Home

NBA 2K24 Mamba Moments Details and Trailer Revealed

This is a discussion on NBA 2K24 Mamba Moments Details and Trailer Revealed within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-25-2023, 12:23 AM   #113
Pro

vetmin's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K24 Mamba Moments Details and Trailer Revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
So if I'm reading between the lines correctly, based upon a quoted post the page prior, it seems quite likely this was a rights issue on behalf of Kobe's estate and in that case, there's really nothing else 2K could have done.

That 81-point game and his final game are truly probably the two most iconic moments that come to mind when I think of Kobe's career, but I think I'll still take an abridged Kobe Moments Challenge over no challenge at all. I have to imagine there's going to be a lot of folks who don't feel the same way though. But again, seems it was out of 2K's hands.
2K still bears responsibility for what they present to consumers. If it was a permission-from-the-estate issue, then I suppose it’s not fair to criticize 2K for lack of ambition or for poor judgment re: which Kobe moments are the most iconic, but it just shifts the target of criticism to their project planning and/or their judgment re: the salvageability of the mode if certain key moments are missing.

So there is something they could’ve done; they could’ve done a different sort of mode if certain must-include Mamba Moments could not be included. If there wasn’t time, then they should’ve started planning earlier. It’s not like the “24” thing snuck up on them, and it’s not like Kobe passed away months into development, throwing a wrench into well-laid plans.

Literally the only scenario I can think of that would totally absolve 2K is if they secured the rock-solid legal rights / permissions from the estate a year and a half ago to include the missing Moments (like, as the first order of business), but some time past the point of no return the estate changed its mind, and even though legally 2K could’ve said “screw you, we already have your permission in writing,” they respected the estate’s wishes despite the awkward situation it would put them in with their game. If that’s what happened, then 2K did the right thing.

If it wasn’t literally that, then 2K screwed up somewhere along the way, and given the delicate circumstances surrounding Kobe and his estate, it’s borderline scummy of 2K to put out a mode like this with omissions so glaring that we can’t help but speculate why, as we’re doing now, with Kobe’s estate being where we inevitably end up. If his estate was uncomfortable with essential aspects of the mode, 2K should’ve known that well before any plans were set in stone so that they could respect the estate’s wishes and pivot to a Plan B that doesn’t so blatantly draw a big, red circle around the estate’s sensitivities.
Old 08-25-2023, 03:17 AM   #114
Rookie

I dont get why everyone is saying its a estate issue. Whats wrong with the 81 or kobes last game that would make his family say “No, not this one?” He’s already in the game, so why not have his most famous games?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-25-2023, 03:55 AM   #115
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounddog146
I dont get why everyone is saying its a estate issue. Whats wrong with the 81 or kobes last game that would make his family say “No, not this one?” He’s already in the game, so why not have his most famous games?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
We’re saying that because Czar seemingly just confirmed it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2023, 06:10 AM   #116
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
See this is BS I'm sorry. Several of Jordan's moments aren't particularly special if you look into it. I've said for years Jordan did benefit from being the 1st TRUE marketed mega star. Because of this he reached deity status. There have been plenty of stars who could have a mode dedicated to their greatest performances. They unfortunately don't have that brand behind them so you think it wasn't as significant. (You bring up Kobe losing to Phx for the gamewinner not being significant, well Jordan scored 63 in G2 but was swept vs the Celtics)

Magic could have a mode like this, but most only remember G6 in 1980 as a rookie as "iconic." Not one of Duncan's games would be seen as important but what about that 21, 20, 10, 8 performance in G7 of the 2003 Finals? LeBron has what, 2? G5 vs Detroit in 07 and G6 2012 vs Boston. Maybe the game winner vs Orlando or G1 vs GSW would be included, but nope he lost those series so that invalidates it apparently.
63 points being a playoff record, broken foot year, second season, singlehandedly taking Bulls who weren’t playoff contenders before into overtime against a 5 HoF goated champion Celtics.

Making a steal on the defensive side THEN calmly walking the ball upcourt to hit a game winner in dramatic fashion to seal his 6th ring before retiring still in his prime?

Defeating Magic Johnson while putting up over 31 PPG and 11.4 APG (player with the 2nd highest APG in a finals series ever, behind only Magic himself)

MJ holds the most buzzer beaters in history despite less years played than others, including the Cavs shot to advance (don’t think Kobe hit as important a buzzer beater?)

Dream team to bring back gold (which to be fair Kobe has just as if not more of a badass story being that he joined the flailing LeBron led Olympic team who kept losing without him and finally led them to victory, albeit Wade was the best player on court that tournament)

North Carolina college game winner

Largely carrying the Bulls to victory despite a horrible flu he fought through

Sweeping Orlando so bad Shaq fled, the year after he got beat due to retiring in his prime

Retired in his prime twice

Came back for a full season to break the regular season refused then win a chip

Putting in work to sweep the pistons who made rules to physically assault him

Etc etc

Does anyone have bigger / more story esque actual moments than that?

Kobe’s biggest moment is probably an 81 point game. A monumental feat, but regular season vs the raptors, 2 bad teams playing each other. His other would be beating the Celtics. But he didn’t have a special series Individually, and had a very bad offensive last game (though made up for it with rebounds and intangibles). Kobe never had a truly dominating finals, maybe 09 with 32.4ppg in 43%. Gasol often had better advanced stats I believe.

Personally, I think the bulk of Kobe’s career is one of the most impressive ever. He never fled to another team. Never made a superteam, never whined about “help” or cried for more superstar teammates. He won 2 chips when gasol as his #2 in the same era LeBron had prime Wade and Bosh. Kobe stuck with the lakers and went from a blessing to have Shaq, to falling out, rebuilding in his prime, and winning again. Amazing. His first 3 finals when Shaq were against comically weaker teams (though shoutout to pacers who almost took them to 7, an older, hurt version of the 98 pacers who also gave MJ hell. He also played a Magic team that had no business in the finals. But aside from that he always had his hands full in the playoffs.

But in terms of singular performances, Kobe doesn’t have many TRULY iconic moments when the stakes were very high imo.
Old 08-25-2023, 06:46 AM   #117
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5

Don't worry folks, for 160 dollars you'll get a Black Mamba cap to put on your Sims character to play in the virtual park with!

That'll sweeten the deal!
Old 08-25-2023, 07:52 AM   #118
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
Don't worry folks, for 160 dollars you'll get a Black Mamba cap to put on your Sims character to play in the virtual park with!

Is that confirmed? And can you wear the cap sideways and/or backwards if so?
Old 08-25-2023, 08:02 AM   #119
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
I just don't understand going through with this once you couldn't get clearance for the games you know people want the most. This following the Jordan Challenge too. I'm just genuinely curious what the thought process was as this came about.

The blog and video clearly listed the 7 moments just like the Jordan Challenge blog and video listed the 15.
Others might disagree but I'll take 7 moments over nothing at all, which is what we got from 2k13-2k22.

I trust that 2k has their reasons for why certain games weren't included. People making 2k are fans just like us. They know Kobe's 81 and last game are two of his biggest moments. It's not like they intentionally left those games out because they didn't think they were worthy.

With next year being a bit of a 25th anniversary for 2K I hope they keep the challenges/moments mode going and do something like "top 25 games from the last 25 years" or "25 biggest games/moments from NBA history" instead of focusing solely on 1 player. It'll give them more options and maybe an excuse to add more classic players and teams.
Old 08-25-2023, 08:24 AM   #120
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
NBA 2K24 Mamba Moments Details and Trailer Revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg

Always thought this joke was odd for THIS particular forum especially…

I’ve seen people go crazy over Jordan’s leg sleeve placement (amongst other accessory discussions)

Calls for jobs to be taken because of leg thickness

Entire lived in worlds created for franchises, Developing storylines along the way

Hey….which is all fine

but creating your own player to play with others!?Nonsense! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 08-25-2023 at 08:28 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »