Home

5 Overrated Aspects of NFL 2k5

This is a discussion on 5 Overrated Aspects of NFL 2k5 within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-26-2022, 05:55 PM   #73
Rookie

SteelCityChamp's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: 5 Overrated Aspects of NFL 2k5

This is the biggest "Who Cares" post ever. No matter what you say, people are going to play the football game that they like no matter how old or new it is. You aren't making a point. You are voicing your opinion. And like I said...Who cares?
NBA - Los Angeles Lakers
CBB - NC Tarheels
Bundesliga - FC Bayern Munich
MLS - Seattle Sounders
Old 08-26-2023, 03:56 PM   #74
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoMatty
I'll say to the day I die that mvp05 was the greatest baseball game ever. The gameplay, owner mode, soundtrack. Everything about it was incredible. I couldn't get through a game of it now if I tried though. Its just too old and The Show has made it obsolete.

2k5 is completely different. It's just better than Madden in so many ways. I don't hate Madden in fact I buy it every year. After a few weeks or a month of Madden I am back on 2k.

It's not nostalgia for me either. I liked Madden 05 way better than 2k5 at the time. I played 2k5 till Madden dropped and it wasn't till I had years of being disappointed by Madden that I really developed my deep feeling of appreciation for 2k5.

The OP was a decent read and I could see his points until the " if you like 2k5s gameplay better than Maddens your delusional" comment. 2k5 has some problem areas but as a whole it feels way more like football than anything I've played from Madden in a long long time.
MVP 05 Baseball was the best Baseball game ever but the Show made them obsolete as you stated.

Madden hasn't come close to making 2k obsolete. It's a tad better than 2k but it's miles behind the current Show and a light-years behind NBA2k.

Honestly, Madden biggest issue is its nowhere close to NBA 2k.

EA luckily do no have a 2k for soccer to play against and get their *** kicked.

Madden just isn't innovative anymore and that's what Madden was in 2004 and 2005.

Franchise mode was excellent. Sadly, its basically on the same level today and it's more barebones today than it was in 2005. Whereas NBA 2k is a million miles better today than it was in 2005.

Ultimately, Madden has no one to blame but itself.
Old 09-03-2023, 10:27 PM   #75
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37

This post smells of a person who didn’t own NFL 2K5, which was one of the deepest sports games ever.

Also the commentary is better than Madden 24’. In 2K they comment on everything from playoff possibilities to situational awareness at the end of the games as it pertains to winning, losing, and surprise plays.

To each their own but NFL 2K5 had surprising depth for a game that came out 18 years ago. Still playable and a dope game to own, current.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2023, 02:44 PM   #76
All Star

OVR: 13

NFL2K5 is still the single greatest sports game ever produced. It's not beyond reproach, but criticizing the commentary is confusing; I think it's still better than the current gen Madden commentary in terms of it sounding conversational and like an actual duo calling a game. And halftime highlights of other games - somehow still not a thing in 2023 games. On the field, it was the best playing game of football I've ever seen. Responsive and did not feel 'pre-ordained' like some other games tend to feel, even on deep passes.

It's hard to express how next-level the original NFL2K was when it first released. I've told this story in these forums before, but I knew nothing about the Sega Dreamcast when it was released, and I just happened to be strolling by a Babbages (yes, I'm old) in the mall (see prior comment), and on their TV's was what I 100% genuinely thought was an actual football game being broadcast. When I realized on closer look it was a video game, I asked the clerk what the heck that was. He told me it was NFL2K on the Dreamcast, at which point I asked him "Uh, do you have any of those I can buy right now?", and I ended up buying the system and game on the spot.

I have never been stopped in my tracks like that by a video game, and likely never will be again. NFL2K was like an alien product from 20 years in the future.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:12 PM   #77
MVP

Mos1ted's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
NFL2K5 is still the single greatest sports game ever produced. It's not beyond reproach, but criticizing the commentary is confusing; I think it's still better than the current gen Madden commentary in terms of it sounding conversational and like an actual duo calling a game. And halftime highlights of other games - somehow still not a thing in 2023 games. On the field, it was the best playing game of football I've ever seen. Responsive and did not feel 'pre-ordained' like some other games tend to feel, even on deep passes.

It's hard to express how next-level the original NFL2K was when it first released. I've told this story in these forums before, but I knew nothing about the Sega Dreamcast when it was released, and I just happened to be strolling by a Babbages (yes, I'm old) in the mall (see prior comment), and on their TV's was what I 100% genuinely thought was an actual football game being broadcast. When I realized on closer look it was a video game, I asked the clerk what the heck that was. He told me it was NFL2K on the Dreamcast, at which point I asked him "Uh, do you have any of those I can buy right now?", and I ended up buying the system and game on the spot.

I have never been stopped in my tracks like that by a video game, and likely never will be again. NFL2K was like an alien product from 20 years in the future.
I had a similar experience when NFL 2K3 came out. By then, it was available on platforms other than Dreamcast, so I was able to purchase my copy for the PS2. I was in a mall, walking by an Electronics Boutique when I saw a demo of it playing on the TV screens. I, too, felt like I was watching a live broadcast even though I knew it was a game because I was walking by a gaming store. No game has ever been able to capture my attention on-the-fly in that way since then.
Old 09-13-2023, 05:58 PM   #78
Rookie

OVR: 2

People who think 2K5 was overrated arent/didnt truly appreciate that actual game engine UNDER the hood.

Quite simply, all the 2K sports sims excelled at actually creating dynamic and immersive gameplay by utilizing a much more detailed engine that better factored in the player ratings/attributes which resulted in a much more realistic differentiation of players and skills which ultimately lead to more organic and varied results on the field.

Whether it was NFL 2K5, NHL 2K8, or the NBA 2K series, they absolutely excelled in the area all under the hood even before you add the player graphics and animations in the game.

EA Sports still struggles to this day in this regard with modern day games.....Just take a look at FIFA vs Pro EVO 13, 17 or even 21 and it is as clear as day how this is evident

Anyone who thinks Madden is miles apart from NFL2K5 from years ago is simplied being hoodwinked by the wonderful graphics, textures, and the mediocre animation system that Madden has painted over a very dated AI gameplay ENGINE that feels the same from year to year and hasnt seen much evolution.

Go ahead consider me a fan boy of 2K but there is a reason why many of us are having a much better time playing a game like Legend Bowl then Madden today.....the proof is the pudding
Old 12-21-2023, 05:25 AM   #79
Just started!

OVR: 0

I agree with most of aspects you have mentioned, but can we talk about the overhyped QB celebrations? Backflips after a 5-yard completion? Give me a classic spike any day. Speaking of classic, did anyone rock the NFL Varsity Jackets in their franchise mode? Those things were fire!"
Old 12-21-2023, 11:35 AM   #80
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

I can't agree with much. Some of the things like the 1st person mode was just thrown in. I don't think it was ever perceived as a future gameplay feature. It just was fun to play for a short time. I guess I can agree it's pretty lame after a short time.

As mentioned by many, remember when this came out. We're talking 2004. We're talking almost 1/4 of a century ago! Almost 25 years. I don't think the commentary is half bad, even today. I actually would rather have these guys than the current dudes in Madden. Yes, it hasn't aged perfectly. But man, 2004, why are we bringing this up now as a fault?

Gameplay, to this day, YES, is still better than Madden 24. The physics. The defensive A.I. Still better.

I'd rather play 2k5 over any football any day. Madden 08, 11 and 05 are my next top 4.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »