Home

The Polo Grounds Challenge

This is a discussion on The Polo Grounds Challenge within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
MVP

sydrogerdavid's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: The Polo Grounds Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I don't think it's possible. It's like 480 feet and it's a high wall.

However, in MLB 11 I once did something that I've spent the entire last year trying to duplicate on camera, with no such luck... and what's worse is I doubt anyone will believe me until I can do it again either. With Babe Ruth at Minute Maid Park, I hit a home run off the lights in right field (the ones attached to the retractable roof overhanging). I'm going to try and make that happen this year, and this time I will have recorded it.
I hit it OVER the roof with a player in an old PC game, Microsoft Baseball 2001. Of course they didn't have the best ball physics back then and they didn't know how the park played back then because Enron was still new. Your feat is much more impressive.

As for the Polo Grounds, have you entered a game and cranked the wind slider all the way up? You should have a good chance if it's blowing out to dead center. I've hit a fly ball into the extra part out there, but I've never even come close to hitting the wall.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydrogerdavid
I hit it OVER the roof with a player in an old PC game, Microsoft Baseball 2001. Of course they didn't have the best ball physics back then and they didn't know how the park played back then because Enron was still new. Your feat is much more impressive.

As for the Polo Grounds, have you entered a game and cranked the wind slider all the way up? You should have a good chance if it's blowing out to dead center. I've hit a fly ball into the extra part out there, but I've never even come close to hitting the wall.
Well if you see my sliders, you'll know I always have the wind slider up.

All the wind slider does is increase the range of what the wind speed might possibly be for any given game. The most it's blown was about 40 MPH, but it was a crosswind. You can see it in this video (go to 0:15).

I doubt I could make it happen in a game, but if I could have the wind go out in HRD then do it, then certainly it should be possible!
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #11
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

OVR: 26

Just got done playing a HR Derby and Polo Grounds with Adam Dunn and Mark Trumbo. I was just trying to hit HR's to dead center and failed. I hit one that cleared the high wall just to the left of dead center and I hit the staircase but I'm thinking it's just about impossible to hit one to straight away center. It's a bomb plus a high wall. All I know is those had to be the worst seats of all time to watch a game. You're like 10 miles from the action.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
Rookie

bautistabomb's Arena

OVR: 10

Has any player ever actually done it in real life?

Edit: Looks like I found my own answer here and it is no. Only 4 HR where ever even hit to Center Field but none have cleared that wall in dead centre.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Polo_Grounds

Last edited by bautistabomb; 03-24-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
I've had the classic stadiums for a few years now and have always tried to hit a home run to dead center where it's like 583 feet with a very tall wall.
you are 100 feet over, but still, it's next to impossible.

Last year I played exhibitions on rookie with the strike slider turned all the way up, and put all the best power hitters on the two teams.
I still couldn't hit one out to dead center.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bautistabomb
Has any player ever actually done it in real life?

Edit: Looks like I found my own answer here and it is no. Only 4 HR where ever even hit to Center Field but none have cleared that wall in dead centre.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Polo_Grounds
They said four people but only named three. My biggest surprise was Lou Brock.

Sent from that place where I'm at.

2020: 52-39
Old 03-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
Rookie

I actually had the computer CRUSH one just right of the cutout in CF in MLB 12. I was trying to hit one to dead center with Josh Hamilton for the longest time, so I was playing with the Rangers, and Hamilton ran the ball down. Anyway, on the animated toss back to the cutoff man, Hamilton finished his sprint to the ball, turned around, and threw the ball directly into the billboard on the 90 degree angle. Came right back at him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #16
Banned

heater41's Arena

OVR: 10

I've gone over the tall green wall just to the right of dead center a few times in MLB 13 with Giancarlo Stanton, 479-480 ft each time on all-star and normal wind. NEVER have I gone over the clubhouse in dead center which was 483' and 60' tall. There was a youtube video a while back from MLB 10 where someone did it but if you look at the score, 31-0, you could tell it really wasn't legit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »