Home

Anime/Manga Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on Anime/Manga Discussion Thread within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #17
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Anime/Manga Discussion Thread

You guys should check out Speed Grapher too if you've never seen it.

@wharton, Ghost in the Shell (every iteration) is one of my all time favorites. I just got S.A.C. 2ng Gig collector's tin for the box set with volume 7. Gonna add the other 6 volumes over the next few months since they are pretty pricey. Going to get Solid State Society soon as well.

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Old 02-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #18
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Yeah I think Ghost in the Shell kind of flew under the radar a bit since Anime wasn't quite at the beginning of it's American explosion (when Ninja Scroll blew up) but wasn't quite where it is now either. The first one was revolutionary though.

I watched a 1 hr special on the history of Anime (can't remember what it was called but it was on Starz and I know came on again about a week ago... something to look out for if you're interested) and they had some interesting info. Can't believe I didn't even notice this but the whole idea of the Matrix is clearly developed from Ghost in the Shell, and there are even scenes that are almost identical between the two.

Oh I also forgot to mention one more show that's worth checking out. Trigun. I know somebody was sporting Vash as their avatar around here for a while but can't remember who.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #19

trobinson97's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Yeah I think Ghost in the Shell kind of flew under the radar a bit since Anime wasn't quite at the beginning of it's American explosion (when Ninja Scroll blew up) but wasn't quite where it is now either. The first one was revolutionary though.

I watched a 1 hr special on the history of Anime (can't remember what it was called but it was on Starz and I know came on again about a week ago... something to look out for if you're interested) and they had some interesting info. Can't believe I didn't even notice this but the whole idea of the Matrix is clearly developed from Ghost in the Shell, and there are even scenes that are almost identical between the two.

Oh I also forgot to mention one more show that's worth checking out. Trigun. I know somebody was sporting Vash as their avatar around here for a while but can't remember who.

Proud to say that I noticed the similarities when I first saw the Matrix. The thing about that first Ghost in the Shell, when Ninja Scroll first jumped off over here, people were looking for more stuff like that. Bloody, ninja fights etc. While nothing is wrong with that ( I enjoy it too), GitS was a big drop off in adrenaline rush. The story was the focus, not the action and a lot of my college-mates just didn't want to deal with that at that point in time.

For bloody AND great story guys, check out Berserk. Both the anime and manga are great, moreso themanga because the story is a lot longer and goes more into detail. That's one that I can't recommend enough.

SteamID - Depotboy

What a run
Roll Tide

Old 02-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #20
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

That's true, especially since it was by Manga. I was personally expecting more action from Ghost in the Shell myself, but got caught up in the story. I can see how a lot of people wouldn't have "got it".
Old 02-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #21
We ain't cool de la?

eDotd's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
..but Afro Samauri may be my true favorite. Here's a clip.
I don't know, I might be the only one who wasn't thrilled with Afro Samurai. Everybody I know who has watched it is in love with and I can see why other people like it. I loved the animation but the story was way to short and predictable for me.

As for Ghost..I need to check it out. I was going to watch it a while ago after my friend keep raving on and on about it but I don't know what happened. I think I started watching basilisk or claymore...I know it was on of those. I keep saying I'm gonna watch it but I never get around to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con-Con
Honestly, some of the posters on here are acting like Rob Jones boned your girl while you were at work, on you own sheets BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Mo is the Operator from the Matrix.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #22

trobinson97's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentousceltic
I don't know, I might be the only one who wasn't thrilled with Afro Samurai. Everybody I know who has watched it is in love with and I can see why other people like it. I loved the animation but the story was way to short and predictable for me.

As for Ghost..I need to check it out. I was going to watch it a while ago after my friend keep raving on and on about it but I don't know what happened. I think I started watching basilisk or claymore...I know it was on of those. I keep saying I'm gonna watch it but I never get around to it.

Nah you're not the only one. I was excited for it, but I wasn't satisfied after watching. The action was nice, but I wasn't really keen on that story. It was cool to hear Sam Jackson voicing the main character though.

SteamID - Depotboy

What a run
Roll Tide

Old 02-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #23
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentousceltic

If I did a hard analysis of Afro I could pick it apart... especially the flow of the story compared to say Ninja Scroll. It also started to drag a bit toward the end and there's plenty else to criticize. But with all that said, just the idea of it is something I've wanted to see since I was a kid either at home watching GI Joe or at the drive in watching a Bruce Lee flick. Conceptually, it combines so many things and is a huge step in the right direction. There's another (or series) coming out too, so it should get better. Definitely not free of criticism though.

With that said, when you watch Ghost in the Shell (the first one) be sure to take it in context of when it came out. It's got a pretty deep story though I think it stands the test of time but you never know.

BTW, I'm feelin your avatar.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #24
Stop! Homer Time!

theaub's Arena

OVR: 35

Yay anime.

Currently watching Hayate no Gotoku (although it appears that subbing for it has stopped which sucks), and Major. And although I hate to admit it, I can do the dance from Haruhi

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »