Home

College Sports Are the Ultimate Sports Video Games

This is a discussion on College Sports Are the Ultimate Sports Video Games within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2024, 12:41 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
College Sports Are the Ultimate Sports Video Games

March Clark Madness ended yesterday and UConn goes for the back-to-back tonight, and we're just around...

Written By: Chase Becotte

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2024, 12:49 PM   #2
All Star

OVR: 35
Re: College Sports Are the Ultimate Sports Video Games

There are other college games coming from indie developers:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1.../College_Bowl/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...orm_The_Court/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2024, 04:42 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Agreed Chase. That's why we need a college basketball game from 2K and a college baseball game from EA to come out. I'm old enough to remember playing them when we had them. Most fun I've had with any sports video game.

Last edited by bransen; 04-08-2024 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:06 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I agree. College Sports games are able to retain me compared to Professional, all for the reasons posted in the article. I don't even like watching College Basketball, and I would play a college Basketball game. I literally can only name that Zach Eddy and that NC State player Burns I think as male CBB players.

--Roster construction is a major difference. With Professional sports games, you have FA and draft where your roster is pretty much set by year 3 if you're doing a full rebuild. You're roster is never set in College Sports. There's constant turnover and you have to always keep an eye on the future. The transfer portal presents an interesting twist. You can use the Portal to supplement roster and plug immediate needs. Imagine starting a 1 star dynasty rebuild and being able to use the Transfer Portal to infuse some starting quality players in there to Jumpstart the rebuild. The downside of the Transfer Portal should be present as well which should make the mode challenging. Gone are the days where you could just hoard talent and sit and develop them until their JR or SR year. We're going to have to re-recruit players and lose depth. Imagine losing your heir apparent at QB because he didn't want to wait until JR year to start. Those events would force you to pivot. You're not getting that with Professional sports

-The endgame could be a lot longer in college games. As a coach in a professional sports game, there are limited jobs. There is no job jumping or "better situation". Your job is to make whatever Professional job into a Dynasty. In College Sports, the Coach Carousel aspect gives the mode replay ability. You can either stay at one school and build them into a Juggernaut. You can work your way up and job jump until you get to preffered destination. If you want a challenge after building a Juggernaut, the option to drop down to a lesser school is likely available. For me, winning a championship in a pro sports game, feels like I beat the mode. Being a Juggernaut in a pro game is very different than in a college game. In a pro game, as a Juggernaut, your core is the same, you're just supplementing the rest of the roster. With that, you're pretty much getting the same experience each season as a Juggernaut. College Sports has constant turnover. So as a Juggernaut, you're roster Flips over pretty much every 2 years. So even if you recruit the same type of player, it'll feel different since it's different players

-College Atmosphere is a lot different then PROs. You have the traditions, bands, pageantry, rivalry, mascots, fight songs, etc. Those things don't have the same type of appeal in PROs. College Sports games did a great job capturing the College atmosphere. When I think of a game like Madden, I haven't cared for its atmosphere or presentation. But, it's harder for me to pin point how to make it feel more like the NFL without copying a Network broadcast compared to college sports where you have all the College Intangibles to lean on.
Old 04-09-2024, 09:15 AM   #5
MVP

PPerfect_CJ's Arena

OVR: 8

Yeah, now that we are finally getting college football back, I'm definitely about to get greedy and need college basketball back, too!
#WeAreND
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2024, 11:35 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Cool Re: College Sports Are the Ultimate Sports Video Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfect_CJ
Yeah, now that we are finally getting college football back, I'm definitely about to get greedy and need college basketball back, too!
I always dismissed the idea of college basketball games coming back. They didn't sell well on the past and it feels like most people don't tune in until March Madness. But, with howthe viewership numbers we're this tournament, the interest could be there to warrant a new game. It just depends on if 2k is willing to get back into the CBB market. I say just 2k, because they're the only AAA publisher equipped to take on the project. With cost of development and licensing costs, I don't see any other publisher jumping into CBB market, even EA. If NBA Live was still around, I could see EA jump into CBB. But, I don't see them investing the necessary costs for a game that might not sell well/bring in enough revenue. Even though most expect EA CFB 25 to do well, EA isn't dependent on EA CFB 25 to sell like a flagship title. If you're creating a current gen basketball engine from scratch, along with dev costs, you would want the game to sell well. At least with 2k, they have the engine in place. I just don't know if the interest is there. From 2k16-2k22, there was some type of college inclusion in MyCareer. The last couple years, I don't believe there was any. The positive j can say is that 2k Sports has started to expand its portfolio, so there's a chance
Old 04-09-2024, 12:57 PM   #7
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

The transfer portal is the X factor for this game and has the potential to make it a even better experience for us that go deep in dynasty. Because I know recruiting will be fun even if its more simple then I would like it to be.

I was listening to a podcast today and they said we spend so much time feeling sorry for the coaches that have to worry about losing players. Then skip over that you can fix the issues your team has with proven players. If it works like FA screen or something and you can bid on players that will be fun. Yet if you go sign someone it may make your current players mad.

The hoarding talent was a game breaking type issue as I'm back playing 14 some. I've almost always got a 3rd string QB that's a 90 overall and 5th string that's mid 80's. I'm having to cut 97 overall QB's and just pretend they went to the transfer portal. One reason is because the flowed progression system of NCAA14 where everyone went up 3-6 points. Where Madden mostly you needed to play to improve. I assume the days of automatically redshirting everyone I sign is over with

A lot of people like to start at smaller schools and if it's done right a good chance you will lose those players before they graduate. Hopefully there is a like a tab where you can keep track of players happiness or pull it up in their profile. You may have to start the worst player just to keep him happy so he wont transfer out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
The transfer portal presents an interesting twist. You can use the Portal to supplement roster and plug immediate needs. Imagine starting a 1 star dynasty rebuild and being able to use the Transfer Portal to infuse some starting quality players in there to Jumpstart the rebuild. The downside of the Transfer Portal should be present as well which should make the mode challenging. Gone are the days where you could just hoard talent and sit and develop them until their JR or SR year. We're going to have to re-recruit players and lose depth. Imagine losing your heir apparent at QB because he didn't want to wait until JR year to start. Those events would force you to pivot. You're not getting that with Professional sports

Last edited by georgiafan; 04-09-2024 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:28 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan
The transfer portal is the X factor for this game and has the potential to make it a even better experience for us that go deep in dynasty. Because I know recruiting will be fun even if its more simple then I would like it to be.

I was listening to a podcast today and they said we spend so much time feeling sorry for the coaches that have to worry about losing players. Then skip over that you can fix the issues your team has with proven players. If it works like FA screen or something and you can bid on players that will be fun. Yet if you go sign someone it may make your current players mad.

The hoarding talent was a game breaking type issue as I'm back playing 14 some. I've almost always got a 3rd string QB that's a 90 overall and 5th string that's mid 80's. I'm having to cut 97 overall QB's and just pretend they went to the transfer portal. One reason is because the flowed progression system of NCAA14 where everyone went up 3-6 points. Where Madden mostly you needed to play to improve. I assume the days of automatically redshirting everyone I sign is over with

A lot of people like to start at smaller schools and if it's done right a good chance you will lose those players before they graduate. Hopefully there is a like a tab where you can keep track of players happiness or pull it up in their profile. You may have to start the worst player just to keep him happy so he wont transfer out.

With the Transfer Portal, hopefully they change the starting point of Dynasty. In the past, it was okay to start the mode at the Recruiting Board section then immediately to season opener. With the Transfer Portal being an option, it would be nice to start off at the around the Bowl Season point and be able to get players from the portal to Jumpstart the rebuild.it would also be cool to see guys transfer out if you are implementing a scheme they don't fit in or just because they the previous coach more

There definitely needs to be some type of morale system. Yes, it doesn't always seem to be logic in real life when it comes to the Portal. But, there needs to be logic in the game for it to not feel broken and to make sense. If I bring in a starter via portal, it should drop the previously projected starter's morale and make them considering transferring. I do think having a Spring Game would be ideal. It would be nice for the player to ask if he could compete for the job and you give them a chance in the Spring Game. There needs to be a morale system that is based on playing time, relationship with coach, team success, and future position outlook. I think that is doable..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »