Home

NBA 2K24 Mamba Moments Details and Trailer Revealed

This is a discussion on NBA 2K24 Mamba Moments Details and Trailer Revealed within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-24-2023, 10:38 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: NBA 2K24 Mamba Moments Details and Trailer Revealed

Don't forget that Kobe's licensing rights are subject to approval by his Estate (Vanessa gets "full legal say" on what is/isn't able to be used) so that IMO plays a huge factor here. I can't imagine that 2K didn't try to get both the 81-point game + 60 point farewell game as those would be the top on most people's lists. There have been multiple other documentaries, releases, etc. that Vanessa has said "No" to allow him to be included in so it doesn't shock me that the Mamba Moments isn't as thrilling as it could be.

IMO they had to do the "Mamba Moments" this year as there was too much community pressure not to do it. I'd love to hear from Erick Boenish on the record about the process as I am pretty sure they tried to secure as much as they could be ended up with their hands tied instead. I know for a fact there are a lot of Kobe fans internally at 2K.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2023, 10:43 AM   #26
VFL

LeBlonde James's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJWizards
Guys, guys...dont you think that if 2k had the possibilty, they would have loved to include the 81 points game or the last 60 points game or any other iconic game?
Kobe is on this earth anymore, remember...
Huh? What does Kobe passing have to do with bot being able to include those moments

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2023, 10:45 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlonde James
Huh? What does Kobe passing have to do with bot being able to include those moments

His rights belong to his Estate now...and they have the last word on everything.

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/mjwizardschannel

Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/WizardsMj

Last edited by MJWizards; 08-24-2023 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-24-2023, 10:47 AM   #28
MVP

MavsManiac4Life's Arena

OVR: 11

Kobe’s in the game, all over the marketing, etc. All these other challenges are in the game and there’s not much controversy with anything missing vs. a game from 2004 or 2005 that I could see them blocking. Highly doubt it’s an estate issue, guessing guys on the opponents held out thinking 2K would bump the licensing fee to make sure certain moments made it and then 2K didn’t do that.
Old 08-24-2023, 10:47 AM   #29
MVP

lakers24's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt8405
Don't forget that Kobe's licensing rights are subject to approval by his Estate (Vanessa gets "full legal say" on what is/isn't able to be used) so that IMO plays a huge factor here. I can't imagine that 2K didn't try to get both the 81-point game + 60 point farewell game as those would be the top on most people's lists. There have been multiple other documentaries, releases, etc. that Vanessa has said "No" to allow him to be included in so it doesn't shock me that the Mamba Moments isn't as thrilling as it could be.

IMO they had to do the "Mamba Moments" this year as there was too much community pressure not to do it. I'd love to hear from Erick Boenish on the record about the process as I am pretty sure they tried to secure as much as they could be ended up with their hands tied instead. I know for a fact there are a lot of Kobe fans internally at 2K.
Yeah, but if that's the case why would she be fine with these and not the others when she knows those are his most remembered games? It makes zero sense.

What does make sense is them not including it due to player likenesses. That 06 Raptors team had like 5 guys in 2k23. I can see them viewing it as not worth it with a bunch of CAPs on Toronto. The 60 in the last game I could MAYBE understand given she and their daughters were there, but I could also see it as a sizeable portion of that Jazz team isn't in the game.
Old 08-24-2023, 10:48 AM   #30
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlonde James

His Estate legally owns the rights to his likeness and has to "Legally" allow/sign off on how his likeness is represented. In this particular case, Vanessa may not have liked how some things were used for certain games as you also have to remember they add "Video Footage", "Interviews" etc into the mode as well. 2K can only do what she allows essentially, so if she said "No" then they "Legally" have to scrap those games and choose something she will allow.

The same goes for any other player who has passed, their loved one who is in charge of their estate must sign an agreement to feature their likeness in NBA 2K before 2K is allowed to include them. That is why there are a lot of "Legends" not included in the game currently. This also applies to any players who are removed from the NBA for one calendar year or more as they have to sign on outside of the NBPA agreement.
Old 08-24-2023, 10:48 AM   #31
Pro

They did not do this Justice.

They have him on the covers, they have so much themed around Kobe for this year.

Even if they for some reason could not get approval to use certain moments, you could have atleast given him his proper animations.

You’ve had better Kobe animations before, why are they worse now?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2023, 10:50 AM   #32
Rookie

EllCee's Arena

A little underwhelming for sure. Not even 8 for Kobe?

Happy to see Brandon Roy back in the trailer and a not old Pau Gasol model seen towards the end!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »