Home

#H2P... PITT IS IT! - A Pitt Panthers Dynasty (NCAA 14)

This is a discussion on #H2P... PITT IS IT! - A Pitt Panthers Dynasty (NCAA 14) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-02-2020, 05:39 PM   #905
MVP

moose141's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: #H2P... PITT IS IT! - A Pitt Panthers Dynasty (NCAA 14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its2Eazy17
Gotta say you've PSP stepped your game up with this schedule graphic. Legit looks great! Opening with Tennessee, how were they last year, nothing I'm sure Pitt can't handle regardless!
Thanks! Appreciate the compliments. Tennessee is one of those teams that always seems to have a rating of mid to high 90s but doesn't seem to play up to that rating a lot of the time. They did make the SEC championship game I think once (maybe twice) a few seasons back, but otherwise haven't made much noise. They were 7-6 last season but definitely have a team to put a good season together, and will be especially tough on us given the fact that we have to take them on in a hostile environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless Whisper
Really like that schedule! Non-conference has plenty of interesting matchups, especially Tennessee and UCLA, and I think that Philly/Pittsburgh tilt with Temple is much more intriguing than playing Western Michigan. Without knowing ratings and just guessing how teams will be in the ACC, I think you made it out pretty well with the conference slate, and it doesn't look like you have too many difficult matchups there - which is good for a team breaking in a lot of new players!
Totally agreed on the Temple game, it just seemed like a lot more fun to play. That'll be where I start deviating from the real Pitt schedule in that I'll keep the Power 5 opponents that they have scheduled like Tennessee, WVU, Notre Dame, etc. but for the usual G5 game and FCS game they play I will definitely try and get some more interesting opponents on the schedule, usually with one G5 matchup that should be challenging and then probably a third P5 home and home opponent like we've done with the likes of UCLA and Maryland. Gives some more fun opponents to play and some realism while keeping the schedule fairly tough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro11
Echoing everyone else here, that schedule graphic looks legit! Like I could see that being tweeted out by the actual Pitt program. Looking forward to this season! #UnfinishedBusiness
Thanks man! I appreciate the kudos, I love seeing the creativity from everyone else as well so I've been trying to do the same on my end, even if I can't always apply it super well, haha. I did actually take the inspiration for this graphic from one that Pitt released this year as well, so I'm just glad that I was able to implement it well since it has been so well received. I like the hashtag! If we get off to a good start this season then that may be one that we will have to utilize as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderAid89
Great stuff as always Moose! I agree with what all the others have been saying that it looks like your graphic game has been upgraded. Love that schedule my man, love the out of conference slate.
Thanks Raider, means a lot coming from yourself! I'll never be able to replicate the graphics that you provide but I do like to have something good for everyone to look at... not only because it's nice but I do enjoy getting to add into the creative side of the dynasty as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by young22
Schedule graphic looks great! Looking forward to the season kicking off!
Thanks Young! Yeah, I'm getting excited to get to see the squad in action as well. A few more preview articles I want to throw out for the team and NCAA previews and then we should be ready to get Season 6 going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyKing80
Just when I thought I was improving on my own visuals, Moose goes and ups the game. Damn!

Looks good, Moose. Which team on that schedule worries you the most right now?
Thanks TK, appreciate the compliments! I think as far as a team that is definitely going to be the most talented, then Tennessee and UCLA are for sure the expected culprits there. UCLA always seems to have a really good team, and I know they snagged one of my created recruits so they should have like a 96 rated sophomore MLB who will be a monster. A lesser thought of team that definitely worries me though has to be UNC. They always seem to have a solid squad, plus I gave them a really good transfer QB, and they took us to the wire last year as well and always seem to give us a tough matchup. Having them away from home will definitely up the challenge as well!

I really appreciate all of the comments, everyone! Thanks as always for taking the time to help make this dynasty so enjoyable for me (and hopefully you guys as well).

Pittsburgh Penguins - Pittsburgh Panthers - Pittsburgh Steelers - Pittsburgh Pirates - West Ham United
University of Pittsburgh Ice Hockey

Last edited by moose141; 09-02-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #906
MVP

moose141's Arena

Pittsburgh Penguins - Pittsburgh Panthers - Pittsburgh Steelers - Pittsburgh Pirates - West Ham United

Last edited by moose141; 09-02-2020 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #907
MVP

moose141's Arena

Pitt Panthers 2021 Season Preview
Report by Matt Schmidlin | August 27, 2021

Under Pat Narduzzi, the Pitt Panthers continue to exceed expectations on the national scale. The Panthers played for a national championship last season and have won the last three ACC titles, cementing themselves firmly among the nation's best for the first period since the early 1980s. However, after graduating their senior signal caller and a number of defenders, are these Panthers finally due for a regression back to the mean?

With Narduzzi's fierce work on the recruiting trail, the cupboards never seem to be bare for the Panthers, even after a graduation exodus. Pitt's composite average rating (via PFF grades) shows the Panthers improving by nearly a point and a half, up to 87.7 from 86.4. The big jump comes by virtue of the return of 8 starters offensively, contributing to a stellar 89.4 grade on that side of the ball, a massive year over year jump from 86.9 in 2020 and 83.6 in 2019. Defensively, the Panthers should field another nationally ranked unit, as their expected starters combine for an average rating of 86, nearly equal to last year's squad (85.9).

Acey Reese's baptism by fire against Alabama in the national championship game showcased the positives and negatives of fielding a talented but inexperienced quarterback. Reese showed flashes of talent and athleticism while simultaneously displaying some questionable decision making throughout his play, putting a big question mark on his status in the Pitt offense. Reese will get the keys to the offense to start, but will be pushed by another big talent in true freshman CJ Kirk.

Thankfully for whoever the Panthers play at QB, they will be surrounded by eight returning starters on the rest of the offense. The running game, which has not reached the heights of the 2018 tandem of Darrin Hall and Qadree Ollison, will be led by a pair of talented but inconsistent seniors in CJ London and Todd Sibley Jr. London will likely get first crack at earning the lion's share of the carries, but the big question is: how much of an impact will freshman Da'vion Reynolds make? The New Jersey Gatorade Player of the Year comes in with much fanfare and provides Pitt with an explosiveness that neither London or Sibley has shown on a consistent basis.

At wideout, Jay Keyes returns for his junior year after winning the Biletnikoff award following a stellar 102 catch season with over 20 touchdowns. Seniors Benjamin Ogden and Paul Lees look set to continue to be key contributors, while rising sophomore KJ Welsh could be set to break out as well. Senior tight ends Antonio Greer and Caleb Cannon have both also proven to be reliable pass catchers, with Cannon also seeing time split out wide in certain formations. One player to watch will be redshirt sophomore Keith Onyango, whose speed and size could make him a true deep threat that the Panthers still have been lacking for a few seasons.

Senior center Jon Cooper will anchor the offensive line for a third straight season, joined by a pair of returning starters in RG Ryan Henry and RT Michael Collins. Collins will likely be a flashpoint for the line, as he has been much maligned for giving up a high quantity of sacks despite solid performance grades. Former JuCo senior Antonio Ryan should see most of the playing time at LT, while junior center Luke Davis will likely shift over to LG and start as he is versatile and too technically talented to keep out of the starting lineup.

After leading the nation in sacks for the past three seasons, the Panthers lost their most potent pass rushers to graduation, including career national sack leader Shaun Wolfgang. Rising junior Malachi Bordeaux has shifted inside to DT to try and offset the loss of stud stopper Darren Toth, and will partner with returning starter Ryan Jacobs. Senior Ronnie Baker will be expected to take up Wolfgang's mantle as the team's premier edge rusher, while a combination of unproven youngsters led by Jalen Hills and Mac McAleavey will see time opposite Baker.

Despite the new contributors, the line is still expected to be a strength for the Panthers. The biggest area of concern is the linebacking corps, where the entire trio will be seeing their first full time action as starters. Calvin Carlson shifted back to middle linebacker from an outside role and is highly regarded, while Quel Hampshire, a converted safety, is lightning quick and could provide the defense with the ability to have many varied looks. A'Darrion Mitchell is likely the most talented of the three expected starters and came to Pitt with the strongest pedigree, but has largely underwhelmed in his first two years.

What was essentially the nation's youngest secondary last year is now a year older, and returns almost every key contributor from a surprisingly stalwart unit. The biggest change will be slot star Scott Whaley's move to outside corner after an impactful freshman season, where he will now start opposite sophomore Damian Vector, who led the Panthers in interceptions last season. Avery Heller and Jakob Lochlan were incredible ball hawks last season at safety and combine as a safety duo that could rival any in the NCAA. The secondary should continue to excel in Narduzzi's preferred man coverage look.

Johnny Midey knows how to kick a ball, as the freshman will play soccer for the Panthers in addition to his kicking duties. No one questions his kicking abilities, but he will need to show the poise to take over from Jay Bump. Eric Fox may not be an All-American, but he is an above average punter who does his job well. Things improved in the return game, but the Panthers have not had an explosive star returning kicks since Quadree Henderson. True freshman Da'vion Reynolds will get the chance to take over the game from the opening kick, with many pegging him as a possible Freshman All-American at returner.

2020 Schedule Overview
Strength - B-

For this Panther squad, they will waste no time in proving their mettle, as they head into one of the most hostile environments in college football to open the season, taking on Tennessee on Rocky Top at Neyland Stadium. The Volunteers will look to use the matchup as a springboard to a resurgent season for their talented but underachieving squad. Pitt will return home the next week to take on Temple in an in-state affair that revives an old Big East clash, and then, interestingly, will continue alternating home and away matchups throughout the remainder of the schedule.

Before hosting UCLA in a marquee national matchup on October 9th, the Panthers will have to navigate some tough contests, namely a battle with Syracuse at Heinz Field. Pitt hasn't taken on the Orange since 2015, and Cornell Washington leads what is expected to be an explosive offensive attack into Pittsburgh looking to upset the Panthers. The Syracuse matchup is sandwiched between tough road matchups with an improving Maryland squad with a pair of solid transfers at QB and HB and a battle with NC State, who is still looking for revenge following their 2018 ACC title loss to the Panthers.

Should the Panthers stare down the Bruins, they will likely be favored the rest of the way against their ACC Coastal brethren as they look to earn a 4th straight Coastal title and berth in the ACC title game yet again. The Panthers will have one matchup on Thursday night football in conference play, heading to Bobby Dodd Staidum in Atlanta to face off with Georgia Tech in a game set to be televised on ESPN.

Sound off: Can Pitt add another ACC title to the trophy cabinet? Can Acey Reese be the heir apparent to Kenny Pickett at QB? Who will emerge as a key contributor for the Panthers this year that may be overlooked?

Last edited by moose141; 09-03-2020 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:22 PM   #908
MVP

young22's Arena

OVR: 0

I think this season hinges on Reese. Team still looks really strong, a lot of weapons and good protection for him so it's gonna come down to him. Really excited about Reynolds, he's a beast and I hope he can see a good amount of reps this year. Keyes, Lees, and Ogden may be the nation's best WR trio, didn't even realize Lees had that much speed haha, he really is the Jersey Jet.

Defense looks good, I'm hyped to see how Quel does at backer with that 93 speed (is he playing in the nickel?) Bordeaux at DT is gonna be interesting, not the strongest at that position but he's got that edge rusher quickness, I feel like he'll either kill it or totally flop. Corner is a question mark, not super strong, there's no true #1 shutdown guy there. Safeties are good though, and how about that freshman kicker at an 85! Hopefully he can be Jay Bump 2.0, minus the unfortunate miss in the natty.

Playing a lot of teams who are gonna be out for blood after disappointing 2019 campaigns. UCLA game will show what this team's level is. Good luck!
Old 09-02-2020, 07:32 PM   #909
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

With Kirk's speed is he going to take over Wildcat duties from Keyes or will we still see Jake in the backfield at times. With the talent you have at WR, I would almost think Keyes could see more action at QB if you could get around his lower awareness.

Glad to see CJ get his chance at the #1 job, but I am sure it will be tough to keep Reynolds off the field.

Looking forward to the season start.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:56 AM   #910
MVP

Careless Whisper's Arena

Really like how that season/team preview is laid out, looks very clean. Also like my boy Jay Keyes making the cover of Athlon Sports' preview!

Agree with young that this season's success or failures hinges with Reese. He has really solid ratings and provides new elements to the offense than Pickett didn't have, but it's really hard to replace someone so steady and reliable at the quarterback position. If he goes, then the offense will be explosive because his offensive line is solid, the receiver group is great, and I really think Reynolds will be your starting back by midseason.

Defense might take a slight hit, but there are still some things to like from them. Having Quel at one of the OLB spots with his 93 speed is going to be immense, and I think Boudreaux's speed and strength combo will offset the size he's giving up at DT. Corners will have to step up I feel, as all four on the two-deep are solid but there's no one spectacular yet.

Reynolds on returns is going to be fun. And I'm glad you won't have the walk-on kicker than many Power 5 schools in NCAA 14 end up with and will be replace Bump with someone competent.

10-2, 7-1 sounds about right for a projection. Tennessee on the road will be a nice opener to see where the team is at and how it's trending.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:19 AM   #911
Rookie

That sports cover looks sick!!
I think i am most excited to see the corners play this year, I'm sure Whaley and Vector are going to be ripping it up on the field. On offense though, Paul Lees is ready to start hot and stay hot, I can feel it!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #912
MVP

moose141's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by young22
I think this season hinges on Reese. Team still looks really strong, a lot of weapons and good protection for him so it's gonna come down to him. Really excited about Reynolds, he's a beast and I hope he can see a good amount of reps this year. Keyes, Lees, and Ogden may be the nation's best WR trio, didn't even realize Lees had that much speed haha, he really is the Jersey Jet.

Defense looks good, I'm hyped to see how Quel does at backer with that 93 speed (is he playing in the nickel?) Bordeaux at DT is gonna be interesting, not the strongest at that position but he's got that edge rusher quickness, I feel like he'll either kill it or totally flop. Corner is a question mark, not super strong, there's no true #1 shutdown guy there. Safeties are good though, and how about that freshman kicker at an 85! Hopefully he can be Jay Bump 2.0, minus the unfortunate miss in the natty.

Playing a lot of teams who are gonna be out for blood after disappointing 2019 campaigns. UCLA game will show what this team's level is. Good luck!
Definitely QB play is going to be more important than ever this year for sure! We know that we have the weapons in the skill positions and a fairly solid line, so just any level of competent play from our QB and we should be in good shape, you're right. Definitely going to get Reynolds the ball early and often, though London will feature a lot as well as he was really solid for us in the second half of last season and deserves a good chunk of work as well. I'm actually really excited offensively about Ogden, I was checking out his stats and he has 89 catching, 99 spectacular catch, 96 catch in traffic, and 99 route running, plus 94 speed and he's 6'5"! The guy should be a monster, but just hasn't had that breakout season yet for whatever reason. I'm hoping that this year finally is that breakthrough!

Quel will definitely be playing the nickel, plus I may sub him into the dime package as the dime corner just because he has the speed to keep up. He will be in our Dollar set as a safety as well, so he's going to be all over the field. He's always been a better tackler than a true cover guy, so I think the move to LB will suit him really well! I think Bordeaux could end up being an Aaron Donald type player in the middle, a little undersized compared to your traditional DT but with the skill set to be able to quickly blow past the line and get into the backfield to make some plays. (At least that's what I'm hoping for, haha, he's been very good at that in practice mode so far.)

Appreciate all the thoughts! I'm excited to get the season going. Wanting to do a couple of mini preview articles for the nation this weekend while I'm away at my camp, and then hopefully get the season going next week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce2223
With Kirk's speed is he going to take over Wildcat duties from Keyes or will we still see Jake in the backfield at times. With the talent you have at WR, I would almost think Keyes could see more action at QB if you could get around his lower awareness.

Glad to see CJ get his chance at the #1 job, but I am sure it will be tough to keep Reynolds off the field.

Looking forward to the season start.
Thanks Deuce! So I have I think we have 4 different Wildcat packages between the ones actually called Wildcat plus that Goalline Heavy look that Keyes ran for a bunch of touchdowns from last season. As of right now Keyes is in a pair of them and Kirk is in a pair of them, so that is where I see him featuring right now. Maybe he could get some time just from QB as well, but I think deploying both of them in the different Wildcat sets is a good look to start out with. Keyes has just been too good at WR to have him play any significant quantity of snaps at QB, but he is technically our #3 QB going into the season so if we had some injuries then he could definitely get some snaps!

I have plans to definitely utilize Reynolds while still keeping CJ as the feature back, because he definitely earned it with his play down the stretch last season. I think he had 6 100 yard games in the final 8 games or something like that, so he'll be our main back, but I've already gone through the formation subs and gotten Reynolds into a few looks, and may even try splitting him out wide once or twice. Sibley will be the one ending up as the odd man out, as I think I have him formation subbed just into the goalline package and then in maybe one other formation, so he may not see a ton of action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless Whisper
Really like how that season/team preview is laid out, looks very clean. Also like my boy Jay Keyes making the cover of Athlon Sports' preview!

Agree with young that this season's success or failures hinges with Reese. He has really solid ratings and provides new elements to the offense than Pickett didn't have, but it's really hard to replace someone so steady and reliable at the quarterback position. If he goes, then the offense will be explosive because his offensive line is solid, the receiver group is great, and I really think Reynolds will be your starting back by midseason.

Defense might take a slight hit, but there are still some things to like from them. Having Quel at one of the OLB spots with his 93 speed is going to be immense, and I think Boudreaux's speed and strength combo will offset the size he's giving up at DT. Corners will have to step up I feel, as all four on the two-deep are solid but there's no one spectacular yet.

Reynolds on returns is going to be fun. And I'm glad you won't have the walk-on kicker than many Power 5 schools in NCAA 14 end up with and will be replace Bump with someone competent.

10-2, 7-1 sounds about right for a projection. Tennessee on the road will be a nice opener to see where the team is at and how it's trending.
Glad you appreciated the Athlon cover! I've really enjoyed spicing up the visuals this offseason with the schedule and the cover and everything; I'm trying to think up how to keep things fresh for the season as well, though I do like the graphics/tables I currently use for the game recaps so I may leave those as is for now!

If Reynolds can earn the starter's job, then he will be coming in and making some explosive plays, so I would not be against that! You're definitely right that we'll go as far as the QB play can take us, so I don't think we will hesitate to have a quick hook if things aren't going as planned!

Like I said above to Young, I agree that Quel and Bordeaux are kind of the X-factors on the defense this year, as their position changes help shore up a couple of positions ratings-wise, but then they will need to actually perform on the field to justify the changes! Agreed on the corners, we were solid against the pass last season, but it helped that one of our corners was a 94-rated Artis-Scott to lock down one side of the field. With him gone, offenses will likely be wide open to target the whole field rather than focusing just on one side or the other based on the personnel.

Tennessee will definitely be a tough test for us to be thrown into to start the year, but it should be an exciting atmosphere to play in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its2Eazy17
That sports cover looks sick!!
I think i am most excited to see the corners play this year, I'm sure Whaley and Vector are going to be ripping it up on the field. On offense though, Paul Lees is ready to start hot and stay hot, I can feel it!
Appreciate the kudos on the graphic! Always love reading Athlon's NCAA preview each year, so I thought it would be fun to get our star on the cover for the world to see!

I like your thoughts for the players to watch for sure. This set of corners is much more reminiscent of our squad from like 2016/17 with no real stopper (yet), but hopefully they can play better as a unit because those squads got torched through the air!

Appreciate all of the comments guys! Going to try to put together the last couple preseason updates this weekend so that we can get to the Tennessee game next week!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »