Home

1/30 - 2/15 Games Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on 1/30 - 2/15 Games Discussion Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-31-2024, 03:32 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: 1/30 - 2/15 Games Discussion Thread

Paul Pierce played all 82 games after getting stabbed 11 times and guys are complaining they can’t miss 20% of the season?
Old 01-31-2024, 03:32 PM   #10
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

65 games is fine.

The bigger issue to me is that bonuses in contracts get tied to it IE All NBA Teams. Because if you’re going to do that, then there also should be a set # of games you have to play in order to qualify for each All NBA Team.
Old 01-31-2024, 03:36 PM   #11

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
The fact that we've turned 65 games into some unreasonable high standard for games played in a season is dumb af. If you were injured and/or missed games because you felt like it, that's how your season went. You were inherently less valuable and impactful as a result. Can't have it both ways. Can't miss games to protect your body from future injuries (and potential money lost later in your career), but then be mad because u lost out on these short-term bonuses that are all about current season performance.
I posted that stat a week or so ago where the number of games that all star/all nba team caliber players played is much different now vs 5,10,20,30 years ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2024, 04:05 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
The fact that we've turned 65 games into some unreasonable high standard for games played in a season is dumb af. If you were injured and/or missed games because you felt like it, that's how your season went. You were inherently less valuable and impactful as a result. Can't have it both ways. Can't miss games to protect your body from future injuries (and potential money lost later in your career), but then be mad because u lost out on these short-term bonuses that are all about current season performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL1287
Paul Pierce played all 82 games after getting stabbed 11 times and guys are complaining they can’t miss 20% of the season?
I think it's more about the money. A legit injury could cost you millions because contracts are tied to All-NBA teams which are now determined by a games played threshold. We can hate on dudes missing games all we want but at the end of the day situations like Shaq missing 20-30 games wasn't costing him $40million off his next contract.

I get you're more valuable if you're on the floor, but at no other point have minor injuries that lead to you still being a healthy all-star caliber player by the time your next deal kicks in knocked 20% off that future money regardless of if you're healthy and ballin' your *** off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
65 games is fine.

The bigger issue to me is that bonuses in contracts get tied to it IE All NBA Teams. Because if you’re going to do that, then there also should be a set # of games you have to play in order to qualify for each All NBA Team.
Those teams require 65 games now.

Last edited by ojandpizza; 02-01-2024 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:52 PM   #13

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
I think it's more about the money. A legit injury could cost you millions because contracts are tied to All-NBA teams which are now determined by a games played threshold. We can hate on dudes missing games all we want but at the end of the situations like Shaq missing 20-30 games wasn't costing him $40million off his next contract.

I get you're more valuable if you're on the floor, but at no other point have minor injuries that lead to you still being a healthy all-star caliber player by the time your next deal kicks in knocked 20% off that future money regardless of if you're healthy and ballin' your *** off.
To me it's a performance based pay raise. You meet the requirements, you get the raise. Thinking of it as "that's money they are owed, and you are taking it away by requiring X," seems to miss the definition of what it actually is. I would love to get that raise that I missed out on because of some specific performance requirement, but to describe that as an unfair paycut would be next level delusion.
Old 01-31-2024, 05:05 PM   #14
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
I think it's more about the money. A legit injury could cost you millions because contracts are tied to All-NBA teams which are now determined by a games played threshold. We can hate on dudes missing games all we want but at the end of the situations like Shaq missing 20-30 games wasn't costing him $40million off his next contract.

Those teams require 65 games now.
Should’ve added each number should be different.

1st Team - 65 Games
2nd Team - 60 Games
3rd Team - 55 Games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2024, 05:28 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Should’ve added each number should be different.

1st Team - 65 Games
2nd Team - 60 Games
3rd Team - 55 Games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhhh I’m following now. My bad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2024, 05:34 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
To me it's a performance based pay raise. You meet the requirements, you get the raise. Thinking of it as "that's money they are owed, and you are taking it away by requiring X," seems to miss the definition of what it actually is. I would love to get that raise that I missed out on because of some specific performance requirement, but to describe that as an unfair paycut would be next level delusion.

I get that but some instances it isn’t in their control and in years past players under the same circumstance weren’t getting their money taken away. So I definitely get players having the “this hurts me but it didn’t effect this guy or this guy” mindset.

Not saying what you’re describing isn’t fair but I do feel like if players are missing games for reasons out of their control it does become a bit unfair. And I do think someone getting hurt and missing like 60 games is different than someone actually getting hurt but making a comeback and missing that 65 game mark by like 2-3 games because of that.. especially if that player felt “good to go” but was held out and extra few days from the medical team. And we’ve been told that happens all the time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »