Home

#H2P... PITT IS IT! - A Pitt Panthers Dynasty (NCAA 14)

This is a discussion on #H2P... PITT IS IT! - A Pitt Panthers Dynasty (NCAA 14) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-30-2024, 09:49 AM   #1265
MVP

moose141's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: #H2P... PITT IS IT! - A Pitt Panthers Dynasty (NCAA 14)

#PantherNation News and Notes
Report by Matt Schmidlin | October 25, 2022

Kirk Named NCAA, ACC Offensive Player of the Week

On the strength of his most impressive performance to date, Pitt QB CJ Kirk garnered national recognition this week, being named Offensive Player of the Week by both the ACC conference and the NCAA. 'Captain' Kirk finished with 353 yards passing, 53 yards rushing, and 6 total touchdowns (5 passing, 1 rushing) in the Panthers' 58-17 victory over Coastal Carolina.

The award is Kirk's first ever national player of the week honor; he did win ACC OPOTW following the Panthers' 38-37 home win over UCLA last season. While I would like to add the last time we won national OPOTW honors, I am still trying to update my offline records and currently have no idea when that last occurred in this file (I need to take lessons from B-Dawg!).

Heller Wins AFC Defensive Player of the Week

Former Pitt safety Avery Heller is making his mark at the next level, as the rookie was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in the Tennessee Titans' 28-26 victory over the Houston Texans. Heller racked up 11 tackles (9 solo) and made a critical interception in the win, helping the defending champion Titans seal the deal and improve to 2-5.

Recruiting Roundup: Panthers Win Heated Battle for Nation's #2 Tackle

Pitt secured their seventh commitment of the 2023 recruiting class this week, and while he may not be the biggest, he certainly is the biggest.

Ryan Gilbert, the nation's 2nd-ranked offensive tackle prospect, chose the Panthers despite significant national interest, with the two biggest competitors for his signature having been ACC rival Virginia Tech and regional rival Penn State.

The Rahway, NJ-native grades as a 4-star prospect, with his sheer size (6'7", 306 lbs) and mobility seen as incredible assets that already have scouts salivating over a future pro career. With the Panthers set to graduate three starting linemen, including RT Daniel Jenkins, Gilbert could be in the mix for playing time immediately after arriving on campus.

Take a look at the below table for a full overview of the Panthers current offer list for the Class of 2023:

Pittsburgh Penguins - Pittsburgh Panthers - Pittsburgh Steelers - Pittsburgh Pirates - West Ham United
University of Pittsburgh Ice Hockey

Last edited by moose141; 01-31-2024 at 12:09 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2024, 09:51 AM   #1266
MVP

moose141's Arena

#PantherNation Preview: Georgia Tech
Report by Matt Schmidlin | October 28, 2022

What: Georgia Tech (2-6) @ #10 Pitt (8-0)
Where: Heinz Field, Pittsburgh, PA
When: Saturday, October 29, 2022, 3:30 PM EST
Watch:
Listen: Pitt Panthers Radio Network

Game Line Pres. by FanDuel: Pitt (-22.5)
ESPN Prediction: Pitt

Last Meeting (2021): 37-17 Pitt
Last Meeting at Venue (2020): 31-24 Pitt
All Time Series: 12-4 Pitt
Dynasty Series: 6-0 Pitt

Broken Record: Next Year the Year for GT?

Heading into their matchup with Pitt last season, we surmised that Georgia Tech was likely a season away from competing in the ACC. Unfortunately for college football fans in Atlanta, the status quo hasn't changed this season. The Yellow Jackets again come into their meeting with the Panthers sporting a 2-6 record and a roster that seems to have some talented pieces that have just not reached the heights that fans dreaming of 2009 or 2014 (when they won the Coastal) have envisioned.

Scott Brown's arm talent hasn't translated to offensive output, with the redshirt junior throwing just 6 TDs against 9 picks. Phil Henry is a stud, somehow averaging over 105 YPG on the ground despite teams regularly stacking the box against him, but he will have to endure one last losing season before heading to the NFL this offseason. While the defense has some pieces (Brent Lawson is a star at corner), it remains to be seen if they will ever start challenging for any ACC extracurriculars.

Matchup to Watch: GT DE Antonneous Williamson vs. Pitt RT Daniel Jenkins

Pitt QB CJ Kirk has looked increasingly comfortable in the past two contests, with 9 TDs and, more importantly, no turnovers. For the Yellow Jackets to have any chance to pull an upset, they will need to make Kirk feel uncomfortable. That starts with Antonneous Williamson, Georgia Tech's leading pash rusher with 6.5 sacks already this season. Pitt senior RT Daniel Jenkins, in his first year starting for the Panthers, will have his hands full in trying to keep Williamson out of the Pitt backfield all afternoon.

What to Expect on the Field This Saturday

Pittsburgh Penguins - Pittsburgh Panthers - Pittsburgh Steelers - Pittsburgh Pirates - West Ham United
Old 02-05-2024, 12:00 PM   #1267
MVP

moose141's Arena

WIRE TO WIRE FINISH
Report by Matt Schmidlin | October 29, 2022

Three Thoughts from the Peanut Gallery

1. Murphy's Law

Freshman cornerback Jordan Murphy Jr. hasn't felt any pressure to be a star from day one. With a trio of third year corners ahead of him on the depth chart, the first year phenom has been able to transition into the defense as the dime corner, playing when Pitt has six defensive backs on the field. With that caveat, Murphy looks ready for as much playing time as the Panthers can possibly give him. The freshman did a terrific job jumping in front of a pass for his first career interception on Saturday, lulling Tech QB Scott Brown into a false sense of security before knifing in front of the open receiver and snagging the football, nearly breaking it for a pick six before being hauled down by a nearby lineman. Then, on one later possession, Murphy showed all the tricks in his bag, joining with fellow freshman DB Matt Wright to swat away a pass before following it up with a sack on a corner blitz. Murphy was sensational and looks to be a player that Pitt can really count on as the season gets deeper.

2. What in the World Happened There?

In the second quarter, Pitt QB CJ Kirk lofted a hopeful pass for the corner of the endzone, looking to find the hands of TE Christian Klumpp. The pass was pulled away by Tech's Phillip Gipson, with the defender's acrobatic effort landing him near the sideline. From all views, Gipson looked to have landed with his feet touching sideline, though if he managed to get a foot inbounds he would have secured a takeaway and touchback for the Georgia Tech defense. However, if the referee got confused with his terminology we'll never know, but somehow the Yellow Jackets were awarded with a 'touchdown' rather than a 'touchback'. Thankfully, the outcome of this contest was never in doubt for the Panthers, but an inquiry will certainly be placed to the league offices as to the credibility of the referee for any contests moving forward (match fixing anyone?).

3. Williamson Has His Way

In the leadup to this contest, the matchup to watch was pointed out to be the battle on the right side of Pitt's offensive line. In what turned out to be an astute observation, Georgia Tech DE Antonneous Williamson turned out to be a serious problem, wreaking havoc on Pitt QB CJ Kirk and turnstiling Panther RT Daniel Jenkins again and again. Williamson finished with a pair of sacks and was noticeable all afternoon, showcasing Pitt's need offensively to make adjustments when facing off with a star defender in the trenches.

Photo Gallery

Old 02-06-2024, 11:14 AM   #1268
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

OVR: 10

The referee and an ACC official had some money riding on this game. I've never seen a glitch like that, but if you play this game long enough, you'll see crazy things.

What a way to be robbed of the deserving shut out.
Old 02-06-2024, 04:31 PM   #1269
MVP

moose141's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontoddwhitt
The referee and an ACC official had some money riding on this game. I've never seen a glitch like that, but if you play this game long enough, you'll see crazy things.

What a way to be robbed of the deserving shut out.
No doubt, haha, something shady going on for sure. Must've had +3000 on an anytime pick-6!

It's a shame for sure, I don't think I've actually had a shutout *that I recall* in this dynasty, so would've been fun to finally get one on the board.

Old 02-06-2024, 04:31 PM   #1270
MVP

moose141's Arena

Bump to the next page (10 posts per page).

Old 02-06-2024, 04:33 PM   #1271
MVP

moose141's Arena

Around the NCAA: Week 10
Report by Matt Schmidlin | October 31, 2022

Bears Burst Heels' Bubble

Behind the strength of a 252 yard, 4 TD passing performance from Quentin Jackson, #18 Baylor came from behind to knock off #25 North Carolina, 38-35, in a rare late season marquee non-conference matchup.

Williams Works Magic, Bearcats Keep Rolling

Freshman Joey Williams impressed in relief of injured starter Acey Reese, throwing for 207 yards while leading the Bearcats in rushing with 66 yards and a score as #3 Cincinnati throttled Memphis, 59-20, to improve to 7-0. Reese passed for a pair of scores before exiting with an injury; he is day-to-day but is expected to be fine for the Bearcats' next matchup. Of more concern is starting tailback Andre Cantrell, who left the contest after rushing for two scores on just five carries. Cantrell's injury is said to be month-to-month and is significant; it is unknown when he may be back in the lineup.

Mustangs Muster Big XII Shakeup

SMU and starting QB Antonio Riley (a transfer formerly at Alabama), newcomers to the Big XII, shook up the standings with a 29-28 stunner over #12 Oklahoma State, handing the Cowboys their second loss. Riley tossed a pair of TDs in the final frame as SMU scored 13 unanswered points to knock off the Pokes.

Notable Matchups in Week Eleven

In what is one of the most anticipated regular season matchups in years, #2 LSU (8-0) heads to Tuscaloosa to take on #1 Alabama (8-0). Both teams have been dominant this season, each featuring top-7 scoring offenses, top-11 total defenses, and turnover differentials that are +8 or better. LSU will rely on a sensational passing attack led by junior QB Kauanoe Kelekolio and junior WR Jakobe Sutton, while Alabama will right their freight train HB Dareion Williams Jr. and slasher change of pace HB Tyrone Woods to try and keep the explosive LSU attack off the field in what will be a titantic clash.

#23 Miami (6-2) @ Virginia Tech (6-3)
Houston (5-3) @ #17 Baylor (7-1)
#22 Nebraska (8-1) @ #18 Michigan (7-2)
#19 Cal (7-2) @ #16 Iowa State (6-2)
Auburn (6-4) @ #21 Kansas State (6-2)
#2 LSU (8-0) @ #1 Alabama (8-0) -- College Gameday Game of the Week

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2024, 04:34 PM   #1272
MVP

moose141's Arena

#PantherNation News and Notes
Report by Matt Schmidlin | November 2, 2022

Murphy Jr. Named ACC Defensive Player of the Week

Pitt freshman Jordan Murphy Jr. received recognition for his performance in the team's 42-7 win over Georgia Tech, earning ACC conference defensive player of the week honors. The dime corner tallied an interception and a sack to go along with 4 total tackles in the Panther victory. The honor is the fourth time this season that a Pitt defender has earned player of the week, following Jalen Hills, Malachi Bordeaux, and Damian Vector earlier in the campaign.

Panthers Up to #5 in Polls, Trail Two Local Rivals

After their latest victory pushed them to 9-0, the Panthers jumped five spots in the latest Coaches Poll, reaching #5 in the nation. Pitt hasn't been ranked this high nationally since the conclusion of the 2020 campaign, when the Panthers lost to Alabama in the CFP National Championship game. Their highest ranking in the entirety of the 2021 season was achieved prior to losing to Virginia Tech, when Pitt was slotted in the #6 spot.

If the Panthers want to move up in the polls, they will need to jump a couple of local rivals, as unbeaten Cincinnati (7-0) sits at #3, while Penn State (7-1) holds the #4 position and the inside track towards the Big Ten conference championship game. SEC rivals Alabama and LSU hold the top two spots, but one will likely fall as the two schools face off in Tuscaloosa this weekend.

Recruiting Roundup: Panthers Add More Offensive Line, Corner Depth

After a tense recruiting battle that saw both Pennsylvania powers making significant pitches, Pitt finally got their man. The Panthers secured the commitment of JuCo C Joe Harris (#46 C, 6'3", 292 lbs), with the Phoenixville, PA-native selecting the Panthers over in-state rival Penn State. Over his stellar season at Lackawanna Junior College, Harris has jumped from a 2-star to 3-star recruit, and will come to the Panthers with two years of remaining eligibility. He should be in the mix along with current backup Trey Brown to start immediately following the graduation of starting C Luke Davis.

The Panthers also snagged a commitment from 3-star CB Jeff Houston (#61 CB, 5'10" 165 lbs), with the Millville, NJ-native selecting the Panthers over interest from both Navy and his home-state school Rutgers. Houston has excellent speed and agility, but struggles making tackles in the open field. His man coverage is solid, and should be able to grow with time to develop behind the Panthers' current stable of star cornerbacks.

Pitt did miss out on one interested target, with 3-star Ohio-native Nick McCoy (#173 WR) choosing Miami (Ohio) over the Panthers. A solid senior season has seen McCoy's recruit grade raise by 4 points (63 -> 67), but the Panthers likely were never going to be able to offer anything greater than preferred walk-on status.

Recruiting Roundup: High Profile Safety Decommits, Re-Opens Recruitment

Pitt is rumored to be monitoring the situation surrounding ESPN300 SS prospect Zach Triplett (#5 SS, 6'2", 200 lbs). The New Haven, CT-native has shot up recruiting boards this season, and after most recruiting services changed his grade from a 3-star to 4-star, he decided to decommit from Boston College and reopen his recruitment.

The Panthers are said to be among Triplett's preferred destinations, along with interest from Tennessee and Penn State, two schools the Panthers have faced off against multiple times in recent years. He grades as an all-rounder with decent speed and excellent strength, profiling as an in-the-box safety similar to former Panther Avery Heller. With both starting safeties set to graduate this year, the Panthers would love to add more depth in the defensive backfield, adding to prior commitments of Eddie Williams and Danny Leonard.

Take a look at the below table for a full overview of the Panthers current offer list for the Class of 2023:

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »