Home

There will be an NHL 2K12 (360 & PS3) - Per Take-Two CEO Ben Feder....

This is a discussion on There will be an NHL 2K12 (360 & PS3) - Per Take-Two CEO Ben Feder.... within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #9
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: There will be an NHL 2K12 (360 & PS3) - Per Take-Two CEO Ben Feder....

Goalies definitely are one of the weaker points of NHL 2k10. I never intentionally exploit their fetish for poke checking, but when I go to replays and check out "that awesome goal!" you see that it was more the goalie ****ing the play up then the offensive player beating the goalie.

With that said, I'm with Fiddy. I'm at a point in my gaming career where I just play the games. Yeah, I want them to play realistically and get true to life statistics, but I still want to PLAY my games. The game still plays well enough for me to be able to deal with the issues it does have.

And back to on topic...

GREAT NEWS. I don't know about you guys, but I had pretty much 100% written the series off. Yeah, they said we're just taking a year off, but with each day passing and no future announcement and with guys like WWTC being out of a job, I thought the writing was on the wall. But with this statement, coming from the top, everything has changed. I'm absolutely excited to see what they can do with the extra time. I have a feeling they'll come back with a strong effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?

Last edited by slickdtc; 08-28-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
see, even last year i didnt notice this all that much. i know its there, but i just dont notice it. i must just play a way that doesnt exploit them to do that? who knows..
So wait, you never at all noticed goalies diving on routine saves or poke checking like crazy? Um dude, you don't need to try to exploit anything, they do it even when you don't want them to in 2k10. Not sure if its as bad in 2k11 as I haven't played it but seriously, 2k10's goalies were the worse in the history of the series, doesn't really take much to notice.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27

If this news is true, I'm all for it as competition will only make each game stronger. I still think a lot of it will have to do with the financial success (or failure) of 2k11. After all, 2k did just let go quite a few members of their development teams --- not a good sign.

Are we sure this isn't an older quote?

Last edited by Flyermania; 08-28-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
TIm
MVP

OVR: 12

Lucky for Forums because yesterday I lost my voice and still don't have it back.. Luckily my fingers still work LOL... Who really knows, this may be the game that turns developers looking to do a 2 year cycle. IMO if this game has killer presentation and decent gameplay and does a complete 360 from the glory days of 2k hockey, I would gladly pay money the the next year for a major patch and Newest roster updates...Maybe a good pricepoint would be 19.99?? I understand roster updates the following year some will say the heck with that... But is they put out a spectacular product It would be a easy decision for me to support the company in any way I could.. Now I understand companies like Ea or other huge names can't see the logic because those guys make boatloads of money every year.. But for the medium to smaller guys, I really think this could work.. Some of the blockbuster titles Gran Turismo, Halo, and others take more then a year development so why not sports games.. What would be your take on the situation?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

I am a 2k guy and have been since they blew my mind with NHL 2k5. They were on top of the mountain for several years until NHL 09 happened.

I hope 2k can produce a quality/deep hockey expeirence. Don't get me wrong, I liked 2k10 but it felt clunky and outside of the arena models (perhaps the best arena models in any sports game ever) this game had no little things outside of playoff beards and really really small Final patches. I just don't see them ever competing with EA in the hockey department ever again. Of course #1 thing is gameplay, but the little things are what make a game special. Look at The Show. MLB 2K10 plays perhaps a little better, but the little things The Show has have blown peoples mind away and it's why the game is widely considered the best sports franchise going today.

I hope and want 2k12 to be a revolution and 2k's re-introduction on the next gen consoles and I want 2k to be the game I loved and preferred, but honestly this franchise has been dead for 3 years and every year that 2k has been complacent EA has jumped 5 steps forward. COmpetition is good, but I really wouldn't even consider it a competition. Hockey is EA's world and 2k is just living in it (like NBA is 2k's world compared to the piles of crap EA has given us for what seems a decade)

The only question is not what 2k hockey is gonna do with this year to recoop, it's really just a matter of how much money VC wants to lose on this project before they pull it off life support. Not trying to start a pissing match and it's nothing you guys don't already know, but it is what it is.

Last edited by DrPhibes; 08-28-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

I'll believe it when I see it at this point. I mean they just laid off a bunch of people and the Wii versioh is being trashed by reveiwers, which isn't gonna help matters. So unless they are pulling money from somewhere else to develop the game, I don't see it happening. Also, like Realm stated they better be bring the kitchen sink and more or it will be all for not. Personally I thiink it's the CEO trying to squash the end of 2K Hockey rumors. I hope it's not and I'll buy 2K12 even if it's not on par with EA, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Hey Realm, weren't you just baggin' on Fiddy for "trollin" the EA forum, yet here you are in the 2K forum doing what other than baggin' on 2K10.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #15
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

Great news, although I'll echo what everyone else is saying in that I'd appreciate it if the game was built from the ground up and can at least provide us a competent and logical (but fun) game of hockey. With the other game on the market doing as much as it has this year (and hopefully next year as well), it's going to take an entirely fresh experience to turn things around for 2K and VC.

Innovation is the key word here...if the development team can innovate without being gimmicky this time around (Cinemotion, etc.), then I'll be excited to see what may happen.

And as OBG said on many occasions, "NHL Today" would finally nail the presentation element and allow Randy and Drew to finally speak as they do on a normal Sharks broadcast...but it'll all be for naught if the gameplay doesn't get a much-needed revamp. Hoping for the best but not expecting much, so it's up to Visual Concepts (or an outsourced development team we don't know about) to deliver.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #16
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

I hope they were doing the same thing with College Hoops series...and come back next season strong....that would be amazing....

Can't wait to see early leaks of NHL 2k12

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »