Home

Pitch count way too high for me with quick count

This is a discussion on Pitch count way too high for me with quick count within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2024, 08:41 PM   #17
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Pitch count way too high for me with quick count

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRambo
Unfortunately, it's either this, or an insane amount of strikeouts like last year.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Yes this thought did cross my mind.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:22 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 4

I much prefer quick counts the way they used to be (minus 1 for each batter), as I felt it produced more realistic results/pitch counts and IP levels for pitchers.

That being said, I increase both human SP stamina and CPU SP stamina to 10, and drop CPU foul frequency to 0 and I’m happy enough with the results.

I can at times get higher stamina pitchers into the 7th or 8th inning if they are pitching well, and same with the CPU, they seem to make it to “realistic” points in the game, usually pitching at least 5 IP, but often 6+ if they’ve thrown well. Occasionally I’ll momentarily drop CPU manager hook slider to zero mid game if the pitcher is dominating me and I don’t want to see them get replaced as they wouldn’t in real life. But I also find the AI is better at this this year. In past year games if a reliever warmed up during an inning the SP was pitching, they’d be put into the game next inning 100% of the time. But this year I’ve actually seen the AI send the SP pitcher back out
(Even without dropping manager hook), yet have them on a short leash (ie if a hitter gets on they replace them.) I like this and have even seen it happen when the pitcher has yellow stamina bar.

You do just have to mentally ignore the actual pitch counts, because a higher rated stamina pitcher will often be able to stay in to the game at 130+ pitches, which obviously isn’t something that happens in real life.

And note you CANNOT use these sliders for simmed games as IP totals will be way too high.

I have two slider sets for played versus simmed and just switch them back and forth.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:50 PM   #19
Pro

IndianSummer's Arena

I have dropped foul frequency to 0 on both myself and AI.
It might have helped a bit but not to the extreme I was hoping for. This is still much better than the K fest that was 23.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:21 PM   #20
MVP

GoDucks1224's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRyan
Honestly prefer that but why not more pop flys instead of foul balls?

I play full games and it’s kinda frustrating that I tend to see 2-3 AI AB’s a game where they foul off EVERYTHING I throw. Including things intentionally outside the zone. I get to the point where I throw things nowhere close thinking they’ll finally take a walk and free me from this hell, but they foul those off too! I swear these AB’s are intended to get my pitch count up if I’m doing too well or something. Because it’s not like it’ll be elite hitters every time. It’ll be like the 9 hole guy with 50 contact, 30 power, and 30 vision seeing 13 pitches before he almost always strikes out. It’s been a thing for a couple years I think, but I swear it’s worse this game.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:13 PM   #21
Rookie

The problem with quick counts is that every at bat has a minimum of 3 pitches because there are no 0-0, 1-0 or 0-1 counts which inflates the pitch count. I wonder how many at bats IRL have fewer then 3 pitches thrown? I find the majority of at bats start with 1-1 counts. If they added in more variety in starting counts like including 0-0 counts I believe it would produce more realistic results.

Though I find the pitch counts are inflated, I usually don't have an issue with stamina especially with my Ace pitchers. I actually pitched into the 9th with Gausman just last night before he was out of energy. I play with Legend pitching/HOF batting on default sliders. Usually can get to 120+ pitches before they are out of stamina.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2024, 12:28 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendre1981
The problem with quick counts is that every at bat has a minimum of 3 pitches because there are no 0-0, 1-0 or 0-1 counts which inflates the pitch count. I wonder how many at bats IRL have fewer then 3 pitches thrown? I find the majority of at bats start with 1-1 counts. If they added in more variety in starting counts like including 0-0 counts I believe it would produce more realistic results.

Though I find the pitch counts are inflated, I usually don't have an issue with stamina especially with my Ace pitchers. I actually pitched into the 9th with Gausman just last night before he was out of energy. I play with Legend pitching/HOF batting on default sliders. Usually can get to 120+ pitches before they are out of stamina.
Quick check on Baseball Savant

pitches put in play wth a count of 0-0 | 0-1, 0-2, 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 represent 8.3% of pitches in 2023.

All of those counts are not represented in Quick Counts.

Looking at 2024, it is approximately 7.5%
Old 04-24-2024, 02:13 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteLordz
Quick check on Baseball Savant

pitches put in play wth a count of 0-0 | 0-1, 0-2, 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 represent 8.3% of pitches in 2023.

All of those counts are not represented in Quick Counts.

Looking at 2024, it is approximately 7.5%
Come to think of it, I never see 0-2, 2-0 or 3-0 counts either. Seems like an easy fix to have all possible counts as a starting count. I don't get why it seems like 75% of the starting counts are 1-1.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:47 PM   #24
Pro

zukes's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRyan
Update I got through 6 with Ohtani. Came out in the 7th gave up a couple of hits with 120 pitches and I pulled him. Seemed a bit better though.

Would ya'll recommend changing the slider for the CPU pitchers as well or?
Starters yes, not relievers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »