Home

MLB Off-Topic

This is a discussion on MLB Off-Topic within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-17-2024, 12:56 PM   #19169
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
It’s a shame what injuries have done to Mike Trout; it’s so easy to forget his greatness already.

I was reading a CBS baseball article about Acuna’s contract talk yesterday and the author stated “Acuna is not quite as good as young Trout.” I thought…ya, but they have to be pretty close. Then he showed a chart comparing the two players through their age 25 seasons…wow, not even close.

Trout had a 172 OPS+ and 55 WAR…Acuna is a 141 OPS+ and 25 WAR. Granted, because of injuries and COVID Acuna has over 1,000 fewer plate appearances than Trout did, so the WAR would be/should be higher…but the level young Trout played at was something to behold.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
And what's also something to ponder, as great as Trout and Acuna are, the Angels can't even get a sniff of the World Series, and the World Champion Atlanta didn't even have a winning record in 21 when Acuna went down for the season. Great numbers are great and all, but they aren't the thing that makes baseball great.
#44Syracuse
One's convicted, the other's a born liar. Billy Martin could have been talking about Donald and Joe.
Vote: None of the Above
Old 02-19-2024, 06:58 PM   #19170

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Random rabbit hole I went down.

Selig was gonna contract the Twins AND Expos in 2002?!

What would baseball have looked like with 28 teams after just expanding 4 years prior?

A dispersal draft would've been insane too.

Ortiz, Hunter, Pierzynski, Santana, Guardado, Guerrero, Vidro being part of that?
Old 02-19-2024, 07:07 PM   #19171
Horror Movie Guru

Dead2009's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir

What would baseball have looked like with 28 teams after just expanding 4 years prior?

A dispersal draft would've been insane too.

Ortiz, Hunter, Pierzynski, Santana, Guardado, Guerrero, Vidro being part of that?
I remember that. They werent in a hurry to get new stadiums so MLB was like **** it you're done.

Speaking of the Expos....

Nationals no longer for sale, principal owner Mark Lerner says
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...rk-lerner-says

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2024, 07:32 PM   #19172
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

That was when the Twins had their magical season, went to the playoffs.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:35 PM   #19173
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Twins had thoughts of moving to NC too.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:46 PM   #19174
Expletive Deleted

Quote:

I feel like MLB may be headed for a repeat performance if Manfred does indeed push for expansion before he retires. But my gut tells me contraction will go all the way through this time. I hate knocking on Tampa Bay but it would have made more sense to go with Bakersfield California, Long Beach, Virginia Beach, Tulsa, Omaha, El Paso, Mesa Arizona, or Fresno way before TB. Instead of expanding wisely MLB will wind up going for a sexy pick. What's really crazy is they ever considered Tampa sexy. They might be rated an office hot 8 but it's a real world 5. I know New York City and San Antonio aren't even in the running for an expansion team but it really would be the two healthiest choices they could possibly make. But MLB will probably do something silly and expand in Montreal and Salt Lake City in 2028 and 4 years later Cincinnati and Kansas City will have to pay for the mistake by killing themselves by retracting.
#44Syracuse
One's convicted, the other's a born liar. Billy Martin could have been talking about Donald and Joe.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:58 PM   #19175

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
I feel like MLB may be headed for a repeat performance if Manfred does indeed push for expansion before he retires. But my gut tells me contraction will go all the way through this time. I hate knocking on Tampa Bay but it would have made more sense to go with Bakersfield California, Long Beach, Virginia Beach, Tulsa, Omaha, El Paso, Mesa Arizona, or Fresno way before TB. Instead of expanding wisely MLB will wind up going for a sexy pick. What's really crazy is they ever considered Tampa sexy. They might be rated an office hot 8 but it's a real world 5. I know New York City and San Antonio aren't even in the running for an expansion team but it really would be the two healthiest choices they could possibly make. But MLB will probably do something silly and expand in Montreal and Salt Lake City in 2028 and 4 years later Cincinnati and Kansas City will have to pay for the mistake by killing themselves by retracting.
I don't see the league retracting at all.

Once the As and Rays situation is figured out they'll expand for sure. Too many markets and owners wanting teams for them to pass up on that opportunity.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2024, 08:34 PM   #19176
Expletive Deleted

Quote:
I don't see the league retracting at all.

Once the As and Rays situation is figured out they'll expand for sure. Too many markets and owners wanting teams for them to pass up on that opportunity.
I hope so. They just need to do it smart and not award franchises to the flavor-of-the-month cities.
#44Syracuse

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »