Home

NHL 2K9 (PS3) DEMO TOMORROW!

This is a discussion on NHL 2K9 (PS3) DEMO TOMORROW! within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #65
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NHL 2K9 (PS3) DEMO TOMORROW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
This pro stick is sick! I have so much control. I love the animation. I came crashing the nets and Dats passed it from the board and Frans can in crazy fast and I used the pro stick and slid it in. The goals in this game are really sweet. Also, I love how they got rid of a lot of sucky animation from last year. At least I haven't seen it yet. I don't know how to explain it. It is a shot that they flick in, but like from behind it looks really weird last year. I haven't seen that yet. I really I am starting to love this game. I feel like I am the one who is scoring the goals. Just like I did with EA's. Man, that might be a tough decision for me this year.
Keep 'em coming!!

I know some don't like the new controls, but I'm excited to try them out as I didn't like last years much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #66
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
Hard to "rest your case" when you never had a valid point to begin with.
Hey your in Rockford and have some ice down there and minor hockey so hit the ice Sally you have no excuse
Everyones watching nobody doing ???
So instead of playing guitar hero learn how to play the guitar then you will truly learn to appreciate the music same as learning to play Hockey ! Sure you can learn some things watching on tv but unless you play it on the Ice you will never truly appreciate that unreal feeling and if you did play you would understand that right now instead of making excuses
Sorry this got off topic I much rather talk and hear some NHL2k9 its in the game Fun and Sim thats is.

Last edited by SaintPatrick33; 08-16-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #67
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
Hard to "rest your case" when you never had a valid point to begin with.
I think he's been looking for an angle to establish some sort of expert status for himself for a while now, probably so he can state his opinion as facts and not have people arguing his points. Remember that whole "real fans know the LHN" and "I have forgotten more about hockey than you will ever know" nonsense earlier this week.

Back on topic, I got a chance to play the demo a few times last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. The skating is better than it's ever been in this series. I remember in previous games the players would often do some weird pivot to receive a pass, almost like players on a table hockey game, especially on one-timer attempts. This seems completely gone now.

The defense is no longer looking to hit everything that moves so that's very nice. On the few occasions where the CPU got in the offensive zone on an odd-man rush it at least tried to make a logical play that results in a shot instead of passing back like it used to so I'm optimistic about that.

I used the default button based controls and it worked fine for me. I might use that all the time as I have an easier time going back and forth between EA's stick controls and a button layout than I do with 2 different stick based schemes.

Graphics look better than last year to me, with the exception of the player models and messed up fonts for names and numbers on the jerseys. Unis look too tight but that falls under player models I guess.

I have no clue how sim this will be with sliders but even the style depicted in the demo appeals to me and unless the higher difficulty levels bring back the check happy AI I can see myself playing this a lot more than I did 2K8. 09 will probably be my main game but this should get steady play as well.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #68
All Star

OVR: 24

Damn, you can't even come here for opinions and impressions anymore, no matter what thread it is, there's nothing but fighting and bickering amongst forum members. Anyways, I'm downloading now. I've already reserved NHL 09, but am anxious to check this out as well. It's great that hockey is just around the corner again.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #69
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
This game has a lot of potential. I really like the skating. I think the Ea's skating is a little more smoother, but it is diffidently better than last years game. The Rink is amazing. Also, the checking is Sick. The animation is great. It is funny how people can rip a game about gameplay when you can't change the sliders. lol Go figure. I will say this. This game is so much better than last years. With the right sliders and some tweaking it should be a good game of hockey. And Fin I disagree I think the players faces look pretty good. The one thing they need to do is make the numbers and logos bigger on the jerseys.
I couldn't agree more. Well said.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #70
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

Quote:
This pro stick is sick! I have so much control. I love the animation. I came crashing the nets and Dats passed it from the board and Frans can in crazy fast and I used the pro stick and slid it in. The goals in this game are really sweet. Also, I love how they got rid of a lot of sucky animation from last year. At least I haven't seen it yet. I don't know how to explain it. It is a shot that they flick in, but like from behind it looks really weird last year. I haven't seen that yet. I really I am starting to love this game. I feel like I am the one who is scoring the goals. Just like I did with EA's. Man, that might be a tough decision for me this year.
Good Impressions.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #71
Banned

OVR: 10

Wow just saw the NHL09 preview at GCHD and its barebones dy nasty again Ouch well maybe next year Ill have 2 hockey games and there didnt seem much interest in the same rehash of 08 other than Online of course as Ronnie only recieved 15 Ea questions to a whopping 37 for LNH 2k9 !!!
Looks like the people want Fun and Sim tm.
When I talked to Ronnie he couldnt believe all the interest that gamers once again had for 2k ( well maybe the Hockey Gods know something ?)So take care boys
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #72
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33
Wow just saw the NHL09 preview at GCHD and its barebones dy nasty again Ouch well maybe next year Ill have 2 hockey games and there didnt seem much interest in the same rehash of 08 other than Online of course as Ronnie only recieved 15 Ea questions to a whopping 37 for LNH 2k9 !!!
Looks like the people want Fun and Sim tm.
When I talked to Ronnie he couldnt believe all the interest that gamers once again had for 2k ( well maybe the Hockey Gods know something ?)So take care boys

It looks like the king is back. EA's so called one year reign seems to be over. The one thing I could never get into anyway was any EA games dynasty mode. I can't understand how it's so hard to give it more depth. But considered that EA is more of a pick up and play type of "fun" game, I guess it all makes sense. 2K caters to the "sim crowd", while EA caters to those who just want to score goals and nothing else. I'll still rent it just because, but unless they wow me, I can't see spending 60 dollars on an incomplete game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »