Home

LCD or OLED? - The TV Thread

This is a discussion on LCD or OLED? - The TV Thread within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 11-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #65

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Plasma or LCD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
Nice, Ive got a 50" Panasonic Plasma and love it. This rising blacks issue was something I heard about going in but also figured that since Im not a videophile I wont even notice it in all likelihood. What model did you end up getting if you dont mind me asking?
Viera, I believe is what it's called if I'm not mistaken. It rounded out to about 5 or 6 bucks over 500 dollars. That was really a solid price for me because, I was looking for something around that range at the time.

Edit: Found the recipe, 28.68 in tax. I hate taxes...so much.

Last edited by SouthernBrick; 11-14-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

Kashanova's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEC0CK2002
Change the aspect ratio.
not very reassuring.... thanks
Old 11-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #67
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
True. I like Sony, but it is a personal preference. Both are good TV's.
Yeah, some say they notice brighter "pop" colors on the Samsung's. And while that seems true, I notice their reds are too red. And Sony's color engine seems to be more natural, where Samsung seems over saturated.

You can not go wrong with either one. I too prefer Sony sets.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #68
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEC0CK2002
Sony and Samsung are 1a and 1b, IMO. Sony sets tend to be pricier.
Yep... Sony can justify the higher price on name recognition only. My in-laws refuse to buy a TV that doesn't have Sony on the front. Of course, they are the same people who have a 42" Sony LCD HDTV in the family room, but no HD signal. It was funny because they kept raving about how great their new TV looked (first non-CRT TV...the CRT died so my father-in-law went out that day and bought this TV without doing any research). When I got over there to check it out, I had to laugh because they had no HD signal (looked worse than the CRT). I politely mentioned that they might want to get an HD box from their cable provider, but that fell on deaf ears as the TV "already looked great".

It's funny because everyone has their favorites when it comes to this stuff - even those that have no idea what they're doing like my in-laws. I'm definitely a Samsung fan based on good past experience. My best friend swears by Sony. IMO, they both do very good things only slightly different.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #69
Banned

OVR: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb2124
Yep... Sony can justify the higher price on name recognition only. My in-laws refuse to buy a TV that doesn't have Sony on the front. Of course, they are the same people who have a 42" Sony LCD HDTV in the family room, but no HD signal. It was funny because they kept raving about how great their new TV looked (first non-CRT TV...the CRT died so my father-in-law went out that day and bought this TV without doing any research). When I got over there to check it out, I had to laugh because they had no HD signal (looked worse than the CRT). I politely mentioned that they might want to get an HD box from their cable provider, but that fell on deaf ears as the TV "already looked great".

It's funny because everyone has their favorites when it comes to this stuff - even those that have no idea what they're doing like my in-laws. I'm definitely a Samsung fan based on good past experience. My best friend swears by Sony. IMO, they both do very good things only slightly different.
I agree Mike. My next TV will probably be a Samsung. Though I have always had Sony.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:59 PM   #70
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie
After some serious thought, I am planning to go with either the Samsung LN55C630 or Sony Bravia KDL55EX500 LCD's. Both LCD's caught our eyes when looking around at various stores over the weekend. The LG 55LD520 55" LCD is coming in as a close third. The Samsung out of all 3 had the best picture from vivid colors. pop, and detail. If I can get one of these for $200-$300 less than the Sammy, I may go for it as CompUSA had the Sony for $1199, but the price has gone back up.

Are Samsungs the best for LCD's?
be careful with those sonys, I had to return mine from some bad clouding in the corners before I returned it last year, and the sound was not to loud.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 11-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #71
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

With any tv, it depends on the series. Not all Sonys, Samsungs, LG's, etc are the same. Some series are better then others. Like the Bravia 2 series for Sony is tight, the non Bravia Sony tvs aren't however. Same thing with Samsung, the 360 series were tight.

For DLPS, from relatives I have heard Mistisubisha is the brand to get.....And gamecock you know I am still eyeing that 73 inch Mistisubisha for $1500 LOL. My living room is big enough, it is 25 feet long and 12 feet wide.

Over all I like Samsung, LG and Sony. Sony is the pricest brand out there though. More important thing to look at is to make sure the tv has the features you are looking for. Like the number of HDMI slots, componets slots, USB slots, PC slots, where they got those slots. Some brands have them all on the back, some have them all on the side and some have them in both places.

I know one of my friends bought a 55 inch LCD, he wanted to mount it on the wall, but all the slots for connecting stuff was in back of the tv right in the center of the back at that. Which meant he had to buy a wall mount that stuck out from the wall, instead of one of those low profile wall mounts. Because there was no way he could plug anything in with a low profile mount, it was too close to the wall.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2010, 06:47 AM   #72
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

I still love my Vizio LED, it's backlit and the picture is stunning (to me) in my room. Compared it to Sony and Samsung, couldn't justify the $500-700 more for the name when to my eyes, the Vizio looked just as good if not better.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »