Home

NHL Considering Going to a Jan-July Format Permanently

This is a discussion on NHL Considering Going to a Jan-July Format Permanently within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-06-2020, 01:06 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: NHL Considering Going to a Jan-July Format Permanently

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhurst99
That idea doesn't make any sense to me if the plan is to do it every year.

The NHL season in 2018-19 started on Oct. 3, 2018 and ended June 12, 2019.

If the season starts in January; it wouldn't end in July. The playoffs would end in September.

That just seems like a really bad idea to run the playoffs during the summer every year. If the choice is between sitting outside watching a baseball game or sitting inside an arena, I know which one I'm going to pick.

I know the US teams hate going against college football and the NFL in October, November and December, but Canadian television networks would hate that open hole in their schedules during the fall and having less eyes inside watching TV during the summer. Summer is prime vacation time.
I agree. But we're talking about the NHL. There is no integrity or common sense. A winter sport played in the spring and summer?
It's about money. Nothing else. And for that reason I can see this becoming reality.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-14-2020, 05:11 PM   #10
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

I understand wanting to avoid the NFL. But with the new plan, they would also bump against the Olympics or World Cup every couple years.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:10 PM   #11

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I understand wanting to avoid the NFL. But with the new plan, they would also bump against the Olympics or World Cup every couple years.
I'm sure they'd take every few years of competition vs every year of it. Not to mention many Olympics aren't in this time zone so most of these primetime viewings aren't live.

I really don't know what the Olympics will be like going forward. Same with World Cups. It was hard enough at times to get hosts, and from a financial standpoint I don't know why anyone would want it (how many countries have been better off financially after hosting an Olympics and didnt end up with debt and abandoned venues?). Now with the pandemic always in the back of people's minds, they might be much more cautious about these types of things.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2020, 11:46 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 0

They will either be smaller or only hosted by propaganda hungry states that see it as a way to clean their image.

Download the NHL2K20 roster at:
http://PlayNHL.TK

Discussion: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...s-nhl2k11.html
Old 06-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #13

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikethebike
They will either be smaller or only hosted by propaganda hungry states that see it as a way to clean their image.
I like the other idea suggested I believe by NA media.

Take the global event to a whole new level and have countries bid on EVENTS. Instead of making China or Italy or whoever hosts events have to build arenas for hockey or getting enough venues for snowboarding, speed skating and all that, let diff countries and cities bid.

Canada or USA bidding for hockey, other countries bidding for other events too.

So instead of 1 country taking on every sport, the load gets divided up. And even better, each country who hosts events can actually pack the venues and not need to build new ones because clearly you're bidding on events you're good at, you have a venue for already, and/or is popular with your crowd.

Makes too much sense to me. Less money on a global scale needing to be spent to get new venues, and more money made as a whole by being more able to sell tickets.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:51 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
I like the other idea suggested I believe by NA media.

Take the global event to a whole new level and have countries bid on EVENTS. Instead of making China or Italy or whoever hosts events have to build arenas for hockey or getting enough venues for snowboarding, speed skating and all that, let diff countries and cities bid.

Canada or USA bidding for hockey, other countries bidding for other events too.

So instead of 1 country taking on every sport, the load gets divided up. And even better, each country who hosts events can actually pack the venues and not need to build new ones because clearly you're bidding on events you're good at, you have a venue for already, and/or is popular with your crowd.

Makes too much sense to me. Less money on a global scale needing to be spent to get new venues, and more money made as a whole by being more able to sell tickets.
Would "work" but I think one of the things that make the olympics unique is the fact that you collect everything under one roof. The performers from different sports get to meet eachother, spectators can watch things they would never otherwise watch etc. It would kind of kill off some of the uniqueness of it all. But ofcourse in a pandemic world it is a good option to keep events separated. But it won't be the same...

Download the NHL2K20 roster at:
http://PlayNHL.TK

Discussion: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...s-nhl2k11.html
Old 06-16-2020, 11:28 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Another point I agree with.
But again, this is the NHL we're talking about.
The NHL said no to the Olympics only 2 years ago. And they could run the World Cup in November when it's actually the proper time to play hockey.
There really is no predicting what the NHL thinks or does.
You'd have to throw all common sense out the window to get to the root of their logic.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2020, 08:46 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Another point I agree with.
But again, this is the NHL we're talking about.
The NHL said no to the Olympics only 2 years ago. And they could run the World Cup in November when it's actually the proper time to play hockey.
There really is no predicting what the NHL thinks or does.
You'd have to throw all common sense out the window to get to the root of their logic.

I'm pretty sure Cardot was referring to the Summer Olympics and the World Cup of soccer which are massive TV draws and which the NHL would be up against every other year if they moved to this particular schedule.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »