Home

Varsity High School Football Video Game in Development - Here's What We Know So Far

This is a discussion on Varsity High School Football Video Game in Development - Here's What We Know So Far within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 11-16-2023, 10:19 AM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Varsity High School Football Video Game in Development - Here's What We Know So F

I hope you guys nail down gameplay to the point you can have an additional expansion to take players to your College game add on (hint hint!). I would love to be able to continue playing further. The majority of us sports gamers just want a good game that can immerse ourselves into. Official teams and players is an antiquated concept to me. I don't feel today's athletes really warrant the attention like players of old. The rules and "branding" of today's sports leagues have all but taken out the spunk that used to exist. There is no more mystique to sports anymore. I remember in old NCAA sports games, your player could get suspended for grades or conduct, or old madden games when you could knock helmets off and such. Now its about being nice and not taunting. Don't hit the defenseless receiver and don't fall on the QB when you tackle him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2023, 10:02 AM   #66
Video Game Dev

Spear's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Varsity High School Football Video Game in Development - Here's What We Know So F

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugsbunny
I hope you guys nail down gameplay to the point you can have an additional expansion to take players to your College game add on (hint hint!). I would love to be able to continue playing further. The majority of us sports gamers just want a good game that can immerse ourselves into. Official teams and players is an antiquated concept to me. I don't feel today's athletes really warrant the attention like players of old. The rules and "branding" of today's sports leagues have all but taken out the spunk that used to exist. There is no more mystique to sports anymore. I remember in old NCAA sports games, your player could get suspended for grades or conduct, or old madden games when you could knock helmets off and such. Now its about being nice and not taunting. Don't hit the defenseless receiver and don't fall on the QB when you tackle him.

Our core focus is nailing down the gameplay but once that’s in place, I think the natural evolution would to look into College or Pro versions of the game.

You can upgrade your uprights in Varsity’s Dynasty mode. We had Pro and College style modeled out as part of that, so definitely it’s in the back of our minds.

And yes, if you can get your boosters support you can insert Pro style uprights at your HS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join our Discord to learn more - https://discord.gg/v8aFWkmYMT!

http://www.varsityvideogame.com
https://www.spearinteractive.com
Old 11-29-2023, 04:36 AM   #67
MVP

OVR: 6

Excited to dive into more updates! Super curious about playbooks, motions, and shifts—something Madden lacks. Also, wondering about CPU vs CPU availability. Loving the idea of watching state championships nationwide. Will it be a nationwide view like NCAA or more localized?

High school ball offers a diverse range of offenses, unlike the repetitive styles in Madden and NCAA. With various school sizes, expect to see spread, I-formation, split-back veer, single-wing, Notre Dame box, wishbone, flexbone, and more.

Stoked to keep an eye on this thread, and I'll be frequenting the website and YouTube channel.

The file is called xboxassantesgreatestever.

Teams finished:
Bears, bills, browns, KC, Dall, Miami, Philly, ATL, SF, NYG, Jags, GB, NE, OAK, Rams, Ravens, WASH, NO, PITT, broncos, Texans, panthers, vikings, colts
Old 12-04-2023, 09:49 PM   #68
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

Here's the November update.

https://www.operationsports.com/vars...-for-november/
Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-05-2023, 11:02 AM   #69
Banned

This is an awesome idea! I'm rooting for this game to do well, and I will definitely buy when it comes out.

I like the idea of injuries occurring in places other than the game. I coached high school football (and some middle school football) for 12 years, and most injuries (and "injuries") occur where you wouldn't expect them.

Some "injuries" that have made me laugh over the years:
-A middle school player who was tapping his helmet between plays to indicate he wanted us to sub him out. He got to the sidelines, and we asked him what was wrong. His response: "My throat is just a little bit dry."
-A couple dozen players who were "injured" every time they made a bad play. Miraculously, their "injuries" were healed when they felt like coming back in to the game.
-A massive kid who had never played but we wanted to try to develop as a freshman in the hopes that he would catch on and contribute in a few years who told us he couldn't practice anymore one day after we ran some sprints after practice. He said his feet hurt. Specifically, his "shoes were boiling." We never saw him again.
-And the all-time greatest "injury." I had another kid who was really fast and big and just an overall natural athlete. He couldn't carry the ball, he couldn't catch the ball, he couldn't throw the ball. So we tried him out at safety. In the middle of a play at practice, a running back broke through the first two levels and was coming straight at the safety. I was hoping to see a great tackle, or at least an attempt at a tackle. Instead, I heard him loudly say "Oh, my stomach." He let the runner go right past him and bent over holding his stomach. When I asked him what was wrong, he replied, "I just realized I don't have any pads on my stomach." Keep in mind this was about two weeks into full pads.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:02 PM   #70
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Scourge

Some of you may already be aware that Spear Interactive and Pyramid Lake Games are in very early development on a high school football game called Varsity High School Football. Way to early for them to share any visuals yet. If you're interested, join the Discord. It's linked in the description of the video. The developers are looking for feedback, what we want as a gaming community. It's also been cool to hear them talk about their time working on Maximum Football. A lot of people weren't into that series, but the guys making it are legit sim football guys wanting to put out a quality game. I personally keep my expectations very low when it comes to indie game development. It's pretty tough to even get an indie game to launch, much less be polished and a good game. That being said, I'm always hopeful. It's clear to most of us that EA Sports abandoned sim football, franchise/dynasty players a very long time ago.

They're planning on having it be fully customizable, but with some manner of easy to use community share feature, not having to mod game files like CFBR.

I've already spoken to Spear on Discord and there's a possibility I'll be able to partner with them to show some exclusive content as the game progresses.

Why do we need at least one-USA Football games for each Fb level & different Fb versions (Arena FB & Canadian FB)? Why not just use FPS: FBP series as a model & develop one-USA FootBall game that can be fully customizable to each the 5-possible (Youth, HS, Higher Educational, Semi-Pro & Pro) USA FB Levels & different Fb versions (Arena FB & Canadian FB)?
I see no reason why this could not be done, even with differences in rule changes & number of teams-franchises (even though I think it should all be the same, Pro ruiles (three-different sets ) should be used from Youth-Semi-Pro (three-different sets ) & the huge amount of teams the youth have, should be the amount franchises the high school-pro have (no different sets, all the same amounts); in the real & computer/Internet FootBall Worlds).
Old 12-06-2023, 11:15 PM   #71
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleOn84
This is an awesome idea! I'm rooting for this game to do well, and I will definitely buy when it comes out.

I like the idea of injuries occurring in places other than the game. most injuries (and "injuries") occur where you wouldn't expect them.

I too have Assistant Coach USA FB & been a fan of Higher Educational-Pro USA FB for 40+-years & watched both levels (& lesser so a lot more levels & different versions) for 36+-years, after '2019 gave up on NCAA-NFL (& lesser so a lot more levels & different versions), but not the sport & sports levels, Played USA FB for 5-years of PWFBL-HS, IntraMural Sports Refereed USA FB for 3-years & hosted Sports Talk Show for 1-year & could not agree more.
That is an awesome feature, that I have never heard about before. Has this ever been a feature in other sports (let alone USA Fb) games?

Last edited by HelpComputerSportsAs; 12-07-2023 at 04:49 AM. Reason: fixed Assistant abbreviant resulting in ***. & add more levels & different versions for more accuracy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2023, 05:36 AM   #72
Banned

Quote:
I hope you guys nail down gameplay to the point you can have an additional expansion to take players to your College game add on (hint hint!). I would love to be able to continue playing further.
I agree; however, I hate additional expansion packets for sell, put everything, in each version. Do not do Capitalist thing of nickle & diming buyers (especially, when most people's incomes are skrinking & have hard enough time affording the versions).

Quote:
The majority of us sports gamers just want a good game that can immerse ourselves into. Official teams and players is an antiquated concept to me.
I agree, but for a different reason I do not care about the "official leagues/associations & their star/official players" any more.
Quote:
I don't feel today's athletes really warrant the attention like players of old.
I could not disagree more; I think it is the Capitalist leagues/associations & The Capitalist System of it all that creates that, the players are undervalued (salary caps, restricting movement & risk of serious & lifelong injuries, at any moment).
Quote:
The rules and "branding" of today's sports leagues have all but taken out the spunk that used to exist.
I could not agree more, The NFL & The NCAA has sold out to Capitalist greed forever more promised profits down the road over doing the same for maintaining competition (changing their scheduling- The NFL used schedule only by previous season's results , now they schedule by matchups & NCAA redicudiously changing their conferences- used to be by geography [SP?] & regional rivaries ).
Quote:
There is no more mystique to sports anymore. I remember in old NCAA sports games, your player could get suspended for grades or conduct,
What you are missing is mystique created from what I posted above, geographical alignment of The NFL/NCAA FB Conferences resulting in regional rivaries & scheduling for only greater competition. I do not think, I know that The 1971-1973 Miami Dolphins & The 1980s-2000s Miami Hurricanes are the best Franchise & Program Ever, & Dan Marino is the best QB to ever touch a FB & Don Shuka is the greatest Coach to ever touch a FB. Did/do I care that The NFL's only scheduling for increasing/maintaining competition I cannot ever remember if they faced Denver Broncos' QB John Elway & HC Mr. Reeves (SP?) in the R-S (always when they changed the scheduling for matchups was the reason & example given), NO WAY! Now, did/do I wanted/want tHe NFL/The NCAA FBS every single franchise/program to play each other in The R-S, heck yes! Did/do I hated/hate that NCAA did/does not have a independent body create all programs schedules for the programs, based solely on previous season's results/competition jumping up; preventing UF Gators, UNorte Dame Fighting Irish & not the only programs cancelling games with UMHs from running from losing to the '80s-'2000s UMiami Hurricanes (just a fact; & many times it has happened before, in history, just a fact), HECK YES!

Quote:
or old madden games when you could knock helmets off and such. Now its about being nice and not taunting. Don't hit the defenseless receiver and don't fall on the QB when you tackle him.
I cannot disagree more with you about rules that protect players from injuries, they participate in volence that you & I (along with the 99% of of us) cannot imagine- & I played, coached & refereed slower & LOWER LEVEL USA FB & sports. But I cannot hate more the capitalism biase for highest rewarded positions (based only for positions that bring more attention/money, not wins) creating greater rules protecting them against injury. I also cannot hate more the stupid taunting rules (treating players like children, who cannot control their emotions for themselves; another Capitalist pleasure).

Last edited by HelpComputerSportsAs; 12-09-2023 at 12:22 AM. Reason: forgot the ""s

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »