Home

ESPN Cleaning House

This is a discussion on ESPN Cleaning House within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-26-2017, 03:50 PM   #9
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: ESPN Cleaning House

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
Well ESPN is learning what years of ****ty programming does. They will blame it on cord cutters while they ignore the actual problem.
Exactly! I saw this quote in an article...

Quote:
To explain the layoffs, ESPN also published a short memo titled “ESPN’s content evolution strategy,” written by six of Skipper’s top deputies. Using more buzzwords and saying even less, it explains that fewer people are watching ESPN’s TV shows, and so ESPN needs to change their TV shows to attract those fans, along with making sure there is plenty of interesting video online for them.
No ****! Keep the useful personalities, and drop the useless ones.

I haven't heard anything on Barry Melrose yet, but seriously... you have one guy commanding NHL business. If you let him go, you might as well never mention NHL again on that channel.

I swear there was a time when SportsNation aired the same "Top 50 blunders" episode or whatever over and over. I mean the show isn't great, but it's also just repetitive.

Then there is Jalen & Jacoby (who??), that Definitely Maybe show with Le Batard & son, and just a lot of crap! As we all know, SportsCenter took the biggest hit of all.

What I really don't like is how they choose to ignore the MLB in every facet except when they air a SNB game, then just toss it off to the wayside again afterward. The MLB Network gets it. The NFL Network definitely gets it. The NBA Network probably gets it (I don't watch it). The NHL Network has to get it more than ESPN does so there is an automatic shift. The Golf Channel brings the analysis the ESPN also won't dare to do. The only people they can grab are NCAA folks, riding LeBron's jock a lot, programs that won't be touched elsewhere like OTL, and actual games themselves.

Hopefully this will be a step in the right direction, but it's sad to see people lose jobs. The good news is hopefully they just find better outlets anyway.

Like SPTO said, I definitely hope they keep PTI. I don't think First Take was a terrible show, but if I already have PTI then I don't need a copycat of it. I liked it better actually when Bayless was on it, actually... got the two to literally butt heads at each other and it was a nice brouhaha. Let's just get things back on track is all so it's no longer "cool to hate ESPN" like it has been the past decade-plus.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 04-26-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Stephen A Smith gets ratings though...he's annoying (I agree), but not surprised to see him stay....
Realistically i'm not surprised either but you have to make sacrifices for long term success. If you keep the obnoxious but popular personalities to the detriment of what their mission statement should be than you're only prolonging the very problems you're facing as a network.

They NEED to make painful decisions in order to fully reorganize.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 04-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #11
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Much like society, there's no coming back from what ESPN has become. It will just keep going until it's gone.

The two go hand in hand, really.

Watch league-specific networks. How long have I been saying this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #12
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

This is what they get for going full SJW.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #13
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

The decline of ESPN started well before that, unfortunately.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #14
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Much like society, there's no coming back from what ESPN has become. It will just keep going until it's gone.

The two go hand in hand, really.

Watch league-specific networks. How long have I been saying this?
Yeah, if you want specific analysis you watch the league networks...ESPN gets you talking heads.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #15
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
Yeah, if you want specific analysis you watch the league networks...ESPN gets you talking heads.
The only drawback when it comes to the league networks is that they're owned in large part by those leagues and thus you sometimes get "the party line" rather than the hardcore truth when something major happens that they don't like.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealyMonster
This is what they get for going full SJW.
As look,some idiot right winger is mad because some in ESPN take a position he isn't cool with. How dare they have an opinion about an 12 year old kid being shot by the cops or women being mistreated.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »