Home

Final Fantasy XVI (2023)

This is a discussion on Final Fantasy XVI (2023) within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2023, 10:53 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Final Fantasy XVI (2023)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
For those who are excited about this (or aren't excited) what is your background with the series? New to FF, played the action-rpg hybrid that was FF7 remake, or you are a Final Fantasy blue blood who dreams in Moogle? Just a purely curious as I've seen a lot of mixed reactions from different segments.

This isn't a knock on anyone who buys it or is excited about it. I've accepted that FF13 was and will the final time that this series feels like a JRPG, and while that sucks for me I know a lot of people will enjoy a DMC like experience. I just wonder is it FF fans who are buying this or people who are new to the genre or franchise (as the game director is on record as tailoring the experience to).

I have the game pre-ordered at GameStop and am looking forward to playing it. With that said, there's no guarantee that I complete the game. Depends on if I like and enjoy the combat system which I should but we'll see.

As for history with the series, it was non-existent until Final Fantasy VII Remake which was the first ever game in the series that I completed and the first ever JRPG that I ever completed. Played a lot back in the SNES/PS era's but never completed any. Before Remake, I only played the original FF VII but after four random battles running up the train stairs, game went right off. And no, im not joking. I have always hated random battles. I prefer enemies on screen and if you make contact with them, you go into battle. It's one of the many reasons why Chrono Trigger is my all time favorite JRPG even though I never completed it.

I'm more hyped for FF VII Rebirth than I am FF XVI but the setting, time period and the combat is very appealing. Didn't play the demo but I did watch around 30 minutes of it mainly because my friend told me that the attack buttons were R1/R2 like souls games and I hate that crap but thankfully, it's not. It's square/triangle which is good because that's what I prefer.

The only negative from watching those 30 minutes was that there seems to be a crap ton of cinematics. Out of the 30 minutes, I would say 5 minutes was gameplay/combat and another 2 minutes or so with a tutorial combat segment where you just learn the basics. If I end up enjoying the story and characters, this negative probably won't matter too much unless the cinematic to gameplay ratio is just absurd.

On a side note, I know a lot of old school FF fans prefer the turn based combat system and while I did play and complete a few last generation, im just done with them as I had my fill.

The perfect combat system in a JRPG is FFVII Remake because it's real time but also puts the spells and whatnot on a turn based part of the combat which is good because you're still fighting and attacking.
Old 06-20-2023, 02:30 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:
For those who are excited about this (or aren't excited) what is your background with the series? New to FF, played the action-rpg hybrid that was FF7 remake, or you are a Final Fantasy blue blood who dreams in Moogle? Just a purely curious as I've seen a lot of mixed reactions from different segments.

This isn't a knock on anyone who buys it or is excited about it. I've accepted that FF13 was and will the final time that this series feels like a JRPG, and while that sucks for me I know a lot of people will enjoy a DMC like experience. I just wonder is it FF fans who are buying this or people who are new to the genre or franchise (as the game director is on record as tailoring the experience to).
Final Fantasy IV (2 In the US when it came out for SNES) was the first RPG I played for SNES when I was 10. I borrowed from a friend and I was hooked on FF and RPG's as a whole. So, I am loyal to the series and have enjoyed/beaten most of the entries in the series. Looking forward to this and VII Rebirth.
Old 06-20-2023, 09:07 PM   #19
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:

I got my start when I was a kid, my older brother borrowed FF7 and 8 from one of his friends, got my start on those but didn't finish them at that time. Got X on the PS2 a couple years later and I was hooked, went back and got 7 and 8 and finished those, then played through what I could of the rest of the series.

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dibs: AJ Lee
Old 06-20-2023, 09:48 PM   #20
Pro

Played since FFI on the NES. Will wait on this until they release the I inevitable game of the year edition. But have to say it looks really good.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-21-2023, 10:22 AM   #21
MVP

49UNCFan's Arena

OVR: 2

Didn't care too much for FF but this demo is crazy good.

Subscribe and Follow! Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2023, 04:02 PM   #22
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

OVR: 23

Legitimately upset I had to put this down so I can get some work done today

This game is insane man. The combat is clean and so much fun once you start to open things up with different Eikonic abilities and upgrades. The world building is one in a million, I'm incredibly immersed

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dibs: AJ Lee
Old 06-22-2023, 08:27 PM   #23
Pro

Demo was fire. May have to pick this up sooner than later. Really amazing demo.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-25-2023, 01:18 AM   #24
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

I don’t think I’ve ever played a FF game before. It’s possible I did as a kid and don’t remember. I download the demo and played it to the end. Wow! I found it awesome! Going to try to hold out for a sale though because I have other games I’m playing at the moment.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »