Home

"In the Pursuit Of Happiness" - Madden Attributes ratings that matter most

This is a discussion on "In the Pursuit Of Happiness" - Madden Attributes ratings that matter most within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65
"In the Pursuit Of Happiness" - Madden Attributes ratings that matter most

I've been redoing rosters and adjusting sliders for awhile and almost every game has a certain set of sliders and attributes that throughout their series have been identifiably tied to something that can fix the look or impression of the animations.

Madden has always alluded me however. No matter what I would do things would remain the same and look and feel weird. Weird as in "man I've tweaked every combination of attribute and adjusted every slider amongst each other and ...NOTHING!"

Well those days are over as I've finally found what I believe to be the end all to what makes Madden always look and feel the same.

The ability to see an open field.

Gameplay in Madden always feel bunched up and not wide open.
Yes the game of Football can be at a break neck speed and yes it can be tight cornered, but all in all the key element missing from the play on the feild is just that.

The ability to see.

Madden has a plethora of attribute rating. One we all dearly probably feel are more important than others. my own obsession with speed being one of them as I've heard the argument here now being about Madden.

To no avail I've adjusted Speed and acceleration. I've even messed around with agility and I've even taken a crack at stamina with fatigue.

In doing so i was trying to add the very exact thing I first mentioned that i felt was lacking in madden from year to year.

I realized that the speed and acceleration rating were actually ok and true to life. Albeit when you had a speed of 75 and a acceleration of 92 which made for some horrible looking jack knife running.

Agility didn't really do the trick either and my brief and sad foray into stamina and fatigue hoping somehow it'd rationalize the Ai was painfully wrong.

So, with no where left to go I turned myself to what i wanted to see less off o the field. something that no slider setting could do enough of and that was the pass rush and run defense. These two things just weren't right and undoubtedly were the cause of the crampedness of the game.(that a word? I mean some like it feels cramped lol GINGER ALE!)

The animations that played with the rush and pass defenses were just that rushed. causing things to look like time travel and warped realities.

Imagine if you will....

P1=Player 1 Linebacker
P2=Player 2 Cornerback
P3=Player 3 Receiver

- - - - = Spacing
>>>>> = tackling speed

This above chart will illustrate what I mean

P1--P3-------P2

yet P2 make the tackle on P3 FIRST.

See it was this that constantly made Madden frustrating to look at and try to feel as if it were the real NFL we got to play.

This type of arcade like mentality that the AI and Player AI would have against the pass and run.

Gamespeeds will not help this nor will speed thresholds, but you know what will?

After testing and testing. It's simple The Pursuit attribute. The pursuit attribute does not affect the gameplay you think it would. If you lower the attribute the player will still be sought after.

What a lower rating of the pursuit attribute does and does quite well is simply make anyone too far away not even try. And that is brilliant.

No more "hey I'm like 10 yards away from ya but i gotcha" type stuff.
It completely eliminates it. It also does not affect the pursuit of a player that IS close enough to tackle . it doesn't stop them they STILL try and tackle. it's just now guys from 10 yards out don't wanna tackle too

So there ya have it.

It's been tried and tested in Madden 11 and will be now fixed in Madden 12 by yours truly.

Here's to a base roster edit with all players at a pursuit rating of 50!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: "In the Pursuit Of Happiness" - Madden Attributes ratings that matter most

Link to gameplay footage or it didn't happen.....lol
Old 08-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNMHIII
Link to gameplay footage or it didn't happen.....lol
Was gonna say this. Don't have M11 anymore so interested to see these results play out. Does lower Pursuit to 50 make guys cross field not even try or does it have an effect on a guy taken horrid angles, say a Safety on the left hash 20 yards down field runs dead at a HB headed towards the right sideline and just runs right on by him on a bad angle?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
MVP

cedwebb's Arena

OVR: 11

Interesting theory man, would love to see or hear more about what this does to the gameplay. Will be looking for this when the game comes out.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
Rookie

Bull_Dozer's Arena

OVR: 5

Very interesting. Though I find it incredibly annoying that players have to figure out the details of Madden's rating system like this, rather than the instruction manual (LOL?) describing what every rating actually does.

Good stuff

Let us know if you find out any other cool rating infos.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #6
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Welcome to 3 years ago.......when others have already discovered it and stated it over and over again for the past 3 years now on OS.

What pursuit does is nothing new...
Old 08-18-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJOHNS18
Was gonna say this. Don't have M11 anymore so interested to see these results play out. Does lower Pursuit to 50 make guys cross field not even try or does it have an effect on a guy taken horrid angles, say a Safety on the left hash 20 yards down field runs dead at a HB headed towards the right sideline and just runs right on by him on a bad angle?
It's more on the horrid angles as you said. Guys across the feild within 'reasonable distance" do try as well.

And those NO MORE RUN BYS. Thats the beauty of it...

Will get gameplay vids up to show as some point.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:59 AM   #8
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Welcome to 3 years ago.......when others have already discovered it and stated it over and over again for the past 3 years now on OS.

What pursuit does is nothing new...
Not in the way that I'm stating. The way it makes animation logic look. Plus I've never seen guys do a pursuit edit. I've heard of a possible lowering of a rating for CERTAIN guys but not all defenders like it should have been be in order for animations on the field to look right. Literally pursuit does the one best thing at 50. STOP those run bys that have annoyed me for these past 3 years lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »