Home

MLB Off-Topic

This is a discussion on MLB Off-Topic within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-16-2017, 11:33 PM   #8081

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: MLB Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Watching the Giants recording, Dave Flemming and Mike Krukow both agreed that Bill Mueller should unquestionably be a Hall of Famer.

I respect the hell out of these guys, but there is a line to which I can agree to things, and they crossed it... and I love Bill Mueller (what Giants or Red Sox fan doesn't?).
Giants have the best broadcast crew by miles and miles, but they can be so biased like that. Flemming and Miller usually not as much. A certain amount of bias is expected, (and fun) given how they travel with the team all year, but they inevitably cross the line.

I remember they kept talking up Aaron Rowand and Lincecum near the end of their runs, when it was obvious they were both brutal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2017, 12:00 AM   #8082
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Watching the Giants recording, Dave Flemming and Mike Krukow both agreed that Bill Mueller should unquestionably be a Hall of Famer.

I respect the hell out of these guys, but there is a line to which I can agree to things, and they crossed it... and I love Bill Mueller (what Giants or Red Sox fan doesn't?).
There is literally (and I mean literally) not a single metric that one can use to argue Bill Mueller for the HOF. 1200 hits over an 11 year career...23 WAR...a .291 average, 85 HR, a 797 OPS, led the league in ONE category (hitting in 2003). The very fact that these men would say "unquestionably a HOF" is a real extreme case of homerism...
Old 07-17-2017, 12:17 AM   #8083
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I don't know if they used the word unquestionably, but I think Krukow said: "He's a Hall of Famer in my book," and Flemming said: "Oh, no question." Something to that effect. Then they started to say when you're the best at your position for that long, blah blah blah.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I think they mentioned second base. Mueller was a third basemen. They were running off a lot of Giants names. Maybe they were talking about Jeff Kent. Gee, that would actually make a lot more sense.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 07-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #8084
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
I don't know if they used the word unquestionably, but I think Krukow said: "He's a Hall of Famer in my book," and Flemming said: "Oh, no question." Something to that effect. Then they started to say when you're the best at your position for that long, blah blah blah.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I think they mentioned second base. Mueller was a third basemen. They were running off a lot of Giants names. Maybe they were talking about Jeff Kent. Gee, that would actually make a lot more sense.
Ah...now that makes sense. I think Jeff Kent is a borderline guy, but he wouldn't be a bad HOF'r. I could see those guys making that statement about him.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #8085
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Stupid that I'm doing this, but here's a transcript of the conversation. You can see when they start embellishing Bill Mueller why I possibly thought at the time that they were still talking about him, even though Kent's name gets brought up. They were talking about a program after the game celebrating the 20th anniversary of the 1997 Giants:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flemming: A great team in Giants history, the '97 Giants...

Krukow: They were a fun bunch... Jeff Kent, J.T. Snow, Stan Javier, Mark Lewis... those were all the new guys.

Flemming: Yeah. That was the year of so much transition, roster turnover, and big bold moves that Brian Sabean made to make that team. You think back in modern Giants history, the team that [Krukow] all had in 1986 had sort of set the stage for '87, '89, '92, '93... that was a long success of a Giants with a lot of great players, but '97 was kind of the reset year to transition into the next era of Giants baseball.

Krukow: In '96, I think they lost 94 games, because it was the year where Matt Williams and Robby Thompson had big injuries. Whatever could go wrong, did go wrong. The only real highlight of that season was Bonds' 40/40 year. But you also got an overview of what was in the minor leagues. Low and behold, they wind up with Bill Mueller, who turned out to be a great big leaguer. Then they go to the playoffs in '97. There is so much energy when you go from a last-to-first situation as a team. A lot of fun.

Flemming: You aren't going to win at this level every year. But also in a year when you don't quite play the way you thought you would or win as many games as you thought you would, you can find pieces for the future, you can find positive developments... you mentioned Bill Mueller, that was a big one.

Krukow: He was also the sort of guy that wasn't a slam-dunk prospect. When he got to this level, it was almost like his style of play was more appropriate at the big league level than it was at the minor league level. He had more strikes to see up here, as a balanced hitter he used the whole field... he really took advantage of the opportunity.

Flemming: Jeff Kent was a big part of that trade where it wasn't like people around baseball were thinking: "Oh well this guy's going to be the next great player." The Giants let him play each and every day, and he just totally blossomed.

Krukow: Oh, I think he should be a Hall of Famer.

Flemming: I do too.

Krukow: I think that's how good he blossomed.

Flemming: I think when you are even the best or one of the best at your position for such a long period, that is, for me, the number one thresholds for being a Hall of Famer. I mean he was the dominant second baseman of that era.

Krukow: He was the guy. Marvin Benard was on that team...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was just my mistake, even more so when I didn't realize Flem threw out Kent's name.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2017, 04:17 PM   #8086
Banned

OVR: 27

Carlos Correa out 6-8 weeks with a torn thumb ligament! Wow.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2017, 06:38 PM   #8087
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13
Carlos Correa out 6-8 weeks with a torn thumb ligament! Wow.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
They won't miss his bat too much but the defense will be a gaping hole unless they get someone ASAP.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 07-18-2017, 07:10 PM   #8088
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
They won't miss his bat too much but the defense will be a gaping hole unless they get someone ASAP.
Bregman I thought was rated pretty well for his defense at SS coming out of LSU. I know he moved to third, but I think he can push back over and hold his own.

Watch me play video games

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »