Home

Thank You 2K!...NHL 2K10 has regained the CROWN!

This is a discussion on Thank You 2K!...NHL 2K10 has regained the CROWN! within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #17
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Thank You 2K!...NHL 2K10 has regained the CROWN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
The Show is many things, but one thing it isn't is deep in player attributes. Check any baseball game in the past several years and The Show has the least amount of player ratings of any. They don't even have pitchers' vs L and R ratings, for criminey's sake. Very vanilla game from that perspective.
That's the thing that kills me too, because they do such a great job in getting ratings to play off each other effectively (probably the best in any sports game I've played, period). If they would add those splits, tone down confidence, and a few other little ratings details (mostly for fielding) then it would be a dream.

2K has always had good depth of ratings for their titles, it's just getting them figured out that takes time. Even then, they don't necessarily work well together, which can be frustrating from a customization standpoint.

EDIT: and sorry to jump in the off-topic...lol
Old 09-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #18
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
That's the thing that kills me too, because they do such a great job in getting ratings to play off each other effectively (probably the best in any sports game I've played, period). If they would add those splits, tone down confidence, and a few other little ratings details (mostly for fielding) then it would be a dream.

2K has always had good depth of ratings for their titles, it's just getting them figured out that takes time. Even then, they don't necessarily work well together, which can be frustrating from a customization standpoint.

EDIT: and sorry to jump in the off-topic...lol
Have you decided which game your leaning towards getting Sox? I honestly think I'm leaning this one... I just need something different I think.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #19
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
Have you decided which game your leaning towards getting Sox? I honestly think I'm leaning this one... I just need something different I think.
Well, I'm going to rent both (I haven't outright bought a hockey game since 2K5, I think), but I'm leaning towards this one by a wide margin. The rave reviews the physics and AI are getting overall along along with the apparent depth of customization is a big plus.

It also sounds like the franchise plays out well and is deep enough, which is huge for me...especially since EA's has been (and reportedly still is) atrocious in terms of logic/simmed stats. If the franchise isn't plagued by the frequent 2K bugs that kill long-term value, I'm thinking of buying it.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #20
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Well, I'm going to rent both (I haven't outright bought a hockey game since 2K5, I think), but I'm leaning towards this one by a wide margin. The rave reviews the physics and AI are getting overall along along with the apparent depth of customization is a big plus.

It also sounds like the franchise plays out well and is deep enough, which is huge for me...especially since EA's has been (and reportedly still is) atrocious in terms of logic/simmed stats. If the franchise isn't plagued by the frequent 2K bugs that kill long-term value, I'm thinking of buying it.
Yah, the franchise is a big deciding factor for me too. The whole not being able to see other teams scores, etc, in nhl 10 is a big turnoff for me.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #21
Mercy Extended. John 3:16

texbuk84's Arena

OVR: 34

good post man. i totally agree with you. the game is awesome and playoff beards is back. lol
Devils

2kflightschool.webs.com
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Darkfudge, I also have to piggy back on your comments regarding the jerky transitional animations.

It's what I believe to be the one thing that holds this game back from being really, really good.

I'm still enjoying the game, but it's this issue that makes the players seem 'stuck' or slow to start.
I know I'm not explaining it right, but if they can smooth this out, it would give a lot more control to the user.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 5

Yes I spent about an hour last night in just PRACTICE Mode (5 on 5) (Which btw is a great way to really see the effects of the great physics and puck play of this game shine)

I just spent this time toggling back and forth between the practice mode and the Options screen (Difficulty and Gameplay options) trying to tweak the SPEED, ACCELERATION and ICE FRICTION sliders trying to find the right combination of natural player movement and natural gameplay speed.

I kind of am almost convinced that you just cant smooth out the player movements, they are just too abrupt and insect-like. They dont naturally flow when making quick directional changes at times and you can see this most prevalant in front of and behind the net when several players are jockeying for control of the puck or when a little battle ensues in front of the goalie.

They need to capture and add more transistional frames of animation to these different transistions to smooth out their movement and give the gameplay a more natural feel

All the combinations I tried, seemed wasnt able to address this. I was however able to find the right flow of actual gameplay speed but it still includes those insect, tic-like player movements which is like watching one of those old silent films with the keystone cops

Arrgggh...2K cant you address this in a patch??
Old 09-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #24
Rookie

Bleak5170's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFudge

Arrgggh...2K cant you address this in a patch??
Never going to happen. The 2K series has been like this for a few years now. If they could make it better, they would have done so by now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »