Home

NBA Off Topic Thread

This is a discussion on NBA Off Topic Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-17-2024, 12:47 PM   #3521
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: NBA Off Topic Thread

Jontay Porter receives lifetime ban from the NBA for violating the league’s gambling/gaming policy per Shams.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2024, 02:02 PM   #3522

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Jontay Porter receives lifetime ban from the NBA for violating the league’s gambling/gaming policy per Shams.
As he should.

Sad part, after all that, he only gained 22k in winnings. And he even bet on Raptors to lose. Original reports just said he took the under on himself in some stat categories, but also betting on your team to lose...

Threw away multi million dollar NBA career for what's basically pocket change for someone making that much money. Even G League salary would've been better than that.

Last edited by Majingir; 04-17-2024 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:11 PM   #3523
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
As he should.

Sad part, after all that, he only gained 22k in winnings. And he even bet on Raptors to lose. Original reports just said he took the under on himself in some stat categories, but also betting on your team to lose...

Threw away multi million dollar NBA career for what's basically pocket change for someone making that much money. Even G League salary would've been better than that.
Thinking of short-term gains and not the possible repercussions, plus who knows who was in his ear saying this was a 'good idea.'

Hopefully he can still go to Europe or Asia and carve out a career.

He is a good cautionary tale, but I think this is only the beginning of this type of incidents.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member
Old 04-17-2024, 02:21 PM   #3524

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
Thinking of short-term gains and not the possible repercussions, plus who knows who was in his ear saying this was a 'good idea.'

Hopefully he can still go to Europe or Asia and carve out a career.

He is a good cautionary tale, but I think this is only the beginning of this type of incidents.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
And also, he's a nobody. What if this was Tatum, Giannis, LeBron, Zion?

Easy to investigate (and initially raise red flags) on a guy nobody knows or cares about.

Nobody's batting an eye at some 10k bet on a notable guy dropping 20 in a game. If anything that's part of what got Porter caught. Who in their right mind is betting money, more specifically 4 or 5 figures on a guy who most betting services probably don't even have as an option (you'd have to request it from the service to add a guy, which Porter might have even done too which would've been even stupider).

And even more flags get raised when you hit crazy bets like that. I know people who bet big on underdog and crazy odd stuff and hit on those multiple times and have gotten banned. They're just regular people and even that raised flags to these services.

I definitely believe players do bet. Once it's not under their name, how can they get caught? If John Smith is the player and his friend Jack Johnson is the one betting (on John's behalf, or John just uses his account), you can't stop or be able to notice that can you?
Old 04-17-2024, 02:39 PM   #3525

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
And also, he's a nobody. What if this was Tatum, Giannis, LeBron, Zion?
We would never hear about it. It would be handled discreetly in-house. It's for sure happening. The media and these leagues don't want to rock the boat when they're getting paid so much in sponsorship deals, and often times their actual content is driven by sports betting. We already hear these conversations on TV about "well, it only matters if they bet against their own team. Otherwise this is a non story." That's where the goalposts have moved to lol.

One of the things I hear is that guys are less likely to gamble in the modern era because they make so much more money compared to the 1980s-1990s and earlier, so therefore the reward isn't as great for them. Which is a total joke, and shows some serious (and often times willful) ignorance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2024, 02:44 PM   #3526
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

“He is a good cautionary tale”

I meannnnn…I figured Pete Rose would’ve been that one but didn’t think we’d get another one lol. Only difference is this guy was an absolute idiot.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:54 PM   #3527
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
We would never hear about it. It would be handled discreetly in-house. It's for sure happening. The media and these leagues don't want to rock the boat when they're getting paid so much in sponsorship deals, and often times their actual content is driven by sports betting. We already hear these conversations on TV about "well, it only matters if they bet against their own team. Otherwise this is a non story." That's where the goalposts have moved to lol.

One of the things I hear is that guys are less likely to gamble in the modern era because they make so much more money compared to the 1980s-1990s and earlier, so therefore the reward isn't as great for them. Which is a total joke, and shows some serious (and often times willful) ignorance.
Lol you honestly believe we wouldn’t hear about it or are you BSing?

Those guys would get a 1-2 year suspension at most .
Old 04-17-2024, 05:47 PM   #3528
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

Just enough time for a minor league baseball run.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »