Home

NHL Considering Going to a Jan-July Format Permanently

This is a discussion on NHL Considering Going to a Jan-July Format Permanently within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-08-2021, 01:57 PM   #25
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: NHL Considering Going to a Jan-July Format Permanently

I tend to be more of a traditionalist, but getting hockey out of the way of the NFL might not be the worst thing in the world for the overall health of the league. It seems pointless to compete with the 800-lb gorilla that is football at this point in time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2021, 06:21 PM   #26

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
I tend to be more of a traditionalist, but getting hockey out of the way of the NFL might not be the worst thing in the world for the overall health of the league. It seems pointless to compete with the 800-lb gorilla that is football at this point in time.
For a third of the league, NFL won't have as much of an impact. Although maybe NHL could schedule less Sunday games for those markets with NFL teams in the fall?

While NFL will have an impact, I dont think NHLs interest in the fall when NFL is on would be lower than the interest of hockey in the summer, not just with baseball on, but with it being summer.

If NHL wants to improve interest in the league, they should have more offense in the games and get a better TV deal, such as having ESPN being one of their partners. NFL has the best kind of TV deal of all sports with games on NBC,CBS,FOX,ESPN and I think ABC again?

NHL just being on NBC/SN isn't as good. If they could get a deal with select primetime games also being on FOX and ESPN, that would be big for them.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:33 AM   #27
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
How much does the NFL really hurt the NHL, anyway? Would hockey really get better ratings and more media oxygen if they played Jan thru July?

I know you're not necessarily making this point, but the "overall health of the league" always makes think about the CFL, not the 5th biggest pro league in the world in total revenue. The NHL makes a ton of money, but it's never going to get much more traction in the US than it has now (with the possible exception of a US-born Gretzky/Lemieux level player on the Rangers), and it's never going to break into the top 3 in North America, but that's okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 01-11-2021, 02:39 PM   #28
All Star

I think both of the above posts are probably correct. I certainly don't have any evidence that hockey would do better in non-football months, just a generalization that there is sort of sports desert period in the spring/summer. That having been said, would there suddenly be a raft of new hockey fans if the NHL were playing during that time? I would have to agree that there is scant evidence for that.

I guess in general, I do feel like there are more US-based fans that aren't being served right now, and they could/would be interested in hockey but it just seems buried in the sports landscape now more than ever. I think that probably has more to do with its broadcast arrangement than anything (to Majingir's points), but I also don't recall a time that football was this dominant in the American sports landscape. But that may be an impression more than a reality.

Hockey needs to be on network TV more in my opinion. I think the 'special' games like the outdoor series definitely help, and the league has the right idea with those kinds of events IMO. It definitely gets the games on the radar of people with otherwise no rooting interest in the matchups.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:53 PM   #29
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23

ESPN doesn’t give a **** about hockey. Doubt they have any interest in getting the rights back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2021, 02:59 PM   #30
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12780
ESPN doesn’t give a **** about hockey. Doubt they have any interest in getting the rights back.

ESPN is financially wedded to the NBA, which forces them to cover that league out of proportion to its relevance to the American sports landscape. I don't think they want to make the same mistake twice.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:34 PM   #31

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12780

From what I heard, ESPN is in the running.

Friedman mentioned NBC likely retains the main rights, with either FOX or ESPN getting secondary rights. I'd rather ESPN over FOX for the sake of league growth.

Too bad they cant get all 3 on board. 1 game on ESPN and 1 game on FOX every week would've been nice. Not sure what either networks schedule is like, but if theres a specific day in the week for multiple months at a time where they could turn into NHL night, that would be ideal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2021, 04:16 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 0

I root for ESPN just because of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PRe...zznRT2&index=3

Download the NHL2K20 roster at:
http://PlayNHL.TK

Discussion: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...s-nhl2k11.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »