Home

Old 05-13-2024, 04:10 PM   #65
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: 2024 NBA Draft

Apparently Edey is also top 5 in 3's at the combine also. All I've heard was Edey wouldn't work in the NBA because he isn't athletic enough and yet does better then Clingan. A 31 inch vert for a 7'4 guy is pretty good for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
So odd to me that Clingan has climbed so high in mocks..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2024, 05:18 PM   #66

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzMan
Lucky! I wish the Jazz dropped to 11 or 12 so our pick would go to OKC this year instead of next year. Not a huge fan of this class aside from Stephon Castle
Will be one of those moves critiqued now, and people in 5 years will be like "if we kept that pick we could've gotten(insert best player in the draft who got taken outside the top 10)", as if that's how it works.

The thing about the Raptors that's tricky, they could easily be a lottery team or a playoff team next year, so could a late lottery pick next year be better than an early one this year?

This team played a total of 14 games with Barnes, Quickley, RJ together and went 7-7. Small sample size, but their current roster is much better than a 25 win team. Not that they'll sign some huge FA, but they spend 160m on salaries this year and have 105m committed so far with only Quickley and maybe Trent to re-sign, so they could go out and add a depth piece to push them into a .500+ team, which would be nearly a 20 game turnaround from the prior year.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:19 PM   #67
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
Is it the worst draft or is there just not a hyped up #1 overall? Impossible to know how it will turn out.
It’s definitely the latter, lol.

If there’s no “name” then folks will automatically think it’s the worst draft ever. And we know group think is a powerful drug so it doesn’t take much for it to spread to the people who don’t pay much attention to College Hoops.

Kinda funny how the Nets are now gifting another franchise a top 4 pick after a big name trade failed on them again. You’d think they would learn their lesson but apparently not

As for Atlanta, they’re not really in a position to blow it up and wait for next year especially when the chance of them getting another top 5 pick aren’t going to be that high to begin with. Hell, look at what happened with the Pistons lol. Best bet is to use the pick, take who they think is the best player on the board, figure out a decision with Dejounte and Trae. They’ve got some good pieces on the roster so they don’t really need a full rebuild to get back into the middle of the pack in the East.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:47 PM   #68

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
It’s definitely the latter, lol.

If there’s no “name” then folks will automatically think it’s the worst draft ever. And we know group think is a powerful drug so it doesn’t take much for it to spread to the people who don’t pay much attention to College Hoops.

Kinda funny how the Nets are now gifting another franchise a top 4 pick after a big name trade failed on them again. You’d think they would learn their lesson but apparently not

As for Atlanta, they’re not really in a position to blow it up and wait for next year especially when the chance of them getting another top 5 pick aren’t going to be that high to begin with. Hell, look at what happened with the Pistons lol. Best bet is to use the pick, take who they think is the best player on the board, figure out a decision with Dejounte and Trae. They’ve got some good pieces on the roster so they don’t really need a full rebuild to get back into the middle of the pack in the East.
At the same time, when was the last time the #1 pick wasn't fairly known as the #1 pick going in?

2017? 2013? Or am I misremembering drafts?

It'll take a lot to top 2000 though.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:57 AM   #69
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

yeah pistons can't win for tanking or trying

tank for Wemby, finish with worst record, get 5th pick

ok this time we'll try, lets hire the most expensive coach ever and try to make a run...

worst record again

5th pick again

oof
Old 05-14-2024, 09:41 AM   #70
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
Is it the worst draft or is there just not a hyped up #1 overall? Impossible to know how it will turn out.
Could be both? The latter is definitely true, but when you have projected top 5 picks being compared to guys like Bones Hyland, Roy Hibbert, Michael Porter, etc., it's not great.

I'm sure as always there will be some guys that end up being better than expected (probably not a Giannis level guy, but the 2013 draft was much maligned), 1998 draft gave us Vince Carter, Paul Pierce, Dirk, etc. You get the idea.

Having said that, it feels like the guys vying for the #1 pick in this year's draft could turn out to be solid bench pieces and nobody would be too shocked. Like Sarr is the presumed #1 pick at the moment and people aren't sure if he's strong enough to play C or skilled enough to play PF.

Holland is probably the guy that I would have at the top of my draft board right now and I'm not really sure how he should even be used on the offensive end right now. Risacher might be #2 in my eyes and his numbers around the rim are some of the worst you'll ever see for a 6'10"+ guy and he has pretty much zero creation abilities right now.

I heard Russillo talking about the draft and he was saying the teams he's talked to said that in terms of value, the #1 overall pick this year is probably worth like the #4 or #5 starter on a good team; like a Terrance Mann or Cam Johnson caliber player. I can't imagine Atlanta would actually make a trade like that because the optics of trading the #1 overall pick for a decent role player would just be so atrocious, but yeah, this draft is considered to be incredibly weak.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont

Last edited by Yeah...THAT Guy; 05-14-2024 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:35 AM   #71
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

Do you think this means they make win now moves or try it one more time with Flag coming next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
yeah pistons can't win for tanking or trying

tank for Wemby, finish with worst record, get 5th pick

ok this time we'll try, lets hire the most expensive coach ever and try to make a run...

worst record again

5th pick again

oof
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2024, 01:50 AM   #72
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan
Do you think this means they make win now moves or try it one more time with Flag coming next year?

My guess is Detroit probly just goes after Sheppard from Kentucky, but considering how poorly Ivey and Cade work together, wouldn't shock me if they were the team to make the Trae trade. If they can keep Cade somehow, that's a pretty decent backcourt, but I doubt ATL would be cool with just Ivey, the 5th, and who knows how many other picks/pieces

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »