Home

Things the AI doesn't do

This is a discussion on Things the AI doesn't do within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-05-2021, 07:34 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Things the AI doesn't do

Quote:
Originally Posted by awffltony77
I'd like to compile a list of all the things that are available to Human users that the CPU just doesn't use.

*Line/LB Shifts
*Run/Pass commit
*Hot Routes
*Scenarios

Any more??

Sent from my REVVLRY using Operation Sports mobile app
In my NG Franchise, I get line/LB shifts a lot, esp with plays I call a lot.

After the latest Franchise Update, when I'm running the same Def play the AI QB will do audibles etc..., sometimes to the teams best WR/TE.
- because we don't know what the AI play call was, can't say one way or another if a single route is what was changed.

Until the play action mechanism is rebuilt, Run commit will be useless gameplay wise because play action is 1 of 2 counters to an over committed Run defense.
- I will say I get screened often by the AI
Old 04-06-2021, 11:30 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 0

The funny thing about your statement is that some years ago, I remember EA making a big deal about how the AI will play the same way their real life team plays. They used Chicago as an example... at that time, Chicago was a heavy running team, so that would be reflected in the game. Or that the AI will work to get the ball in its playmaker's hands.

I cannot remember which game it was. I think it was back in the PS3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
AI has been my biggest gripe with Madden. As a offline solo gamer, the CPU AI experience is vital. And as constructed for past couple generations, it just doesn't cut it. Everything feels so scripted, no variance(outside of playbooks and 'schemes'), and basic level football.

Outside of completely overhauling AI, I feel the best alternative could be a full tendency system like the old 2k VIP system. Having a Tendency system could at least make it possible to have variance on and off the field. I always felt like it was needed. On the field, ratings and abilities aren't enough to differentiate players. They have traits, but it is an abandoned feature. And off the field, they have to incorporate tendencies for coaches and add GMs(fictional, doesn't matter)
Old 04-06-2021, 01:12 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennylc321
The funny thing about your statement is that some years ago, I remember EA making a big deal about how the AI will play the same way their real life team plays. They used Chicago as an example... at that time, Chicago was a heavy running team, so that would be reflected in the game. Or that the AI will work to get the ball in its playmaker's hands.

I cannot remember which game it was. I think it was back in the PS3 years
Well every year, it feels like they claim AI will focus more on their stars.

I feel AI is more of a coding thing. A lot of issues, you can say should get fixed since we're on a new generation of consoles. But AI is more on the developers/coders. I still feel that APF 2K8 has one of the best on field AI in football games and that was in 2007.

I think Madden's issue is they're still building on that PS3/360 foundation. A lot of the core issues we have, have been around for the last 15 years. You're not going to fix core issues when you're building on bad old foundation. I know the 6th to 7th gen transition was a hard period for them. But this game needs a teardown and build up. Especially now in a new generation
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2021, 08:04 PM   #12
Pro

Devaster's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
Hurdling. The CPU never uses this move or even back jukes.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I'm almost certain I've seen the CPU hurdle me. At least with Zeke. Might have had to do with his X-Factor ability in Madden 20 though. CPU running is predictable and downright pathetic in most cases. They never do anything instinctive. And all their runners feel the same and only make a difference when they slip a few tackles and break out into the open.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:18 AM   #13
MVP

awffltony77's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Well every year, it feels like they claim AI will focus more on their stars.

I feel AI is more of a coding thing. A lot of issues, you can say should get fixed since we're on a new generation of consoles. But AI is more on the developers/coders. I still feel that APF 2K8 has one of the best on field AI in football games and that was in 2007.

I think Madden's issue is they're still building on that PS3/360 foundation. A lot of the core issues we have, have been around for the last 15 years. You're not going to fix core issues when you're building on bad old foundation. I know the 6th to 7th gen transition was a hard period for them. But this game needs a teardown and build up. Especially now in a new generation
Yeah dead on man. This is so beyond legacy coded it's just absurd.

I think that's why the beta plays really well then that first patch on release, and all the scotch tape comes off and it sucks again.

For years now they have been peerless in this crappy practice besides WWE 2K, and they actually had to skip a year to get back on track. Madden should do the same.

Put out madden '22, then skip '23 or sell it as a high end dlc for '22 and build a real football game. Because as hard as we try, we all know this isn't football.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:35 PM   #14
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

It's amazing how people say so many things about Madden now that flat out isn't true anymore. It can't be helped I guess, but it's unfortunate.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:38 PM   #15
MVP

awffltony77's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
It's amazing how people say so many things about Madden now that flat out isn't true anymore. It can't be helped I guess, but it's unfortunate.
Such as?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #16
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by awffltony77
Such as?

In this thread alone:

Hurdling
back jukes
Line/LB Shifts
Miss field goals under 51 yards
Go out of bounds on purpose to stop the clock

I have seen all of these things, a lot. Of course the AI does need a lot of work still, but they have improved it exponentially for this new gen. I would imagine that many people don't see any of these things because they haven't played the new game at all or enough, and just as likely don't notice it because they're really focusing on what is still subpar.

Some folks are probably also still just regurgitating the usual Madden talking points, just because.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »