Home

2012 Atlanta Braves thread

This is a discussion on 2012 Atlanta Braves thread within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #25
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: 2012 Atlanta Braves thread

No chance McCann is going to be moved to the OF. Impossible.

As for the lineup, I don't know.

I'd go something like:

1. Bourn
2. Chipper
3. McCann
4. Uggla
5. Freeman
6. Heyward
7. Prado
8. Pastornicky

At least I'd try it. Didn't we try Chipper in the 2-hole a bit? Could have sworn that worked decently. I want Prado to prove himself again along with Heyward before I move him back into the #2 slot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #26
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgainsey
McCann in the OF!? You've watched him play/run, right? Because that would make absolutely no sense what so ever.

The way I see it, McCann could fill three possible roles as an MLBer: Catcher, First base(might be an adventure tho..), and Designated Hitter.

And it's not like Betancourt is going to be nipping at McCann's heels anytime soon. He's athletic for the position, and he has hit for a decent average in A ball, but he's a long, long way from forcing the Braves to consider any type of move for McCann. He doesn't walk(at all), and it's not like he was ripping the cover off the ball in single A last year.. he finished the year with a .689 OPS.

He's really young though, so if he could continue to progress and step in as a replacement for David Ross two years from now, that would probably be exactly what the Braves will need from Betancourt. Though unless the Braves part ways with McCann after 2013, there's really no reason to expect anyone else at catcher for many years to come.
No one hits in the Carolina League. Those ballparks are brutal to hitters. Betancourt has the ability to hit for good power, and will be a plus defender. If he learns some patience, he'll be very, very good. He's only 20 right now, and his big league debut would probably not be until 2014 at the earliest, more likely 2015 or 16. McCann will be around 31, and still in his prime offensively, though his defense will likely be in decline. I'm not suggesting McCann would be a very good defensive OF'er, but a good defensive LF'er is severely overrated. The only positions you need good defense are SS, C, CF, and maybe RF. You can't put him at first, because you have Freddie Freeman there. McCann is a great hitter, for a catcher, but honestly, in 3 years, I fully expect Freddi to be a more porductive hitter than McCann - McCann's value comes from his position, and that disappears with a move to 1B. In LF, he can still be a productive hitter. Raul Ibanez plays LF still, and McCann is no worse of an athlete than him.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #27
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
No one hits in the Carolina League. Those ballparks are brutal to hitters. Betancourt has the ability to hit for good power, and will be a plus defender. If he learns some patience, he'll be very, very good. He's only 20 right now, and his big league debut would probably not be until 2014 at the earliest, more likely 2015 or 16. McCann will be around 31, and still in his prime offensively, though his defense will likely be in decline. I'm not suggesting McCann would be a very good defensive OF'er, but a good defensive LF'er is severely overrated. The only positions you need good defense are SS, C, CF, and maybe RF. You can't put him at first, because you have Freddie Freeman there. McCann is a great hitter, for a catcher, but honestly, in 3 years, I fully expect Freddi to be a more porductive hitter than McCann - McCann's value comes from his position, and that disappears with a move to 1B. In LF, he can still be a productive hitter. Raul Ibanez plays LF still, and McCann is no worse of an athlete than him.
McCann hit in the Carolina League. Just saying.. but that's beside the point.

I'm wasn't writing Betancourt off. He has potential, but unless the Braves fail to sign/extend McCann, there is almost no way he forces McCann out of the position.

You can compare McCann's athleticism to a 40 year old pinch hitter all you want, but he's not moving to the OF. He'd have all kinds of trouble pulling it off at age 27, let alone when he's in his 30's, and will have had all of that extra time catching on his knees.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #28
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgainsey
McCann hit in the Carolina League. Just saying.. but that's beside the point.

I'm wasn't writing Betancourt off. He has potential, but unless the Braves fail to sign/extend McCann, there is almost no way he forces McCann out of the position.

You can compare McCann's athleticism to a 40 year old pinch hitter all you want, but he's not moving to the OF. He'd have all kinds of trouble pulling it off at age 27, let alone when he's in his 30's, and will have had all of that extra time catching on his knees.
Raul Ibanez played OF (and was very, very bad at it) long before he was 40. And to call him a pinch hitter is just false - he had 535 at bats last year.

Listen, I'm not saying Bethancourt will be a better hitter than McCann. He very likely will not be. But he could very well be a better overall catcher. His defense is better, and he will be a pretty good hitter. Bethancourt didn't hit nearly as well as McCann at High-A, but McCann spent a full season there, and was a year older. This year will tell us a lot more about Bethancourt's offensive potential. Bethancourt's numbers at Rome were actually not too far off McCann's numbers at Rome as a 19 year-old.

If Bethancourt is ready in a couple years then, what do you do? You aren't going to move a plus-defender out of a key position for a guy that has never been anything more than average at the position. You can't put McCann at 1B, because you have Freeman there. The only remaining options are 3B and OF, and I doubt anyone is going to try him at 3B. There are plenty of guys who played LF without any kind of range before - Bonds at the end of his career, Ibanez, Manny Ramirez, Adam Dunn, Pat Burrell. I don't think McCann would be significantly worse than any of those guys. If Bethancourt turns into a guy that can hit 20 hr a year, and is 7 years younger, then the only options are move McCann to the OF or trade him.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #29
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
No chance McCann is going to be moved to the OF. Impossible.

As for the lineup, I don't know.

I'd go something like:

1. Bourn
2. Chipper
3. McCann
4. Uggla
5. Freeman
6. Heyward
7. Prado
8. Pastornicky

At least I'd try it. Didn't we try Chipper in the 2-hole a bit? Could have sworn that worked decently. I want Prado to prove himself again along with Heyward before I move him back into the #2 slot.
Chipper did hit 2nd for 30 ab's, but it didn't work all that well. Only a .273 OBP there. 2nd doesn't make sense for Chipper. He's a great off-speed hitter, and the #2 hitter will see a lot of fastballs.

I'd give Prado the benefit of the doubt and put him back in the 2-hole. I don't think he needs to "prove himself" again to get that opportunity. It's not the same situation as Heyward. Prado had 3 great years, then got a staph infection, which obviously affected him all year. He was red hot when he went on the DL, and when he came back, he started hot and fell off the map. I think having a whole offseason to get his legs back underneath him will be huge. Heyward followed one good year with one terrible year - there is no way to know what you'll get from him going into the year, so I think you have to start him out low in the order.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #30
All Star

jt45's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
Raul Ibanez played OF (and was very, very bad at it) long before he was 40. And to call him a pinch hitter is just false - he had 535 at bats last year.

Listen, I'm not saying Bethancourt will be a better hitter than McCann. He very likely will not be. But he could very well be a better overall catcher. His defense is better, and he will be a pretty good hitter. Bethancourt didn't hit nearly as well as McCann at High-A, but McCann spent a full season there, and was a year older. This year will tell us a lot more about Bethancourt's offensive potential. Bethancourt's numbers at Rome were actually not too far off McCann's numbers at Rome as a 19 year-old.

If Bethancourt is ready in a couple years then, what do you do? You aren't going to move a plus-defender out of a key position for a guy that has never been anything more than average at the position. You can't put McCann at 1B, because you have Freeman there. The only remaining options are 3B and OF, and I doubt anyone is going to try him at 3B. There are plenty of guys who played LF without any kind of range before - Bonds at the end of his career, Ibanez, Manny Ramirez, Adam Dunn, Pat Burrell. I don't think McCann would be significantly worse than any of those guys. If Bethancourt turns into a guy that can hit 20 hr a year, and is 7 years younger, then the only options are move McCann to the OF or trade him.
Trade him. Betancourt that it.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #31
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt45
Trade him. Betancourt that it.
Why would you trade Betancourt?

Apparently, he'll to be ready to replace, arguably, the best overall catcher in the game in a couple of years. At the very least, he'll be good enough to force McCann and his 30+ year old catcher's knees into LF...

All kidding aside, this is a pointless argument. We'll see where Betancourt is after another year or two in the minors, but until then, I'm going to assume Brian McCann is going to be the Braves' starting catcher for a while... Baring injury or free agency, of course.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #32
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

Atlanta's biggest acquisition of the offseason was officially revealed today:

Spoiler

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »