Home

2015-2016 World Juniors

This is a discussion on 2015-2016 World Juniors within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #9

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: 2015-2016 World Juniors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
I don't care about compete level. The games are entertaining. They just don't really mean anything like the Olympics or the Stanley Cup Finals do.
Its not as meaningful, but its the next most meaningful thing to that. Its the most meaningful international hockey event outside of the olympics. And even then,olympics are only once every 4 years,many times in timezones horrible to watch games live on tv over here. And now theres no guarantee olympics will even be meaningful anymore. Might not have nhl players in it(so russia will be at big advantage every year cause khl guys still in olympics). Wont exactly be something to look forward to.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

I would garner to say that the World Junior tournament is like all the major College Bowl games rolled into one setting.
Or similar to March Madness.

While it may never be as big as the Stanley Cup/Super Bowl, it's probably the next best thing.

And at the risk of sounding like a repeating-parrot, the games are generally way more entertaining than any NHL game you'll see in a season - including the playoffs.
Playoff hockey is exciting because what's at stake.
But if you take their entertainment level at face-value, the games are terrible. Especially by the SC finals.
What should have been a tremendous finish last Spring ended up being a complete snooze fest between two teams that were capable of blowing the roof off.

That's why I'll take a World Jr's final anyday over a SC final. Especially if it's between the bigger powers such as Canada, US or Russia.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:23 PM   #11

Majingir's Arena

Not to mention, the players do play more of a team game. Its not about stats, all they want is their country winning. Which is a similar mindset in the playoffs,except players arent tired from playing around 100 or so games in an 8-9 month period by time cup finals come.

I guess like you said, it'd be like the college bowl games or march madness version of hockey,with national squads replacing schools.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #12
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

It's just fun. The kids at that age are so pumped about it, and it's good hockey.

Obviously as a college hockey fan I've always had a natural draw to the tournament, too see how the Gopher players would do there. That's the reason I started watching, but it only took a year or two of watching the tournament to really, really enjoy it.

A lot of fun matchups (Canada/USA, USA/Russia, Canada/Russia, Finland/Sweden, Czech Republic/Slovakia), and I enjoy seeing the stars of tomorrow playing, before they make it to the NHL.

Then it seems like there's always a kid on one of the unheralded countries that shines. Like Ehlers last year with Denmark.

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 12-07-2015, 04:46 PM   #13
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

I am so tempted to go to a game. I am traveling in Europe from Dec 18th to Jan 2nd. Finland wasn't on the itinerary but I may have to take a detour.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:45 PM   #14

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
Then it seems like there's always a kid on one of the unheralded countries that shines. Like Ehlers last year with Denmark.
And Denis Godla for Slovakia last year too. Surprised no NHL team signed him to a deal and has him in the AHL right now. Going up against Canada twice, USA,Sweden,Czech as welll, and saving as many shots as he did against the quality players on those teams. Won the MVP for the tourney too.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:50 AM   #15
Rookie

carko32's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
And Denis Godla for Slovakia last year too. Surprised no NHL team signed him to a deal and has him in the AHL right now. Going up against Canada twice, USA,Sweden,Czech as welll, and saving as many shots as he did against the quality players on those teams. Won the MVP for the tourney too.
Well I think you as Leafs fan should remember what happens when you put too much into performance at WCJ

And there were quite few snubs by US hockey, especially Tuch and Connor are suprising to me. Matthews is going to have a tough job.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2015, 12:03 PM   #16

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by carko32
Well I think you as Leafs fan should remember what happens when you put too much into performance at WCJ

And there were quite few snubs by US hockey, especially Tuch and Connor are suprising to me. Matthews is going to have a tough job.
A snub by USA this year is Jeremy Bracco(late 2nd round pick this past draft). Last year on USA U18 team,he was 4th in points. Right up there with the big names like Tkachuk and Matthews, along with Roslovic(taken in 1st round this past year).

Main reason seems to be cause they didn't like how he left Boston College after a few games and went to the OHL,which seems like a stupid reason. That's more of a Russia team thinking,where they'd put priority on guys who play for their country in the KHL. For USA to do that seems kind of stupid. Bracco just this past April was on the U18 team and helped them win the gold,and was on the summer roster too(which at the time,he was still committed to Boston College)

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »