Home

Ideas to improve MLB The Show 23 (a more detailed wishlist of sorts)

This is a discussion on Ideas to improve MLB The Show 23 (a more detailed wishlist of sorts) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-12-2022, 02:07 PM   #9
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Ideas to improve MLB The Show 23 (a more detailed wishlist of sorts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Y2Y saves wasn't removed due to additional consoles being added. It was removed because it was/is a major hurdle in advancing franchise mode to where both SDS and the community want it to be.
And yet we've still not seen the advancements. So if that's why it was removed, give us the advancements.

And even if that was the case for Franchise, why remove year to year for rosters?

Not saying you're wrong or that SDS hasn't floated that as a reason, but we need to see the actual improvements to Franchise to fully except that reason.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:11 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 0
Ideas to improve MLB The Show 23 (a more detailed wishlist of sorts)

General
  • The return of the features we lost amidst the next-gen/multiplatform transition. Sounds of the Show, roster importing, year-to-year saves, etc.. I'm not holding my breath on any of these returning, but I really hope they can at least find a solution for SOTS one day. It pains me that no version of this game exists with both SOTS and Stadium Creator
  • Editable managers and coaches
  • Rebuilding the name audio database that had been built up by the previous broadcast team

Franchise
  • The league setup options from NBA 2K's MyNBA (getting to realign, even delete, teams from the get-go). Also, being allowed to adjust league rules at will. In an age where some rule changes haven't exactly been universally accepted, it'd be nice to have the roption to turn things like the three-batter minimum off.
  • Playable high-A teams (combined with roster/draft expansion)
  • "Inside The Show" getting some more TLC to compliment the presentation improvements made this year

March to October
  • Let us use custom rosters! It's borderline inexcusable that this still isn't possible in the mode's fourth year. This mode could be a really good fit for classic roster season replays, but that's not possible in it's current state.

Presentation
  • I love what SDS did with the regional theme this year, and I hope those motifs carry forward into the future. However, I also miss the days where MLBTS had three different presentation packages to choose from. I'd also appreciate it if they tried to mimic some of the real-life RSNs (NBC Sports, Bally Sports, etc.)
  • I'd also appreciate having the MLB Network package back in the game. I've mentioned this before, but I found it was the only package that felt "right" to use with classic rosters. As if MLB Network was rebroadcasting a classic game.
  • I'm also still miffed that we've never been able to use the retro broadcast packages from Moments in other modes. Combined with SOTS or Stadium Creator, having retro broadcast packages to go along with classic rosters would create some amazing immersion and historical accuracy.

Stadiums
  • I doubt this will happen now that we have Stadium Creator, but it would be nice to have more Spring Training, MiLB, and classic stadiums with in the game with a professional touch/polish. Off the top of my head, I'd still love to see Old Comiskey, Tiger Stadium, and Candlestick Park receive the full SDS treatment.

Uniforms
MLS: San Jose Earthquakes
EPL: Brentford FC

RIP San Francisco Deltas | 2017 NASL Champions

Last edited by ripcandlestickpark; 05-27-2022 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:42 PM   #11
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescoop
And yet we've still not seen the advancements. So if that's why it was removed, give us the advancements.

And even if that was the case for Franchise, why remove year to year for rosters?

Not saying you're wrong or that SDS hasn't floated that as a reason, but we need to see the actual improvements to Franchise to fully except that reason.
They've started the advancements.

One was the change to the budgets last year so that teams weren't constantly up against the wall in terms of money to where they couldn't make roster moves/trades due to budgetary constraints. They still happen obviously but to a much much lesser extent.

This year they fixed the budget to mirror real life where only the salaries of players on the 40 man roster counted towards the budget.

They've also redone other things but I don't know that those would've impacted/been impacted by having to account for Y2Y saves, but I know the two mentioned above in regards to budget would have/were.

The removal of Y2Y saves isn't going to propel franchise mode from 0-60 in a year, or two. There is a lot of old/legacy code that needs to be dealt with.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 05-12-2022 at 03:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2022, 02:59 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescoop
MLB The Show is still a great game. But there are definitely certain things that need to improve or be expanded on. I use to post these on my blog here but since those aren't seen on the main page anymore here's a post. I primarily play on Franchise mode of course my thoughts below will mainly focus there. But I also enjoy stadium creator so I will have a section focused there. I’ll actually start there.

Improving Stadium Creator
1. Domes and retractable roofs need to be added. This is a no brainer and one that many thought we’d see added this year. A lot of folks enjoy creating classic stadiums. I’ve seen some cool attempts to work around for the Astrodome but we need an actual dome option. And for folks working on future stadiums would love the retractable roof options for the future stadium dreams. Figure out a way.
2. Moving the bullpens. Bullpens being locked in to on the field was fine last year. But we need to be able to set everything up for our parks. Most ballparks, even in the minors, have moved the bullpens. Give us that option in the creation.
3. Wall ads. Outfield wall needs to allow us to add ads on the wall. This is seen in ball parks all around. It should be in the game and seems like a simple fix.
4. Add Yellow lines on the walls for ground rules. I’ve seen a lot of folks ask for this. We should be able to have the yellow line on the walls and maybe have a wall that the line goes lower than the wall. Give us that freedom to create.
5. Distance markers on the wall, name of stadium on wall, etc. These things are in real ball parks. Allow us that freedom so we can create more of what we want!
6. Large body of water right outside the home run wall. Pensacola’s minor league stadium, PNC, Oracle Park all have water a home run can splash down in. We want to create that in our stadium. Those that have created Pensacola’s Blue Wahoo Stadium have gotten creative with a fountain but a real bay would be cool.
7. Allow online users to agree to face each other at any stadium. If I want to play my friend at my created stadium and he wants to play there give us that option. It should be as simple as both parties must agree to stadiums that aren’t “competitive approved.”
8. More save slots. If I want to have all the minor league stadiums, give me the slots to have them all and a few for custom and classic. I would like it expanded to 75. (I realize this is a tall order and might not be possible yet so that’s why it is low on the list. And if one of my requests below gets honored this might not even be needed.
9. Team branding in stadium. I want to place my team's logo if I'm creating their stadium. And this needs to be for existing team too if I want to build a new Oakland A's stadium, I want to put their logo on the field, on scoreboards. I want it to feel like the home of the A's.

Franchise Mode improvements
1. Finally add actual single A teams. Enough of the “single A slot” to dump a few guys. I want a full single A roster and teams. Gives us more spots and more prospects and for those that enjoy playing as the minor league teams, more teams!
2. League expansion options. This is a no brainer and long overdue. With the team editor we can even set up our dream expansion city without having to choose from a preset list. And we can have our dream stadium for the team expansion. And MLB is actually talking about expanding. So put in the game. Follow the model that NBA 2K has. It is that simple.
3. Team relocator. If I am controlling a team and in year two, I want to move the team, give us that option. Follow the model from other games that makes it hard for a team with a good market to move. But allow me to move the Rays from Tampa to Montreal. Team editor is cute but I want to have the full experience like in other sports titles. And with stadium assignments I can have them move into my newly created stadium. (move bullpens where I want them, damnit! LOL)
4. More than one broadcast team. We need an A team for the big national games. We need a regional team for the regional games. And I think we need a minor league team (or single broadcaster that is blow the standard of the others.) I want to it to feel different when I’m playing a regional game and a national one. The overlays aren’t enough. I want it to feel different when I’m playing a minor league game and an MLB one. NBA 2K has more than one team so we know this is doable.
5. Custom Draft classes. Why this isn’t already in the game is beyond me. This will be asked for until it is actually added. Let us create and share our draft classes. And if we can create a custom draft class, allow us to create custom international free agents too.
6. Rainouts and rescheduled games, including double headers. I have seen some folks try and say this isn’t possible. It is. Just make the rainout games predetermined or something. And allow us to have an expanded roster for the double headers. This is something that would be fun to plan around.
7. International free agent signing period. Give us a few “stars” from other countries we can try to sign. They for the most part, they would be MLB ready.
8. Give us the free agent signing cut scenes like what you gave March to October. Something fun when I win the bidding war in Franchise would be cool. (And still cool if I lose.) It should be a big deal when a big name decides where he’s going.
9. New rules voted on at the end of the season. NBA 2K does a great job have this in their franchise. If I want to end the DH across both leagues, add the pitch clock, end the Manfred runner or add it. Give us an owner’s vote. (of course, we can override the vote if we don’t like it.) This would be a cool addition.
10. Multiple team trades. Another feature long overdue for Franchise mode. Allow me to get other teams involved if needed for trades.

Game Features in General
1. Bring back Sounds of the Show. Figure out a way. This adds so much to the game and longtime fans want it back. It is a feature we miss dearly and want to see back.
2. Bring back year to year saves! This should have never left and should have return this year if the reason was new consoles. Now that Switch has been added it needs to return. This helps the roster builders. It helps the folks that invest a lot into their Franchise to keep them going. And you can add year to year created stadium saves as well now. Bring this back!
3. More team specific items. The W flag for the Cubs. The drummer in Cleveland. The Yankee Roll Call (it was in the game at one time.) Those are little things that would add to realism. There are others. Get them added to the game.
4. More song licenses. If we can’t get SOTS back, get the rights to songs like Sweet Caroline and add it in to Fenway, Thank God I’m a Country Boy in Baltimore, Go Cubs Go, Detroit Rock City, Thunderstruck, Cheap Seats are all songs that if we can’t add our self we need in the game. (It would be easier to let us add this so SOTS please!)
5. Real Minor League stadiums. You could and should give us the actual minor league stadiums. If you don’t have time to get them all, at least start and give us some of the bigger ones. This would also mean we’d have more created slots for our created stadiums.
6. More throwback uniforms. Folks love throwbacks and we need more. Get rid of the stupid batting practice uniforms. No one likes them or uses them. Open up more slots by removing the batting ones.
7. Make sure you get all the alternate uniforms. All too often, folks complain that an alternate for their favorite team is missing. Make sure this doesn’t happen again.
You can do wall art by placing doors on the wall. In "fences" there is a vertical wall you can place behind the doors and then put whatever art you want on the wall. My stadium is Country Mile Field and I have the name of the field on the left field wall using this method.

You can also relocate your franchise after each season.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:46 PM   #13
Rookie

The graphics for the love of god need a real facelift.

I’ll even take the ps2 uniform template to be upgraded with multiple uniform template and cloth physicis. Just that alone would really give the visuals a huge facelift!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-13-2022, 03:16 AM   #14
Pro

OVR: 5

With the move to a new broadcast team we lost most of our last name voice files for created players. I would like to see in MLB 23 a significant effort to add many of these back.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-13-2022, 11:13 AM   #15
MVP

thescoop's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
You can do wall art by placing doors on the wall. In "fences" there is a vertical wall you can place behind the doors and then put whatever art you want on the wall. My stadium is Country Mile Field and I have the name of the field on the left field wall using this method.

You can also relocate your franchise after each season.
Neither of these are what I am talking about. I know we can "rebrand" a team and select a new city. I want more than that like league approval to move. I want expansion so if we want to grow the league we can. A little different from what they currently have. Hope that clears up what I meant on that one.

As far as your other point on walls, that's a workaround. I want to put them on the actual walls. I want to add text to the walls and the yellow line. I want more control without having to do a workaround to include.

But I love your tip for making it work within the current game. Thank you for that.

Last edited by thescoop; 05-13-2022 at 09:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2022, 11:19 AM   #16
MVP

thescoop's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
They've started the advancements.

One was the change to the budgets last year so that teams weren't constantly up against the wall in terms of money to where they couldn't make roster moves/trades due to budgetary constraints. They still happen obviously but to a much much lesser extent.

This year they fixed the budget to mirror real life where only the salaries of players on the 40 man roster counted towards the budget.

They've also redone other things but I don't know that those would've impacted/been impacted by having to account for Y2Y saves, but I know the two mentioned above in regards to budget would have/were.

The removal of Y2Y saves isn't going to propel franchise mode from 0-60 in a year, or two. There is a lot of old/legacy code that needs to be dealt with.
I get some what you're saying but I also think it is in large part an excuse from SDS. But again, why not include the Y2Y for the rosters if you can't include them for Franchise? At least brining back Y2Y for rosters if you can't on the other would go a long way to show some good faith. And then the amazing work on classic, fictional roster, etc would carry over instead of having to be redone.

Bottom line is removing beloved features like Y2Y and SOTS is never a good thing. Even if we can see some understanding of why, they need to work on figuring out how to get them back.

Thanks for your feedback on this though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »