Home

Franchise guys who like to build history/play seasons quickly - Ideas needed !

This is a discussion on Franchise guys who like to build history/play seasons quickly - Ideas needed ! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2024, 08:52 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Franchise guys who like to build history/play seasons quickly - Ideas needed !

Hi all,

I have all the respect in the world for people who play every pitch of every inning in franchise, but that’s never interested me due to time restrictions and because in sports games I most enjoy getting through seasons relatively quickly and trying to build history while still trying to become immersed.

I want to see the players I draft make the bigs.., I want to see my players come and go and retire, I want to try to build a dynasty, etc.

But I’m struggling with trying to find that balance with MLB24…

So I’m curious for ideas from others who are like me and like to try to build history and play multiple seasons …

Do you only play out one game a week and sim the rest ?

Use custom game entry only ?

Play as GM only during the season then play out the playoffs ?

What tasks do you delegate to the AI in season or offseason and which do you handle yourself ?

I’m curious to hear ideas from anyone who likes a somewhat quick paced franchise mode.

Thanks !
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2024, 09:14 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Franchise guys who like to build history/play seasons quickly - Ideas needed !

I play 5 regular season games a season. Typically just once a month with each starter. If I make the post-season I limit myself to only playing 2 games each series. I manually control all other duties in my franchise. I also don't allow myself to sign free agents better than 79 overall. I Also try not to fleece the computer in trades. I also enjoy watching what becomes of the league down road. I just finished 2030 with the A's and were coming off back to back world series championships.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:35 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Franchise guys who like to build history/play seasons quickly - Ideas needed !

You could play 1 game per series, 1st game of 1st series, 2nd game of 2nd series, etc. 1st and 3rd or 1st and last of a 4 gm series that gets you about 50 games a season. They say it's a third of the games that matter as every team will win 1/3 and lose 1/3.

Sent from my SM-A546U1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2024, 10:39 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 2

Two ideas I’ve used.

Medium length: play every game as a rotating player lock. Game 1 is pitcher, game 2 catcher, game 3 first base, etc. You’ll rotate through 18 times for 162 games. In the playoffs you can choose position each game but can’t repeat during the same series. I prefer this for contending teams.

Short length: Every Friday play your Double A game, Saturday play Triple A, Sunday MLB. Rotate player lock each weekend so you play all pitchers, then all catchers, etc. I prefer this for rebuilding organizations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2024, 10:58 AM   #5
Pro

I've moved more towards playing every pitch of every game just because I love the game so much. But I get the feeling of wanting to see your players retire, come and go etc.

I like the rotating player lock idea. Let's you get a feel for different players on your team.

I have also quick managed in the past and used quick manage to create my own "critical situations". Using quick manage allows me to see when, for example, the opposing pitcher has maybe struggled the first two innings and given up a couple hits or walks but I haven't scored. Then say in the 3rd or 4th inning I get runners at second and third with no one out and my number 9 hitter is up. I look at that as a situation I'll jump in at because if i can get a base hit with my 9 hitter and the lineup turns over I have a chance at a big inning and could chase the starter.

Similarly, if my pitcher is getting in and out of trouble with quick manage I can jump in and pitch situations where I have 2 on with no one out and try to get out of the jam.

And then of course play games here and there. I find the quick manage approach to be better than either critical situations or the new feature in 24 and game entry. Quick manage let's me do the same thing. I will say I don't have 24 so maybe I'm missing something with how that feature works, but it didn't seem like it offered me more than how I use Quick Manage.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2024, 11:02 AM   #6
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

I player lock my starting pitcher. So usually that has me hitting for 2-3 innings.

Games take 30 minutes or so.

Sometimes I’ll sim my 5th starter if he’s a scrub. Especially if he’s(I’ve) been getting beat up.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:03 AM   #7
Did I do that???

mrCPUgeek's Arena

You could do play one, sim 5. That way you’re playing with each starter. But you’re only playing around 30ish games. Or even 1/10 if you want to play less. I’ve done both of those in the past.

The other option is to use the new situations option. It looks interesting. In fact I may give it a go later in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2024, 11:18 AM   #8
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Play 1, quick manage 5 or 10. With quick manage, each game lasts 5-10 minutes and you feel involved in all of the games because you are seeing everything unfold.

As far as other responsibilities, I manually do everything that way I feel in control of the roster from MLB all the way down the farm system.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »