Home

Old 07-26-2016, 09:06 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: Cord cutting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Depends on what you are looking for. Amazon Fire Stick is $40. They all offer the same damn channels and apps. Why pay close to $80 for Roku or over $100 for Apple TV or Nvidia Shield. Shield is cool if you looking to play your PC games on a big screen if the PC is in a different room.

For my office, Amazon Fire Stick does just fine since my gaming PC is in the same room. If I wanted to hook it up to the large flat screen, I could just buy a 15 foot HDMI cord for $8.

really good comparison article. you really can't go wrong with a Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, Nvidia Shield, Apple TV or Google Chromecast. Just comes down to what you want to spend and what features interest you more.
Got ya. Is there remotes for amazon stick or only controlled from smart phone?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2016, 09:25 PM   #10
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandwin
Got ya. Is there remotes for amazon stick or only controlled from smart phone?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Amazon fire stick have a small basic remote that comes with it or you could use your smart phone if you want.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

If I didn't care for live sports I would have cut the cord years ago.
Still haven't found a suitable alternative if I want HD sports though. So I'm stuck with Bell for the moment.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #12
I smell sulfur...

Kodii Rockets's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
If I didn't care for live sports I would have cut the cord years ago.
Still haven't found a suitable alternative if I want HD sports though. So I'm stuck with Bell for the moment.
That's exactly where myself, and I believe a lot of people are at.

My case especially, since I live out of my team's market, I know there are reasonable solutions to stream these games, but the quality is just not where I need it to be right now.

Follow this link to view 10 Yard Fight on Operation Sports >>10YF on OS
Old 07-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodii Rockets
That's exactly where myself, and I believe a lot of people are at.

My case especially, since I live out of my team's market, I know there are reasonable solutions to stream these games, but the quality is just not where I need it to be right now.
I'm with you.
I'm a huge HD snob so I can't be bothered to watch anything in Standard Def, haha.
I see that Yahoo Sports is starting to stream MLB and NHL games.
If that trend continues, and more and more games are on the net, I'm cutting the cord.
All my TV's are smart TV's so I should be able to stream everything from then.

The cable and sat providers know they have sports fans by the cajones.
I'm paying $60/month for local affiliates, TSN and Sportsnet (ESPN & FS1 equivalents in Canada) and HBO.
It's a huge rip-off. I'm looking forward to the day I can tell them to take a hike.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #14
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
HD Antenna
There is no such thing as an HD antenna. You get the same signal with a $8 pair of rabbit ears as you do a $40 "HD antenna" (unless you get one that is amplified). If you are craft you can build a pretty good antenna. Mounting one on your roof or outside would probably get the most consistent signal though.

Use this site - https://www.antennaweb.org/ - to see what kind of reception you might get.

I had an Amazon Stick and returned in. Their advertising makes it look like you can just plug it into an HDMI port and it's good, but they don't show that it still has a USB power cord. Never did bother to see if the USB plug on the TV would power it so I sold it.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #15
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I'm with you.
I'm a huge HD snob so I can't be bothered to watch anything in Standard Def, haha.
I see that Yahoo Sports is starting to stream MLB and NHL games.
If that trend continues, and more and more games are on the net, I'm cutting the cord.
All my TV's are smart TV's so I should be able to stream everything from then.

The cable and sat providers know they have sports fans by the cajones.
I'm paying $60/month for local affiliates, TSN and Sportsnet (ESPN & FS1 equivalents in Canada) and HBO.
It's a huge rip-off. I'm looking forward to the day I can tell them to take a hike.
I'm the same way, I subscribe to MLB.TV and NFLST through my wife's school, plus with PSVue getting NFL Network & NFL RedZone, i'll be pretty much set.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2016, 11:00 AM   #16
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlNachos
There is no such thing as an HD antenna. You get the same signal with a $8 pair of rabbit ears as you do a $40 "HD antenna" (unless you get one that is amplified). If you are craft you can build a pretty good antenna. Mounting one on your roof or outside would probably get the most consistent signal though.

Use this site - https://www.antennaweb.org/ - to see what kind of reception you might get.

I had an Amazon Stick and returned in. Their advertising makes it look like you can just plug it into an HDMI port and it's good, but they don't show that it still has a USB power cord. Never did bother to see if the USB plug on the TV would power it so I sold it.
Well, how else would it get powered? An HDMI port is not a power source. I think you missed out here. My kids got us one for Christmas. The nice thing about it powering right from the TV USB is that when the TV is off, the AFTS is off. I use if primarily to run KODI and Netflix. This thing runs faster than my Raspberry Pi 2 (wired) even though it's wireless and pulling from my network extender.

By the way....there was another thread on this topic, though was on page 2:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ternative.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »