Home

Fate of Coyotes decided in 2 decades(?)

This is a discussion on Fate of Coyotes decided in 2 decades(?) within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #25
All Star

OVR: 13
re: Fate of Coyotes decided in 2 decades(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
You and I probably have a much different picture of the word "viable". When I see that word I think "successful". Portland seems like a good thing because they have the NBA team plus The Timbers who the locals have embraced. There's a reason for that. It's because both teams have been there for a very long time. Just planting a NHL team there now wouldn't do great just because IMO.

As for your assertion that the market isn't the problem with Phoenix, yes it absolutely is the problem! FFS, I feel like I'm in bizzaro world sometimes when it comes to discussing this sport. Hockey isn't that popular, OK?! Quit trying to force it where it doesn't work. It's OK to acknowledge where you are as a sport and maximize what you can out of that.

Sorry for the rant at the end there, that wasn't meant directly for you, pietasterp.
Ha! No problem, man - we're all "friends" here (insomuch as you can be friends w/ people who you have no idea who they are and have never met...). Always room for vigorous disagreement.

When I say Portland is viable, I also mean successful. Maybe not on a Toronto or Quebec level, but given the population, it's a really sports-friendly area that embraces their teams with nary a big pro team other than the Blazers. I think there's a WHL team there that is one of the more fervently supported teams in the league. But in the end, I really can't "prove" that the NHL would do well there, it's just a feeling I get based on the demographics, the overall vibe of the area and people I know that live there. And as a side note, haven't the Portland Timbers only been there for like a year or two? I thought they were a brand-new team in the MLS.

As for your second point, I fully acknowledge that may be totally right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #26
Banned

BunnyHardaway's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Ha! No problem, man - we're all "friends" here (insomuch as you can be friends w/ people who you have no idea who they are and have never met...). Always room for vigorous disagreement.

When I say Portland is viable, I also mean successful. Maybe not on a Toronto or Quebec level, but given the population, it's a really sports-friendly area that embraces their teams with nary a big pro team other than the Blazers. I think there's a WHL team there that is one of the more fervently supported teams in the league. But in the end, I really can't "prove" that the NHL would do well there, it's just a feeling I get based on the demographics, the overall vibe of the area and people I know that live there. And as a side note, haven't the Portland Timbers only been there for like a year or two? I thought they were a brand-new team in the MLS.

As for your second point, I fully acknowledge that may be totally right.
The MLS team has only been playing since 2011 but the original Timbers started playing in the NASL in 1975.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #27
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLinn
The MLS team has only been playing since 2011 but the original Timbers started playing in the NASL in 1975.
Huh...Learn something new every day!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #28
LOB

Coug00's Arena

OVR: 18
Paul Allen hasn't been shy about refusing to share the Rose Garden with an NHL team. I don't see Portland with a team anytime soon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #29
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23
Seattle Sounders. They top the charts in MLS attendance and have a great fanbase. It's a no brainer.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #30
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug00
Paul Allen hasn't been shy about refusing to share the Rose Garden with an NHL team. I don't see Portland with a team anytime soon.
No, I don't either. I just threw that out there as the name of a market where I think the NHL could do well.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #31
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

I know they're probably just using us (just like another league), but I'd be there game one (barring anything big blocking me from that night).

The second biggest reason I wanted the Sonics back was because I wanted a hockey team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #32
LOB

Coug00's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Paul Giblin ‏@PaulGiblinAriz 41s
#Glendale Councilwoman Norma Alvarez just walked out from the executive session. “I couldn’t stand it any more.” #Coyotes.

Paul Giblin ‏@PaulGiblinAriz 6m
#Glendale Councilman Manny Martinez said a vote concerning #Coyotes by June 25 is unlikely. How’s that sit with #Renaissance and the #NHL?

Paul Giblin ‏@PaulGiblinAriz 4m
#Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers had no comment. I asked if there was enough there to keep talking. No comment.

MT @paulgiblinariz: Glendale’s atty says city staff will cont talks w/#Renaissance. This is certain: There wasn’t instant love for proposal.
I'm trying keep expectations down, but the willingness of the city of Seattle, as well as the potential new owners offering $50M more for the Yotes (with $0 being borrowed from the NHL), has me letting optimism creep in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »