but lack big power - so you know going in what the strategy would be.
- Trainers are a big deal as are their traits - you only get 1 trait with them if you're just starting with them, as you gain 'affinity' you unlock more traits and also get XP to improve THEIR stats for example moving a 'speed' from a C to a B if you want to spend the points there. Traits I kind of assumed you could collect as an individual but they are tied to a trainer. One cool thing is if you switch, your old trainer doesn't resent their affinity, so you can go back and still have access to all their traits again if you don't like the new direction.
- I only got 1 flash knockdown and no flash KO's and I'm a slugger. I brought that up on their discord since as someone with 50 fights, a slugger, big power and even traits at times stating 'increased chance to flash knockdown' ... I didn't see that - I def had power and could stun guys then drop them, but I really wanted to see me get more flash knockdowns (I received maybe 5 or 6...). The thrill of knocking someone out cold needs to be there - doing it online is so cool, needs to be in career for full release!
my 12 round outputs for myself and opponents were between high 500s and high 600s ... a drastic difference in my experience outside career in this game and it's a welcome one. Those are getting pretty realistic. Landed for me was usually around 240 or so unless I knocked them out so that's also pretty decent. Take away 40 for jabs and 60 for body shots and that's 140 non-jab headshots... But even later in my career I could get the odd 2nd or 3rd round KO.

So I'll probably defend a bit and at some point do a heavyweight career as well. I'm hoping for the belts to be more spread-out - I don't know if my experience was normal or not in terms of that. I'll also max every fight camp and rank up as fast as possible too. I think the game makes the early career OK, the mid is quite long though (possibly too long) before you feel like you can go top 10. I already had over 30 fights. I'd like to progress a little faster, start not as terrible and have smaller gains towards peak/prime. Now peak/prime gets the biggest boost and I'm seeing all-time greats past it for the most part by the time I got there.

Overall though it's a very solid experience, obviously as I've already enjoyed pretty much a whole career.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:55 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Career update from me incoming! lol

After deliberately choosing a mix of challenges vs middleweight soft touches I finally made it to belt city. First I fought for a 'continental' belt, then quickly vacated it as I wwas in the top 5 and fought for all 4 belts 'undisputed'. At some point I think one of the belts Roy Jones had but when it was my time to go for it Sugar Ray Robinson was undisputed and I signed a contract w/ a rematch clause. First fight was a big step up since he was 92 or 94 overall and I was around 85 or so. I went in and boxed very well taking very few risks and out landed him keeping away, clinching and landing quick ones inside. I never rocked him once and he came close to rocking me a few times but I ultimately one a unanimous decisions for my patience.

2nd fight... he knocked me out in the 5th round haha. Part of that was having 3 media events and coming in either undertrained or overweight (can't remember) so I was ultra cautious but had so little health that I just couldn't take many shots. After that I wanted a couple of long camps to rank up my stats and did just that. One note here - RJJ and Canelo were notables in the top 10 but they were both on the decline. Canelo was already just a 78 and an easy 'name' to rank up with. RJJ was 89 but next time I saw his name had dropped to an 84. Kell Brooke and Shawn Porter was hovering around 9-13 in the rankings and stayed more steady in the mid-80s.

I eventually fought SRR for the title again - with a rematch clause again and by the 2nd fight his stats were reduced as well. I think getting KO'd does that to the CPU (I think) but also age. I'm still only 31 or 32 w/ a record of 42-8-1 (29ko's) so maybe that will happen. I've defended my undisputed titles twice - but once didn't include the WBC belt for some reason and I was also looking to negotiate without a rematch clause so I had to give up some % purse to get the agreement. They also like when you take a hometown fight and do more media (probably because it ups the fame).

Other notes
- most I've got from a bout was just over 500k 'pounds'
- mix of believable cpu fighters w/ the standard crap ones (like blue hair and things that just scream "NPC")
- stats vary wildly in the ranking, which I like - as do strengths and weaknesses. example' before guys like my SRR which was 90s everywhere, you'll get some that are high everywhere but lack big power - so you know going in what the strategy would be.
- Trainers are a big deal as are their traits - you only get 1 trait with them if you're just starting with them, as you gain 'affinity' you unlock more traits and also get XP to improve THEIR stats for example moving a 'speed' from a C to a B if you want to spend the points there. Traits I kind of assumed you could collect as an individual but they are tied to a trainer. One cool thing is if you switch, your old trainer doesn't resent their affinity, so you can go back and still have access to all their traits again if you don't like the new direction.
- I only got 1 flash knockdown and no flash KO's and I'm a slugger. I brought that up on their discord since as someone with 50 fights, a slugger, big power and even traits at times stating 'increased chance to flash knockdown' ... I didn't see that - I def had power and could stun guys then drop them, but I really wanted to see me get more flash knockdowns (I received maybe 5 or 6...). The thrill of knocking someone out cold needs to be there - doing it online is so cool, needs to be in career for full release!
my 12 round outputs for myself and opponents were between high 500s and high 600s ... a drastic difference in my experience outside career in this game and it's a welcome one. Those are getting pretty realistic. Landed for me was usually around 240 or so unless I knocked them out so that's also pretty decent. Take away 40 for jabs and 60 for body shots and that's 140 non-jab headshots... But even later in my career I could get the odd 2nd or 3rd round KO.

So I'll probably defend a bit and at some point do a heavyweight career as well. I'm hoping for the belts to be more spread-out - I don't know if my experience was normal or not in terms of that. I'll also max every fight camp and rank up as fast as possible too. I think the game makes the early career OK, the mid is quite long though (possibly too long) before you feel like you can go top 10. I already had over 30 fights. I'd like to progress a little faster, start not as terrible and have smaller gains towards peak/prime. Now peak/prime gets the biggest boost and I'm seeing all-time greats past it for the most part by the time I got there.

Overall though it's a very solid experience, obviously as I've already enjoyed pretty much a whole career.
Awesome!
Thanks for not being an SOB and giving us plebs some info and updates on your career!
Old 02-21-2024, 08:54 PM   #31
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Awesome!
Thanks for not being an SOB and giving us plebs some info and updates on your career!
no problem! I spoke too soon though - all the other fighters fell off a cliff and essentially made my career over. They need to stagger career starts for licensed as well as generic characters for sure before release.

As I said I'm going to try an accelerated heavyweight career looking to A) fight for single belts at a time B) catch everyone at their peak.

I think another weird thing is that I didn't see EVERY middleweight licensed boxer during my career in the rankings. I'll also be looking for that at heavy to confirm whether or not their all represented or not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2024, 05:20 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
no problem! I spoke too soon though - all the other fighters fell off a cliff and essentially made my career over. They need to stagger career starts for licensed as well as generic characters for sure before release.

As I said I'm going to try an accelerated heavyweight career looking to A) fight for single belts at a time B) catch everyone at their peak.

I think another weird thing is that I didn't see EVERY middleweight licensed boxer during my career in the rankings. I'll also be looking for that at heavy to confirm whether or not their all represented or not.
It'd be awesome to be in the shadow of your career, holding on to the belts and seeing a young Julio Caesar Chavez or Tyson coming up.
A staggered release of these legends would be awesome

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »