Home

LCD or OLED? - The TV Thread

This is a discussion on LCD or OLED? - The TV Thread within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 11-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
How is it for watching Blu-Ray?

I know they advertise 600Hz, where some LCDs say 120Hz/240Hz/340Hz etc.

And when I saw Pirates of the Caribbean in 120Hz on Blu-Ray when I was in a Circuit City two years ago, my jaw hit the floor. Same for Cars as well.

Do you get that same cool "motion flow effect" like it is "right there" with the Pasmas as you do on the 120Hz LCDs etc?
Plasma's don't do motion interpolation like lcd does, hence why you get that soap opera effect from a lcd.

Sent from my Awesome Phone via tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #26
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Plasma or LCD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Plasma's don't do motion interpolation like lcd does, hence why you get that soap opera effect from a lcd.

Sent from my Awesome Phone via tapatalk
I like that effect. I think it looks amazing! Darn, more choices now! /sigh

It is never easy.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 47
Me too it is like I there with scene I am watching. I like my LCD 120hz and 1080p a lot.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #28

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
This is pretty much fact here.

Especially burn in. It is still very much prevalent in Plasmas. A buddy of mine has a nice new Samsung, and his brother left a DVD title screen on for only 2 hours and it was burned in BAD. Took a few washes from the in menu tools, but it is still barely there. Hopefully it will eventually fade.

Plasmas are nice picture and bang for the buck, but are still very easily susceptible to burn in, regardless of what people say.

I wont leave static images even on an LCD cause there is a chance for them as well, but they can take much more abuse in that department.
I couldnt possibly disagree more. Saying that a plasma is still very susceptible to burn in based on a guy leaving a static image on the screen for 2 hours is crazy. If someone is going to leave a static image on screen for that long then its their own fault, hell when I had a CRT I would turn the TV off if I knew I was going to leave a static image on for more then 10 minutes. Making this comparison is like taking the most severe case and trying to act like burn in is still a big problem with plasma televisions when thats not the case.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #29
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

I have a 50" plasma and love, I have a 32" that I use for my gaming and Mac monitor, I love both, I would go plasma, the burn issue are of the past, I was so worried about it at first, but now I don't even bother worrying, still looks brand new. Both are lg and I enjoy both of them.

FYI, ur not going to get much for your dlp.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 11-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #30
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
I have a 50" plasma and love, I have a 32" that I use for my gaming and Mac monitor, I love both, I would go plasma, the burn issue are of the past, I was so worried about it at first, but now I don't even bother worrying, still looks brand new. Both are lg and I enjoy both of them.

FYI, ur not going to get much for your dlp.
Yeah, I was looking around on Craig's and ebay, I'll be lucky to get $350-$400.....maybe $450 w/ the stand if I can push it. Plus I still have a lamp brand new in box which is going for about $100 on ebay. I called Circuit City earlier in the year to get it from my warranty for the TV just in case I needed it, but haven't used it.

Last edited by CaptainZombie; 11-10-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:50 PM   #31
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
I couldnt possibly disagree more. Saying that a plasma is still very susceptible to burn in based on a guy leaving a static image on the screen for 2 hours is crazy. If someone is going to leave a static image on screen for that long then its their own fault, hell when I had a CRT I would turn the TV off if I knew I was going to leave a static image on for more then 10 minutes. Making this comparison is like taking the most severe case and trying to act like burn in is still a big problem with plasma televisions when thats not the case.
All I am saying, is, it may not be as bad as the past, but it still is no cake walk compared to LCDs or CRTs.

You can leave your LCD computer monitor on all day, with a static desktop image, and not have a burn in risk to that of a Plasma is all I am saying (it can burn in eventually, but it is still night and day in risk). I would never do that... my monitors all go into sleep after 10 minutes to conserve them and save power.

That is why my Dell 2405 is still as bright and crisp as the day I got it 4 years ago. Proper maintenance. Never have the brightness setting above 55.

I am not knocking Plasmas at all. I am leaning towards buying one very strongly. But it is still something to look out for if not too cautious compared to the other products.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #32
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
CZ, If you do go PLASMA, make sure you break it in (100 hours with minimal settings) & try your best to not let static images sit for long periods of time. I also would suggest maybe going SAMSUNG. I know Panasonic may offer a better TV, but it's been confirmed that the Black Levels will rise after time.(making them look greyish)

Also don't be put of by the LG Brand name. They are not far behind both Panny & Samsung in term of making a good TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishepa
Is that the "rising blacks" phenomenon I've been reading about? Do other companies plasmas do this?
Are "rising blacks" worse in the Panasonic G20/25 than if you were to get a Sammy Plasma? I'm still doing some research here on these TV's. A guy I work with might buy the DLP and stand from me for $400. He is going to think it through over the weekend.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »