Home

Final Fantasy XVI (2023)

This is a discussion on Final Fantasy XVI (2023) within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-10-2022, 05:14 PM   #1
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

OVR: 23
Final Fantasy XVI (2023)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr6P...el=PlayStation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV5r...el=PlayStation

Expected to release Summer of 2023

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dibs: AJ Lee
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2022, 11:22 PM   #2
All Star

OVR: 8
Re: Final Fantasy XVI (2023)

FF15 is the only mainline FF game (from 6 forward) that I don't have an absurd amount of hours. It was such a disappointment for me, and so I'm hoping that FF16 renews that taste of FF excitement that I haven't felt in a decade.

The graphics are stellar in the videos, and the trailers hint at a cool story.

I'm very concerned about the direction the game took only using a single playable character though. Trying to keep an open mind there, but it just is a major departure. Also, I have yet to be sold on the general direction of this franchise's decision to move away from the turn based combat of jRPGs of old.
Old 06-13-2022, 04:12 PM   #3
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
FF15 is the only mainline FF game (from 6 forward) that I don't have an absurd amount of hours. It was such a disappointment for me, and so I'm hoping that FF16 renews that taste of FF excitement that I haven't felt in a decade.

The graphics are stellar in the videos, and the trailers hint at a cool story.

I'm very concerned about the direction the game took only using a single playable character though. Trying to keep an open mind there, but it just is a major departure. Also, I have yet to be sold on the general direction of this franchise's decision to move away from the turn based combat of jRPGs of old.
Square proved that the action JRPG can work in Final Fantasy as they did with the 7 Remake, but being that was a different development team I imagine they've had this single-character style gameplay honed in for awhile now; I'm sure if they could have they would have just straight up adopted the FF7R battle system since IMO that's the perfect blend of action and classic turn-based party gameplay

Interesting to me though that this team didn't seem to learn from FFXV's criticism, where you could only pretty much play just as Noctis for the whole game until the Royal Edition came out, then they added functionality for the rest of the boys

I'm definitely getting DMC vibes from the XVI gameplay shown so far though which is certainly interesting lol. But for me personally as long as the story is fully fleshed out and compelling I'll play through whatever gameplay system Square implements - XV wasn't nearly good enough in that department to ignore the gameplay shortcomings

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Old 06-22-2022, 03:38 PM   #4
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

Some updates dropped this morning:

FF16 will not be open world, will be a linear chapter-based game in the same vein as FF7 Remake

https://www.ign.com/articles/final-f...-16-open-world

Honestly love this, I grew tired of open-world games a long, long time ago. Elden Ring has been the only one to do it "right" for me basically since Red Dead 2 came out; I have no problem with a linear story-driven experience

-----------

FF16 will have you control one character in action while the rest of the party you get along the way will be fully AI-driven

https://www.gamesradar.com/final-fan...ers-in-battle/

Bit of a disappointment here, I loved how FF7R handled the party system with the ease of switching to other characters with the touch of a single button, or you can tell them to do commands on their own. And FF15 was much better when it gave you the reigns to the other party members. But with the Devil May Cry main gameplay director on board, I have no concerns about the quality of gameplay coming

---------------

FF16 will be an "ambitious, more mature entry in the series"

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fi.../1100-6504803/

The writer from Tactics is on the team here, I expect it to be a very political game in the sense that Tactics was, as opposed to a more fantastical, typical FF story. If we get the Shakespearean dialogue from 12 back it could be perfect, still some of my favorite voice acting in any game

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Old 06-23-2022, 09:22 AM   #5
All Star

OVR: 8

I have no problem with linear story games, but I do within the FF franchise. Rpgs in general are just better when there are fewer restrictions, and obviously it's kind of a staple of the franchise going back 30 years.

Similar issue with the solo character control. FF has always been about your party. For the style combat of game that this one appears to have them it does make sense, but I also disagree with the franchise direction in this regard. It's not so much an evolution of gameplay as it is a complete deviation from gameplay on one of the most successful franchises ever.

The mature story is the only positive that I see here, but ultimately it depends on execution. I generally prefer more mature themes in story telling so that's a positive, but it isn't enough to just simply be gritty. I am a bit concerned, given all the other deviations from FF staples, that they will take things too far. Though having the writer from tactics is a good sign.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2022, 08:13 PM   #6
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

https://youtu.be/1skR3Mk1cO8

Newest trailer

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Old 10-28-2022, 08:07 AM   #7
Just started!

OVR: 0

Watching the trailers regularly. Very excited.

Regards,
DA2

Last edited by marshray; 10-28-2022 at 08:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-03-2023, 09:29 AM   #8
Just started!

OVR: 0

I always exciting to watch this tutorial.

Regards.

masks

Last edited by LS282; 01-04-2023 at 10:02 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »