Home

LCD or OLED? - The TV Thread

This is a discussion on LCD or OLED? - The TV Thread within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 11-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Plasma or LCD?

Some interesting thoughts so far. I need to continue looking around at the stores to compare the two. I like Samsung a lot, any other brands if I went with Plasma which are good like LG or Panasonic? I hear the VIERA series is good. We will see though, for some reason LCD just seems like the safer road.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

Panasonic makes some very nice plasma's. The VIERA series is very good.

I also like Samsung a lot. I'm looking at a few 3D plasma's and the Samsung model and Panasonic model I was looking at are neck and neck in most reviews. The Panasonic is a few hundred more so I'm leaning towards the Sammy.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie
We made our family room in the basement into a master bedroom over the summer. We moved everything in our living room upstairs, including the 50" DLP and there is not a lot of space in the living room. I have been toying around the idea of selling my DLP (w/ a spare brand new bulb) and getting an LCD or Plasma. The plan by getting the LCD or Plasma is to free up a whole bunch of space by the DLP and stand its on.

I was talking to a few people and they were telling me that newer Plasma's don't ghost anymore and burn-in isn't an issue being much better with still images. I see that I can get a 50" plasma (50" Samsung 1080p for $899 on sale) for much less than a 55" LCD (Samsung 1080p 120hz for $1499). We watch regular television shows, the news for about 45 minutes throughout the day (I worry about logos), my wife watches TV throughout the day, Blu-ray viewing, and I usually fire up the PS3 or 360 during the evening for about 1-2 hours depending on time. Because we have kids, I have to pause my gaming sometimes for 10-15 minutes if there is something I need attending to. Do they have screen savers on Plasma's?

The living room has a bay window with a lot of light during the day. The way the TV is facing, the window is to the left of it. The room is lightly dim in the evening since we have a lamp for lighting until I can install new lighting above the ceiling.

Do Plasma's still have to be broken in?

I can't pull the trigger till early December and I might even wait till around early next year..........but what do you guys think of the two? I have smaller LCD's at home already and love them, but wouldn't mind the plasma if its cheaper and can do the same.
This is literally almost everything you need to know George. The only thing I would add is that the newer plasmas will give you a longer lifespan than your standard LCD, whereas LEDs will be about the same.

Oh, and go with Panasonic, it's a much better brand of Plasma (if you go that route). If you go LED/LCD, then yah, Samsung is a great choice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb2124
It's personal taste, but I'd go Plasma>LED>LCD. IMO Plasma and LED are close with LCD a distant 3rd.

I think Plasma still has better blacks than an LED and handles motion blur better. A Plasma is also slightly cheaper so you get more for your buck.
Technically, that's not even opinion, it's just fact. Now, whether someone looks at the screen and prefers what they see is a whole different story, but the way you have them ranked on a technical level is 100% correct.

BTW, if you guys want to know why plasmas are cheaper... When Panasonic (for example) produces their TVs, they take a giant sheet of glass (sometimes over what would be considered a 200" screen) and they cut out exactly how many displays they need without any wasted material. When LCDs/LEDs are made, their screens are actually stamped out, and that extra material is thrown away. So, as a consumer, you're actually paying for what you purchase as well as that extra waste.

Last edited by DickDalewood; 11-10-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

CZ, here's a link clarifying the 2 types LCD TV's are the market. LED & CCFL. The term LED TV is a marketing term by companies:

http://reviews.cnet.com/led-tvs-revi...contentBody;3n

Here's another info link(Pro's V Con's) on Plasma V LCD:

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-tvs-plas...contentBody;pm

From reading your 1st post, It looks like LCD is your option due to the lighting of your living room during the day & the way the TV will be used. You just need to decide if LED or CCFL is what you want/can afford

Last edited by bigfnjoe96; 11-10-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb2124
Panasonic makes some very nice plasma's. The VIERA series is very good.

I also like Samsung a lot. I'm looking at a few 3D plasma's and the Samsung model and Panasonic model I was looking at are neck and neck in most reviews. The Panasonic is a few hundred more so I'm leaning towards the Sammy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
This is literally almost everything you need to know George. The only thing I would add is that the newer plasmas will give you a longer lifespan than your standard LCD, whereas LEDs will be about the same.

Oh, and go with Panasonic, it's a much better brand of Plasma (if you go that route). If you go LED/LCD, then yah, Samsung is a great choice.
That was interesting about the manufacturing about both the Plasma and LCD.

I was looking at the Panasonic VIERA today and it looked a bit nicer than the Samsung. I found out the Samsung I was interested in has a double pane glass which really was giving off a bad reflection. I then took a look at the VIERA which is single pane and the glare was not as bad. The price difference is $300, which is still several hundred dollars cheaper than the Samsung LCD I was looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
CZ, here's a link clarifying the 2 types LCD TV's are the market. LED & CCFL. The term LED TV is a marketing term by companies:

http://reviews.cnet.com/led-tvs-revi...contentBody;3n

Here's another info link(Pro's V Con's) on Plasma V LCD:

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-tvs-plas...contentBody;pm

Thanks Joe, I checked out those links. I'm starting to lean towards Plasma a bit considering they are deep on the blacks and good for gaming due to no motion blur.

From reading your 1st post, It looks like LCD is your option due to the lighting of your living room during the day & the way the TV will be used. You just need to decide if LED or CCFL is what you want/can afford
Old 11-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #15
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombie
That was interesting about the manufacturing about both the Plasma and LCD.

I was looking at the Panasonic VIERA today and it looked a bit nicer than the Samsung. I found out the Samsung I was interested in has a double pane glass which really was giving off a bad reflection. I then took a look at the VIERA which is single pane and the glare was not as bad. The price difference is $300, which is still several hundred dollars cheaper than the Samsung LCD I was looking at.
I answered your PM, but I'll post this here for you too:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...ract_desc=null

Same price as that Samsung ($899) you looked at, but a much better set. We can hardly keep this guy in stock. The other Viera you looked at for $300 more is the G20, which is THX certified, and is also internet connectable. While it's definitely more expensive, at $1099, it's inch for inch possibly THE best TV in the store.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #16
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
I answered your PM, but I'll post this here for you too:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...ract_desc=null

Same price as that Samsung ($899) you looked at, but a much better set. We can hardly keep this guy in stock. The other Viera you looked at for $300 more is the G20, which is THX certified, and is also internet connectable. While it's definitely more expensive, at $1099, it's inch for inch possibly THE best TV in the store.
I think that this one had a double pane glass which reflection and glare was bad, but I can't recall. I'll have to double check on this one again, thanks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »