Home

NFL 2K Playmakers Available Today on Mobile Devices - Launch Trailer

This is a discussion on NFL 2K Playmakers Available Today on Mobile Devices - Launch Trailer within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-23-2024, 05:18 PM   #9
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: NFL 2K Playmakers Available Today on Mobile Devices - Launch Trailer

Not my cup of tea; but welcome back to football 2k.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:30 PM   #10

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

I’m with Canes. Hopefully this is just them laying the groundwork to release a console game at some point in the future if the NFL license were to ever open up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-23-2024, 05:58 PM   #11
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

So there’s at least one source on Twitter — Mike Straw of Insider-Gaming — who is saying that this NFL 2K game is not the only NFL 2K game that Take 2 intends to release: https://twitter.com/mikestrawmedia/s...40505321074870

I have no idea or opinion about Mike Straw’s reporting track record, and the brand name Insider Gaming has changed hands so many times that I don’t know how much credibility its current holders have. But take this information however you will.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2024, 06:52 PM   #12
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
So there’s at least one source on Twitter — Mike Straw of Insider-Gaming — who is saying that this NFL 2K game is not the only NFL 2K game that Take 2 intends to release: https://twitter.com/mikestrawmedia/s...40505321074870

I have no idea or opinion about Mike Straw’s reporting track record, and the brand name Insider Gaming has changed hands so many times that I don’t know how much credibility its current holders have. But take this information however you will.
I trust insider gaming. It's run by Tom Henderson who has been pretty reliable recently.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:57 PM   #13
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Anyway, I played this game for 15 minutes so you don't have to. To be clear: don't waste your time.

Imagine a stripped-down version Madden Ultimate Team where you don't get to control the players, the playbooks are stripped to the bone, there are no missions or quests, and the graphics and lighting look like NFL 2K5 (but all the players wear visors and long sleeves so there are no likenesses or really anything visually interesting).

The "gameplay" if you want to call it that is very similar to WWE Supercard — you pick a play, your opponent picks a play, those plays have some numbers which are compared, that result is modified by your key players' numbers, and then you watch a result play out on the field. Repeat until the game ends.

This bare-bones experience has the audacity to offer in-app purchases costing up to $100 so you may have more "content". To be clear, the content you're getting is static pictures of new players attached to better numbers.

This is a bad mobile game, but not in a way that is particularly novel or interesting. It's similar to a mobile football game I built a pitch deck for when I was still working in indie mobile games in Virginia... back in 2011.

It's honestly insulting that this game bears the name "NFL 2K". If you are looking for a Madden alternative, spend your money and time on literally any other football video game instead.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 04-23-2024 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:55 PM   #14
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Anyway, I played this game for 15 minutes so you don't have to. To be clear: don't waste your time.

Imagine a stripped-down version Madden Ultimate Team where you don't get to control the players, the playbooks are stripped to the bone, there are no missions or quests, and the graphics and lighting look like NFL 2K5 (but all the players wear visors and long sleeves so there are no likenesses or really anything visually interesting).

The "gameplay" if you want to call it that is very similar to WWE Supercard — you pick a play, your opponent picks a play, those plays have some numbers which are compared, that result is modified by your key players' numbers, and then you watch a result play out on the field. Repeat until the game ends.

This bare-bones experience has the audacity to offer in-app purchases costing up to $100 so you may have more "content". To be clear, the content you're getting is static pictures of new players attached to better numbers.

This is a bad mobile game, but not in a way that is particularly novel or interesting. It's similar to a mobile football game I built a pitch deck for when I was still working in indie mobile games in Virginia... back in 2011.

It's honestly insulting that this game bears the name "NFL 2K". If you are looking for a Madden alternative, spend your money and time on literally any other football video game instead.

Definitely appreciate the honesty.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:30 PM   #15
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Not what I’m looking for. Hoping there is another football game dropping closer to the NFL season. If not, ah well back to playing other games and dreaming what could’ve been if not for exclusivity

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2024, 08:45 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zello144
I trust insider gaming. It's run by Tom Henderson who has been pretty reliable recently.
Yeah, I trust Insider Gaming and Mike Straw. He spoke before on how ESPN wanted a bigger inclusion in Madden and other EA titles like it was in NCAA Football and NBA Live in order to reach the younger demographic. That ESPN agreement felt mostly like a way to keep it away from 2k.

I stopped caring for Mobile sports cards games like this a while ago. I use to like the old MyNBA2k app. When it was initially a Facebook computer game, it was at its best with so much little things to do. Then it transitioned to a mobile game where you could first do face scans and had a decent amount of varying games in order to earn VC. Then year by year, they stripping the app down and lessening the amount of VC you can earn. I remember initially being able to earn up to 2500+ VC a day using the app all the down to 400 VC max in a day. I think by 2k21, the MyNBA2k app got stripped all the way down to just Face Scan and them having a separate Mobile Card game where you can't even earn In-Game VC anymore.

It would be nice to see any bread crumbs about the new game. It probably won't release until next year. I want to say the initial Madden sim license ends in 2025, with an option year for 2026 based on revenue benchmarks (that likely will reach). I don't see the sim license opening up unless Madden doesn't hit that revenue benchmark(which it would have to be initially egregiously set by the NFL) or that NFL just truly wants to open it. EA has shown that they are willing to not go full exclusive on licenses with them moving away from Fifa, not doing one with NCAA(even though I think they still have exclusive sim license). I think the only reason why I think EA would push to maintain that exclusive sim license after the current one is up is to continue to control that market. Only other thing would be that NFL prefers exclusive brand licensing. I really don't think whatever console game 2k puts out is going to be a major factor. It would be one thing if 2k would have multiple releases before Madden's deal is up to establish a fanbase and show where they stand in the NFL market. But, it's hard for me to imagine that having essentially one year before the license can potentially open up to be a deciding factor in the license. It would have to be received significantly well or poor in one year. So for me, I think the license agreement will be decided on how the NFL perceives Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »